I was clearing out some stuff I had in storage and came across this old Luxman DZ 112 cd player which I picked up from another member several years ago. The dac chip is apparently rare and is an R2R type. I'm curious to hear how it sounds but I can't get the tray to open although it powers up and I can hear a motor noise when I press eject.

Any suggestions on how to sort out that issue?

Is it worth playing around with it to get it going again? Curiosity has got the better of me when I should be pruning things down :)

post-105533-0-16886500-1458804690_thumb.post-105533-0-88178800-1458804714_thumb.post-105533-0-87831100-1458804731_thumb.post-105533-0-75623500-1458804763_thumb.post-105533-0-91683000-1458804784_thumb.

Edited by legselevens

I do not know this particular player, but the most common reason drawer fails to open in old CD players is that the belt that drives the gears has deteriorated with age and/or snapped.

Remove the whole mechanism and look underneath and you should see if this is the case.

HIH

Roman

• Like 1

Guest rmpfyf

Are they (hard to tell) PCM1701P (dual mono) DACs?

Rare. Quite good for the time if so. There was a tube'd model too, which some mod.

Wait - yes they are - a short Google trawl leads us to... SNA! http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/44248-pcm1701p-first-cd-player/

Hope this helps. Planning to restore or mod?

Edited by rmpfyf

I'd like to get it running again and am hoping the belt will be a simple fix towards this. I'm not into modding and don't have the tech skills to do it. I compared my Marantz CD63SE against my pc(very basic config) and it did surprisingly well although I couldn't match volume so could simply be this that I was hearing.

I needed a distraction so managed to replace the belt this afternoon. With a rubber band :) Thanks to link the below on repairing a DVD player I decided to try it on the Luxman. How long it lasts I have no idea but if the player works it allows me to hear how it sounds without having to buy the belt.

It took about half an hour by the time I figured out how the mechanism works. Powered it up and after a few indecisive moments on where it wanted to park itself the tray seems to be working. Next step is to see if it can play a cd and most importantly, how does it sound? I'll update later but it can read a CD/R which surprised me for it's age.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/luxman-dz-112-cd-player-tray-problem.162493/