Garrott P77

I bought a brand new p77i on the boxing day specials, got a great deal on it. 20% off rrp.

Its such a nice cart, very good at dealing with surface noise.

i also find this shape cart easier to set up than the shape of the ortofon 2Ms which ive had in the past.

i started off with a k2 as well, then bought this one just on the basis that i liked the sound of the k2.

using a rega vta adapter to raise up the tonearm base. 

On 25/02/2019 at 7:02 PM, nkoulban said:

I had an original P77, what a great cart!  I sold it after I went digital in the mid 1990s.  I'm now back into analogue and the closest cart I have found that sounds like it (as best as I can recall) is the LP Gear The Vessel.  The body is made by the Excel Sound Corp in Japan which I understand also makes the P77 body. 

A & R Cambridge (Arcam)......https://www.vinylengine.com/images/model/arcam_p77.jpg

Unless Excel make that for A&R as well....??

PS: Just found this on VE regading the A&R P77:

"The original P77 started with a Weinz Paroc stylus profile on a conventional Japanese-sourced body/ cantilever, chosen for good rigidity and sensible compliance. This stylus is now replaced by a special elliptical / line profiled tip, which is fitted in the UK.".....so, a 'Japanese sourced body'......you are likely correct. ?

Edited by stevoz

I am running a P77i and have not felt the need for any particular adjustment. It is /was carefully aligned and set up but there was nothing particularly noteworthy when we were setting it up. Perhaps the i version is different?

Anyway , I use and enjoy mine every day. I loved the Garrott carts back when the brothers made them ( RIP to both ) and I still enjoy the new stuff.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rantan said:

I am running a P77i and have not felt the need for any particular adjustment. It is /was carefully aligned and set up but there was nothing particularly noteworthy when we were setting it up. Perhaps the i version is different?

Anyway , I use and enjoy mine every day. I loved the Garrott carts back when the brothers made them ( RIP to both ) and I still enjoy the new stuff.

OMG, you guys have me excited now. The K3 has been such a great and rock solid performer I’m gong to send to to TT-2 with its own head shell so I can enjoy it in the further. May have an almost unused K2 for sale. 

Am I right in assuming the Garrott K and P77 bodies are the same, ie: by adding a P77 stylus to a K3 for instance, it then becomes a P77? I always thought all the Garrott bodies under the Optim were the same (they're all 'dynamic coil') and were determined by stylus type......but maybe this just goes for the K series. ?

51 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Am I right in assuming the Garrott K and P77 bodies are the same, ie: by adding a P77 stylus to a K3 for instance, it then becomes a P77? I always thought all the Garrott bodies under the Optim were the same (they're all 'dynamic coil') and were determined by stylus type......but maybe this just goes for the K series. ?

I think the P77i is a different beast. Read the blurb, it’s not the same animali. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I think the P77i is a different beast. Read the blurb, it’s not the same animali. 

The bodies of the early Garrotts were all the same as A&R Cambridge P,E and C's. This included the Garrott P66 and P77. No idea about the 77i.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You can easily tell if the diamond is a bonded type or not , by eyesight alone.  The whole modus operandi of the Garrott enterprise  is  fitting  high grade diamonds to their house brand models and the cartridges sent in for refurbishment.

38 minutes ago, VanArn said:

You can easily tell if the diamond is a bonded type or not , by eyesight alone. 

Hi VanArn,

In my first post I was sticking to verifiable facts. My Rega does not have a removable headshell, but using a hand lens I can see a nude diamond there.

Just bought a P77i. Not as good a price as I hoped but got Tivoli down a bit with postage. $520. They claim the micro-scanner profile is optimum. More detail. 

We will see.
Hi Mark,

Any update on the cart? How does it compare to the K2?

Cheers,

Ian.

25 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

Hi Mark,

Any update on the cart? How does it compare to the K2?

Cheers,

Ian.

My standard cart in the main rig was a K3. I also have a K2 in system two. 

The K3 is very good and there wasn’t a huge difference from K3 to P77i. But the P77i is better. Just richer and more depth. If you can stretch to a P77i it’s worth it. Failing that the K3 is extremely enjoyable. 

• Like 2

Thanks Mark i can understand the description "richer" with reference to the P77(i) sound.
The only quandry now is to put a new stylus on my P77 or try the SAS stylus.....
Has any one done this or heard it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2019 at 6:37 PM, TOPSHELF said:

The only quandry now is to put a new stylus on my P77 or try the SAS stylus.....
Has any one done this or heard it?

I'd love to know as well. I have a P77, but don't know the state of the stylus.

Can anyone clarify which styli will fit the original P77 as a replacement? To my knowledge the The SAS 1 fits (which currently only seems to be available from Thakker, and a Shure N91E (not ED) fits, so therefore this Jico one should fit?

I also came across this: "We resume taking orders of the Super Analog Stylus Series".

• Like 1

Hi@flanders, thank you for posting the options. The other one to consider is the Garrot bros replacement but at $400 i would be tempted to get a new P77i for $600.
From all my reading i am leaning towards the SAS 1....
I would like to try a new Garrott p77i though...

I've done this.....

In fact I've done this three times....?

I had three Garrott P77 cartridges in the 80s (two bought directly from John and Brian Garrott).

IMG_2412.thumb.jpg.c802bd0b5ddf0c60babacdbc3edd2f74.jpgIMG_2446.thumb.jpg.ca84c440b5488000f88b067e0b8e7462.jpg

I loved those cartridges but for the next twenty years, I joined the LOMC community.

When I returned to MMs in about 2007, I bought an original Jico SAS (boron cantilever) stylus for one of them...

P1090232.thumb.jpeg.fd40165903da8ff5a590e03c182810f1.jpeg

And it transformed the P77 into a world-beater :drool:

I decided to try the Neo-SAS (Sapphire and Ruby) when they replaced the Boron....

P1090230.thumb.jpeg.6180134b61b3a22030353ff76d734ea8.jpegP1090247.thumb.jpeg.6ec676c8c9bc3e4df2cc8a46d24efaca.jpegP1090236.thumb.jpeg.846af32ab2be77b7938654defb78e213.jpeg

And wrote a review of the original P77 in 2009 

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/garrott-p77-mm-cartridge

And wrote a further review in 2017 comparing the three SAS styli..

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/jico-sas-vs-neo-sas-s-vs-neo-sas-r

As Jico have now begun taking orders for all three SAS styli (after a year's hiatus)......I'd recommend anyone who has an original P77, to run (don't walk) to your nearest computer to place your order...:frantics:

Edited by Halcro
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

Hi@flanders, thank you for posting the options. The other one to consider is the Garrot bros replacement but at $400 i would be tempted to get a new P77i for $600.
From all my reading i am leaning towards the SAS 1....
I would like to try a new Garrott p77i though...

So $400 is a retip or the whole stylus assembly?

2 hours ago, Halcro said:

I've done this.....

In fact I've done this three times....?

I had three Garrott P77 cartridges in the 80s (two bought directly from John and Brian Garrott).

I loved those cartridges but for the next twenty years, I joined the LOMC community.

When I returned to MMs in about 2007, I bought an original Jico SAS (boron cantilever) stylus for one of them...

And it transformed the P77 into a world-beater :drool:

I decided to try the Neo-SAS (Sapphire and Ruby) when they replaced the Boron....

And wrote a review of the original P77 in 2009 

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/garrott-p77-mm-cartridge

And wrote a further review in 2017 comparing the three SAS styli..

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/jico-sas-vs-neo-sas-s-vs-neo-sas-r

As Jico have now begun taking orders for all three SAS styli (after a year's hiatus)......I'd recommend anyone who has an original P77, to run (don't walk) to your nearest computer to place your order...:frantics:

Wow you must like the P77 to return to it after 20 years! Thanks for sharing your experiences. 

So you reckon the SAS 1 is better than the original stylus?

19 minutes ago, flanders said:

Wow you must like the P77 to return to it after 20 years! Thanks for sharing your experiences. 

So you reckon the SAS 1 is better than the original stylus?

Like chalk and cheese......

You need to go to the Jico Website

https://www.jico-stylus.com/index.php?cPath=88&osCsid=0bufha4eka5gqh0jqm4tf3vvf5

You can see the SAS-STYLUS 1

That's the one that fits the Garrott P77 but they don't appear to have any stock of those yet.

They have the SAS for the Shure V15/III with Boron cantilever

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1575&osCsid=0bufha4eka5gqh0jqm4tf3vvf5

And also with Sapphire

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1685&osCsid=0bufha4eka5gqh0jqm4tf3vvf5

They have the SAS for the Victor Z1 with Boron

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=1569&osCsid=0bufha4eka5gqh0jqm4tf3vvf5

And also with Sapphire

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=1649&osCsid=0bufha4eka5gqh0jqm4tf3vvf5

You need to Contact them and ask them to let you know when the SAS-STYLUS 1 is available.

Meanwhile....you can pick up a used Victor Z1 (without stylus you can get one for $100) and buy the SAS for that.

Believe it or not....it's even better than the P77/SAS....:hyper: