Bookshelf Speaker + appropriate amp! Total budget $5000 TOPS!

39 minutes ago, Suopermanni said:

Hey stereo.net!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! All your suggestions look fantastic! It will take me a few months to get enough free funds to sustainably get a set but in the meanwhile, i will try demoing more speakers!

I have picked my amp out though!

I would be buying speakers first, and then finding an amp to match.

Not the other way around.

If you are still looking for speakers I have a set of the aforementioned ML1's here you are welcome to bring your amp out for a play if you are up for a drive at some point (I'm about 3 hours from brissy).

I may be looking to sell them soonish, otherwise I think Mike will have a second hand set for sale soon too

• 3 weeks later...

@Suopermanni You're going to laugh at this but if you can get hold of a pair of Usher S-520's http://www.usheraudio.com.tw/product/s-520-bookshelf/

and something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sansui-AU-3900-Amplifier-/122405546091?hash=item1c7ff0686b:g:7xYAAOSwuLZYzzNO

for around $600 you will be absolutely gobsmacked. I'm running an AU-4900 with my Ushers and it's divine. You don't need to spend $5k to get good sound.

Want to know how good this combo is? I have a pair of PMC TB2S+'s, a Plinius 9200 and a Plinius CD101. I hardly ever listen to it anymore. I walk in the room and put the Sansui/Ushers on. Sad but true.

Edited by blakey72
  • Like 2

Well if you get $600 together give it a try! I bet you'll be amazed at the performance to cost ratio. You'll lose nothing out of it either. Sansui's will always give your money back and Ushers are hard to find so you'll have no problem offloading them. I bet you'll keep it though. Even as a second system ;)

Guy's whilst the advice is great and of benefit to others in this position suopermanni pulled the funds quite a while back. Mate hope the situation changes for you soon. Without a regular income I'd be about 16 weeks away from hitting the wall. And first off the rank to be sold would be the hifi..... It's a luxury indeed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Suopermanni said:

I've got employment but it's just a temporary position. I'd like a more permanent one but they don't seem to be coming easily. I'm also trying to reskill/upskill to get a better outcome.

Great stuff mate. Never give up. Something will come along if you're keen enough. Upskilling is a wise way to go. I'm 44 and still at uni haha.

Guest OldSchool1
On 2016/11/10 at 3:39 PM, Juicester said:

don't split your budget 50 50. Spend $4000 on speakers and $1000 on amp... ;)

then $5 on cables