iMac pro release 28/10/16

http://www.apple.com/au/macbook-pro/

Here it is that I've been waiting for.  6th gen processor used...about time.  New graphics card.   4 USB-C ports that support charging.  Data transfer of 40gb/s.  

Way too expensive for me, out of my price range, they need to go to 1tb as standard 512GB is no longer applicacable due to the resource hungry software and OS.  

And no touch screen is an absolute blow on those looking at the Surface Pro, HP or Lenovo.  

• Like 1

For my workplace, we use Alienware 17inch laptops.  Not cheap PC laptops but at face value, more value for money than the new MacBook Pro.

Basically we use AutoCAD (cad design) and  graphics card is important.

Workstation laptops are start from $5k typically. Little bit expensive for pour engineering firm.

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

http://www.apple.com/au/macbook-pro/

Here it is that I've been waiting for.  6th gen processor used...about time.  New graphics card.   4 USB-C ports that support charging.  Data transfer of 40gb/s.  

Way too expensive for me, out of my price range, they need to go to 1tb as standard 512GB is no longer applicacable due to the resource hungry software and OS.  

And no touch screen is an absolute blow on those looking at the Surface Pro, HP or Lenovo.  

great to see this step forward. finally 1TB - 2TB onboard, curiously the larger 15" get better video but lower max processor vs the 13" 

the 13" limited in SSD for some reason. 15" gets better graphics ?

1 hour ago, :) al said:

great to see this step forward. finally 1TB - 2TB onboard, curiously the larger 15" get better video but lower max processor vs the 13" 

the 13" limited in SSD for some reason. 15" gets better graphics ?

@:) al

the standard over the counter is 512GB still!   

1-2TB is an option!  The 2TB is a shade under $2k extra!  So we are talking over $6k for 2TB top of the line MacBook Pro.

There is also an option to upgrade on the video card.

No option for RAM that comes standard 16GB.

2 hours ago, firefly0071 said:

For my workplace, we use Alienware 17inch laptops.  Not cheap PC laptops but at face value, more value for money than the new MacBook Pro.

Basically we use AutoCAD (cad design) and  graphics card is important.

Workstation laptops are start from $5k typically. Little bit expensive for pour engineering firm.

Ive seen the Alienware gear and it's basically a standard high performance Pc in a laptop.  Weights a ton,  when we look at them, the MacBook Pro won out on weight wise and battery performance.  The Allenware are a good alternative when you look at laptops at this caliper.

we have a 10 year old white MacBook...that just doesnt seem to die...

and a 15" 2011 model that apple just got upto speed....

so no real rush...

I'll wait till next year I think and review situation...then will have to toss up which to get for a 2nd machine... get a 13 to replace the 13" antique or get another 15" and the current becomes our 2nd machine...

it is costly though. wouldnt get a machine with less than 1TB these days...

and id want to max out on ram and best graphics option. we keep our machines a long while no point getting a low rung thing I dont think.

Guest thathifiguy

I still have my 2010 MBP that I recently upgraded to SSD.

Still flies, surprised I've managed to get this much time out of it tbh, but not complaining!

7 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

I still have my 2010 MBP that I recently upgraded to SSD.

Still flies, surprised I've managed to get this much time out of it tbh, but not complaining!

how do you think we feel about our old white  MacBook. yep flying to, we have maxed it out with ram and a little SSD though. great little machine :)

So far lots of negative feedback.

The obvious being the standard of 256 and 512GB SSD, no touch screen and no card slots.  

Like I said at this day and age those resource hungry applications will get into that small HDD and you start to run out of space!  Not just the apps but the OS, as they consistantly upgrade the OS and introduce bug fixes it's usually Huge updates. 

Both my kids with MacBook pros stores data externally 

Edited by Addicted to music

4 hours ago, Sime said:

I'm not up to date at all on PC hardware, but are these new MacBooks up to spec for today? (Not including HHD space)

There are other competitors such HP, Lenovo and Surface Pro are in the forefront of this market.  

It looks like Apple has just attempted to just keep up with current market benchmarks with this release. The 256/512GB standard is a big deal, on over the counter models is a real let down as I said with resource hungry apps.  Then there the updates and the corrections they do to the OS.

t

10 hours ago, Sime said:

I'm not up to date at all on PC hardware, but are these new MacBooks up to spec for today? (Not including HHD space)

That really depends on how you define it....  it's very subjective.

They have 6th gen Intel processors.    7g is about to land ( = better battery life).    We'll need to wait until next year for these in Macbook Pro.

They don't offer WiDi (wireless displays)

You can't have more than 16GB RAM

They've removed the SD card slot

You need the 15" model to get more GPU power  (although the 5xx Intel series GPUs in the 13" are certainly not terrible)

Storage performance is excellent (and is also now upgradable)

Keyboard is polarising opinions

Display and trackpad are both fantastic

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

HP, Lenovo and Surface Pro

The 256/512GB standard is a big deal, on over the counter models is a real let down as I said with resource hungry apps.

???

When I just have a look at these manufacturers, I don't see any of their advertised models offering above 512GB of flash storage in a "base model".

As an example.   Microsoft let you put 1TB flash storage in the Surface4  (standard is 128 or 256) .... however ONLY if you also purchase the i7 processor AND purchase 16GB RAM  (price = $4200)

6 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Then there the updates and the corrections they do to the OS.

Something seems wrong here.

I just looked at one of my main workhorses here.   It's been upgraded from 10.8 all the way through current 10.12 .... and had EVERY small point release installed along the way  (it's the sacrificial lamb).

The OS is using 17GB.

(NB - This is including /Library .... but not including /Applications)

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

???

When I just have a look at these manufacturers, I don't see any of their advertised models offering above 512GB of flash storage in a "base model".

As an example.   Microsoft let you put 1TB flash storage in the Surface4  (standard is 128 or 256) .... however ONLY if you also purchase the i7 processor AND purchase 16GB RAM  (price = $4200)

Something seems wrong here.

I just looked at one of my main workhorses here.   It's been upgraded from 10.8 all the way through current 10.12 .... and had EVERY small point release installed along the way  (it's the sacrificial lamb).

The OS is using 17GB.

(NB - This is including /Library .... but not including /Applications)

The main reason on not using a bigger SSD 512 is cost and battery life.  As soon as you go up the scale beyond 512GB  its worst draining that battery than a normal spinner at the same size these are the findings of the pros and cons back in 2013.   This is the reason why most are  sticking up to 512GB in SSD.  Not sure what they said about speed but im sure that a SSD will be a factor above a mechanical drive.  

The OS may be 17-20GB, the application depending what your using, say for example CS6 or Lightroom may be 4GB.   We have a 2013 MacBook Pro that has the 1st I7 quad core processor with 8GB of ram, all SSD no mechanical drives.  even with 200GB free, processing RAW image files out of a Canon 5D3 20m pixel to combines images sets it of with fans going full throttle.   At about 60-80 processing you get a message to prop up that says "out of disc storage processing space" Stick and extra 128GB flash drive on the end of the USB port and remove to give room for the 512GB and the process goes to completion.  

So you may think that the OS occupies 17-20gb and SC6 up to 4GB there is space required for processing.   

Im using a Lenovo 240x for work that has a 500GB HDD  spinner, I have only 50-60GB left of storage.   And as a work Laptop I can't do the things I need to do, 

But to a normal guy doing just Internet and general computing, the over the counter 256/512GB will be enough.  Who knows whats updates there are for apps such as SC6 and Lightroom and the OS.

Even Fiery Command Workstation.  A system software can start With 12gb, in 12mths I've seen a system software that controls an industrial color printer go from a 12gb file to 35GB all in patches and updates. 

So You have to asked the question, do you put battery usage as a priority in you're design concept to take over priority in disc space, or do you design for future resource hungry apps?  In this case Apple is "just keeping up with the jones"  even with the 4 USB-C ports, where in 2010-13 they were market leaders with benchmark products.

@davewantsmoore

heres a a file that just maded in Lightroom if CS6 isn't incorporated.  Watch the details as he zooms into the the tallest building Rialto.  

There is I believe about 30 shots combined to get this landscape of Melbourne.

check also the details on the left had side of the files, note the file size.  And this prompts out of disc space if he incorporate SC6.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 10/30/2016 at 9:19 AM, Addicted to music said:

And this prompts out of disc space if he incorporate SC6.

So, add more disk space.    I fail to see the issue.

You can add 1TB of internal storage, or practically limitless storage via TB3.

On 10/30/2016 at 0:31 AM, Addicted to music said:

Welcome to the real world

Not quite sure what you mean.   You're talking about 2013.    I'm talking about now (ie. the real world).    Perhaps I've misunderstood you?!

16 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

So, add more disk space.    I fail to see the issue.

You can add 1TB of internal storage, or practically limitless storage via TB3.

Not quite sure what you mean.   You're talking about 2013.    I'm talking about now (ie. the real world).    Perhaps I've misunderstood you?!

The point being is that you think that just because OS is 17gb and CS6 and Lightroom that possible be 6gb is enough for a 512 SSD judging from you previous post, that may be correct but the OS and apps need space to breathe, and even if we left 200GB free on the SSD that 512gb is clearly not enough.

for us 512gb is clearly not enough. we are already close to 700GB on our main machine. 1TB would be minimum these days id be looking at.

I know if say heavily into cloud computing then can keep on deck storage to a minimum. but then have to trust a cloud and be paying through the nose for one and be sure of its security.

I want to do neither. 

perhaps ill wait till 1TB gets the norm. price of memory only drops... 

• Like 1