Oppo 203 / 205 Linear Power Supply Upgrade

I have a 203 and 205 that I use on a regular basis and I was considering purchasing a linear power upgrade for either one or both.

My question is has anyone tried one of these linear power supply upgrades in their 203/205 and did the PS upgrade make a noticeable improvement?

I look forward to hearing back from anyone who has tried any of the various upgrades available for the Oppo 203/205.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

I have used PSU upgrades from 2 different companies. I have tried like 5 different LPU models, upgrading to better ones as they are released. They make a big difference and are an essential purchase. They improve both audio and video output.

I do not have the 203/205, but I used them in the 93/95 and now the 103/105

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agisthos said:

I have used PSU upgrades from 2 different companies. I have tried like 5 different LPU models, upgrading to better ones as they are released. They make a big difference and are an essential purchase. They improve both audio and video output.

I do not have the 203/205, but I used them in the 93/95 and now the 103/105

Thank you for that information, out of interest what brand of psu did you find  provided the best results?

cheers Terry

53 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Thank you for that information, out of interest what brand of psu did you find  provided the best results?

cheers Terry

This is a tough one, because the best one was not by a real business. A guy called Coris from Norway on the DIYaudio forums would make them. His was the best I tried, especially the latest version. I think he still makes them.

Another one that looked like it had real potential was by Clones Audio, but I think they have been discontinued. Never tried that one.

The other good PSU I tried (not as good as Coris) was by Oppomod. But the Oppomod is cheaper than both Coris and Clones Audio, and still available.

Edited by agisthos
  • Like 1

I got the Oppomod LPS for my 205, and it has made a big difference to the audio.

I am very glad to have got rid of another SMPS, but the sound is much more natural, organic, 3-dimensional, etc.

It's much simpler than the ones on the website, so looks like it should be cheaper, but no...

I considered Coris' ones, but could never be sure what he was actually offering, and his mods are ongoing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BioBrian said:

I got the Oppomod LPS for my 205, and it has made a big difference to the audio.

I am very glad to have got rid of another SMPS, but the sound is much more natural, organic, 3-dimensional, etc.

It's much simpler than the ones on the website, so looks like it should be cheaper, but no...

I considered Coris' ones, but could never be sure what he was actually offering, and his mods are ongoing.

Thanks Brian, it is more than likely the 205 that is used for 2-channel mainly that will get the upgrade, having said that I was blown away at how good the ten year old Sony projectors picture quality improved when I swapped the same generation Pioneer player for a 203, the difference was like night and day so maybe a PS upgrade might be worth the investment as well.

One question, which model Oppomod PS did you buy for 205?

cheers Terry 

19 minutes ago, TerryO said:

One question, which model Oppomod PS did you buy for 205?

What I ordered was UDP-203/205 LPM SE - $360.

It doesn't look like either one in the website photos though - appears to only have one regulator, not 3 as shown. I never thought to question it.

18 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

A better power supply has improved everything I've used them with. 

Thumbs up here - my experience totally!

• Like 2

I’m going to go against the trend here and say that if you are going to spend $$ on a linear psu on a 205,  make sure you see measured distortion graphs to prove that what you’re putting in is going to do better in measurements that’s stock standard:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/

dont take everyones face value especially on the stock standard SMPSU in the 205.  

That also stands with video performance too, unless there are measured video performances to show the difference stay clear.  I have yet to see any  3rd party that’s cost $$$ and sometimes 2-3x the stock standard itself have all but degraded the initial performance of what was originally intended.  The OPPO 205 stock standard is way ahead of its game and any 3rd party modifications.  Definitely take the advice from what’s said here:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/06/musings-thoughts-on-audio-device.html?m=1

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I’m going to go against the trend here and say that if you are going to spend $$ on a linear psu on a 205,  make sure you see measured distortion graphs to prove that what you’re putting in is going to do better in measurements that’s stock standard:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/

dont take everyones face value especially on the stock standard SMPSU in the 205.  

That also stands with video performance too, unless there are measured video performances to show the difference stay clear.  I have yet to see any  3rd party that’s cost $$$ and sometimes 2-3x the stock standard itself have all but degraded the initial performance of what was originally intended.  The OPPO 205 stock standard is way ahead of its game and any 3rd party modifications.  Definitely take the advice from what’s said here:

Ha ha - the second link is (or at least should be) an eye opener for many people on this forum. 

Edited by Decky
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Thank you for the links, some very interesting reading. I was considering selling one of my 205’s but after reading all eight pages of the first link it reminded me why I purchased two of them in the first place. 

I have decided to hold off on buying a new PS for now given I have just purchased a Consonance Droplet which Cafad picked up for me on the weekend and after playing it in his system he rates it very highly, so there may be no need to search for improvements to the 205 as if the Droplet is that good then it will become my primary 2-channel player.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2019 at 4:02 AM, Decky said:

Ha ha - the second link is (or at least should be) an eye opener for many people on this forum. 

Why would this second link be an eye opener for anyone in this thread?

This thread is a discussion about LPM upgrades to the Oppo's.

Addicted to Music links to a blog that measures a Tube output modified Oppo. Tubes, which introduce distortion - by design!

And somehow this is mean to counter the claims of improved performance using LPM's? I don't think do.

Its an absurd apples to oranges comparison. Actually not even a comparison, more like a bait and switch argument.

• Like 2

On 24/03/2019 at 11:35 PM, Addicted to music said:

Years ago there was many modding attempts done of the Oppo SMPS by people on DIY Audio forums. These mods reduced the noise levels of the stock Oppo SMPS to well below the stock unit. You can still find many of the measurements done.

What did they find? They found that a simple linear power supply still outperformed these modified SMPS, despite not having near as low a noise measurement. Better performance they couldn't explain. Some of them were ISF type measurement freaks, who reluctantly accepted this but did not know why.

But those of us who regularly replace the SMPS for an LPM on our audio devices, know there is something about a SMPS that is not being measured correctly, because they are almost always bad and a negative link in the chain. Maybe some high frequency harmonic or noise pollution that is not accounted for.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, agisthos said:

Why would this second link be an eye opener for anyone in this thread?

This thread is a discussion about LPM upgrades to the Oppo's.

Addicted to Music links to a blog that measures a Tube output modified Oppo. Tubes, which introduce distortion - by design!

And somehow this is mean to counter the claims of improved performance using LPM's? I don't think do.

Its an absurd apples to oranges comparison. Actually not even a comparison, more like a bait and switch argument.

I provided that link not for the tubes but for the comment on  Linear PSU and what one must do b4 outlaying $$.  

1 hour ago, agisthos said:

Years ago there was many modding attempts done of the Oppo SMPS by people on DIY Audio forums. These mods reduced the noise levels of the stock Oppo SMPS to well below the stock unit. You can still find many of the measurements done.

What did they find? They found that a simple linear power supply still outperformed these modified SMPS, despite not having near as low a noise measurement. Better performance they couldn't explain. Some of them were ISF type measurement freaks, who reluctantly accepted this but did not know why.

Link please....

i don’t recall seeing any measurements done on a AP analyser on DIY audio.  Infact a lot of these mods do not show b4 and after measurements an an OPPO device.

If you’re going to spend 2-3x as the standard stock unit you might as well go all the way to the next level and purchase a better device.  

And from my understanding and looking at the OPPO the SMPSU is only for the video and control section, the audio has its separate regulated supply on the pcb that’s powered by a toroidal transformer that’s independent of the video.  

Also no subjective comment about “better video” performance will hold unless there are proven meausments on implemented and measured RGB and processing speeds.  Note that color accuracy is measure using a spectrophotometer and it’s measured in DeltaE.

I expect SNA members with an interest in the 205 would have spent at least some time over here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/300692-oppo-udp-series-players-203-205-discussions-upgrades-modifications-63.html

Plenty of graphs for those inclined.

Those who did the shopping, spent the money, and heard the machine before and after LPS modification, could theoretically have a clue.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Link please....

i don’t recall seeing any measurements done on a AP analyser on DIY audio.  Infact a lot of these mods do not show b4 and after measurements an an OPPO device.

If you’re going to spend 2-3x as the standard stock unit you might as well go all the way to the next level and purchase a better device.  

And from my understanding and looking at the OPPO the SMPSU is only for the video and control section, the audio has its separate regulated supply on the pcb that’s powered by a toroidal transformer that’s independent of the video.  

Also no subjective comment about “better video” performance will hold unless there are proven meausments on implemented and measured RGB and processing speeds.  Note that color accuracy is measure using a spectrophotometer and it’s measured in DeltaE.

I cannot provide a link, as the threads on the Oppo 93 and then the 103 that each run to hundreds of pages in length, but there are in there.

Its only on the Oppo 95 and 105 that the audio and video power supply is separated. On the 93 and 103 its the one SMPS. Not sure about the new 203/205 as I have been out of the game on the new 4k players.

Look I understand you want measurements and nothing else, but Amir and crew are wrong on certain things, or at least there are some variables and unknowns they don't take into account.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, agisthos said:

Amir and crew are wrong on certain things, or at least there are some variables and unknowns they don't take into account.

I don’t think so, 

Not from the equipment he has.   

Admir is very transparent in what he does and how he does it.  However I can’t vouch for what’s on DIY audio,  some of the stuff thats done on DIY are total butchers.  

• 5 months later...

I was thinking of upgrading my power supply to the oppomod lpm-se for oppo udp-203 4k player.

my concern is will it really make a difference in audio and video. i'm using the machine only for 4k playback through hdmi would I really see and hear the difference?

• 3 years later...
On 16/09/2019 at 12:47 PM, chip1 said:

I was thinking of upgrading my power supply to the oppomod lpm-se for oppo udp-203 4k player.

my concern is will it really make a difference in audio and video. i'm using the machine only for 4k playback through hdmi would I really see and hear the difference?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a UDP-203 that I am very happy with, but am looking at both the Aluminium BD-ROM Drive Stabilizer and either the LPM or LPM SE power modules.

Anyone with recent experience of either of these mods on a 203? If I do decide to go ahead, I'll certainly post my findings, or at least my objective opinion on here. Won't be for a few months though, as I'm in Australia, and I suspect order / delivery times for the mods, if (I decide to go ahead, will be quite lengthy.

@DonGreen If you use the optical drive GET the aluminium BD-Rom stabilizer (i presume the one from oppomod) ! I was surprised what a difference it made. 

Now I have some understanding about why transports sounded different back in the CD days. 20 years ago peopled used to rave about the Philips (?) high end disc mechanism used in many SOTA transports and lamented when it went out of production. 

2 hours ago, DonGreen said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a UDP-203 that I am very happy with, but am looking at both the Aluminium BD-ROM Drive Stabilizer and either the LPM or LPM SE power modules.

Anyone with recent experience of either of these mods on a 203? If I do decide to go ahead, I'll certainly post my findings, or at least my objective opinion on here. Won't be for a few months though, as I'm in Australia, and I suspect order / delivery times for the mods, if (I decide to go ahead, will be quite lengthy.

I have done the PSU upgrade. It was worth it. I don't use  my 203 for  audio only but  both video and audio appeared to improve.  I use the Oppo 203 with a projector and differences are easier to spot. Not sure what difference it will make on an OLED.    I also have the transport mod but haven't installed it yet.

Edited by TP1
  • Like 2

I bought a LPM from Ali express in 2019 and swapped into Oppo 205. I paid the current asking price and received it in good time about a week.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32848804463.html

I did consider two other LPM's the Coris and one from Oppomod. These are also valid options. 

It improved the sound and the picture was easily better. I had to adjust projector settings as a result. Richer more defined colours. Others in the house noticed this difference.

This mod has not been measured by anyone I'm aware off. I would be interested in measurements only to check. It was easy to install but my only gripe was the LPM board connectors for transformer and power in, were cheaper than the SMS board. From this latest photo it looks like they have upgraded connectors.

I've had no problems whatsoever and its left on permanently. It runs slightly warm. I have left the multi channel board out as I run it as a dedicated stereo. Removing this board also helps audio quality. I have kept the board and SMS in case I sell it, but this is most unlikely as I love this machine. 

image.png.bedb9a47e62e19bc8777f8747f45e685.png

Edited by Robocop
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Robocop said:

I bought a LPM from Ali express in 2019 and swapped into Oppo 205. I paid the current asking price and received it in good time about a week.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32848804463.html

I did consider two other LPM's the Coris and one from Oppomod.  

I felt it did improve the sound and the picture was easily better. I had to adjust projector settings as a result. Richer more defined colours. Others in the house noticed this difference.

Cheers @Robocop

I hadn't realised there were that many options available. I had concentrated on the Oppomod which is bloody expensive. I'm tempted to do their transport upgrade tho, looks like it should lessen any potential vibration issues. 

I might go with the Glozone PSU from Ali express, and see how that goes.

Just make sure its for the Oppo 203 model and 230volts. The one shown is only for the 205. Actually in checking there is way more options since I bought mine. Don't think the copper board is worth going for. Mine is aluminium. It was cost that made me go for Chinese one.