Wifi Range Questions/Options

I need to extend the range of my wifi signal from the wireless router. I have a newly completed outdoor area and would like to have wifi signal there. Mostly to control a Squeexebox Touch, but there would doubtless be other uses.The router is, unfortunately, at the total opposite end of the house. I can move it around a few feet, but that is about all.

This is the standard issue Telstra Bigpond issued Netgear Gateway router. Plugged into Telstra cable broadband.

The main PC is next to it and uses an ethernet cable. I would like to keep this.

Near the main rear doors the is a second Telstra Cable outlet. I have no idea if this has any signal to it. Never used it in the 10 years we have been in this house.

Next to the router there is an ethernet plug in the wall. This goes downstairs into the garage area, where there is a room that once upon a time was an office. There is a third cable outlet there too.

So what do I want/don't want?

I don't want to lose the wired connection to the main pc.

I don't want to connect to a different wifi network when going outside/inside.

I don't want to spend too much money !!

Any suggestions from knowledgeable people would be appreciated.

Simple, as far as I'm concerned. 

If your router is supplied by your service provider, then it's el cheapo compared to what's out there on the market.  I bought a new router myself after the service provider sent us crap, and our wifi is awesome now.  So, I advise go a router from a store like MSY or Centrecom etc., and also go AC - it's the ducks nuts.  So much better than N wireless, range is greater plus it locks on to devices (even if they aren't AC compatible).

• Like 1

It's true that the Netgear router that comes with Bigpond cable is not a great router. If you can spare the dollars, bridge it into a decent router with wifi so that the Netgear is just running as the modem. A cheaper option in the meantime would be a cheap access point on the other end of the Ethernet cable you mentioned and set the SSID as the same (if it permits). Yet another option is a range extender, I've seen them for about forty bucks and they simply act as a wifi repeater. Plug it into power somewhere about half-way between your Bigpond wifi router and where you need the signal. The downside to these is that the throughput is usually halved, this may be model specific though so check a few out first.