12v DC Linear power supply for DAC

Hi folks,

I have got a Chord 2Qute dac which I have been using for a while with its standard wallwart power adapter. It sounds great already but I am curious to try it with a good quality linear power supply.

I did some reading online and found mixed opinions on whether a LPS makes a different or not, including the statement from the designer himself that it doesnt gain anything by using LPS. But there are others who swear by improvement they have experienced.

Before I buy one, I'd like to try one and see if it does improve things. If anyone of you have a suitable one, can I please borrow it for few days? Happy to pay in beers :-)

Note that the Chord's standard power adapter is rated at 12v 500ma.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep I'd recommend Clay's PSUs as well.

Have you had a chat to Clay (Geiseler Audio)? His power supplies are supposed to be fantastic. I reckon he'd help,one way or another?

Thanks guys :thumb: I will check it out.

• 8 months later...

I also have a 2 qute and confirm there is an audible improvement with a linear psu, I actually have one of Clay's and it's great. 

Very mixed reviews and opinions online, as many people saying it makes no difference as there is saying it's night and day improvement.

my opinion - it makes a difference. Night and day? No not quite, more like a subtle but noticeable upgrade. Most notably bass depth and dynamics are improved. The chord is already a fantastic dac, a lpsu doesn't change its character, simply delivers more of it 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Runaway

I have one of Geiselet 12V PSU wh I'm not using.  Happy for you to try and if it makes a difference, we can negotiate a price if you are interested.  PM me.

49 minutes ago, Runaway said:

I have one of Geiselet 12V PSU wh I'm not using.  Happy for you to try and if it makes a difference, we can negotiate a price if you are interested.  PM me.

What is the rated amps on that PSU please?

56 minutes ago, Runaway said:

Hey man, thanks for the offer. But i have since moved on from Chord DAC long ago. Its a great dac but sadly I never got a chance to try it with a quality PSU before i sold it.

Cheers.