Goldring 1042 to loan. (Adelaide area initially)

Since I have just built an SUT and purchased a Denon DL103 I am no longer using my very low hours (>50) 1042 MM cart.

Rather than sell it what I have decided to do with it is offer it up as a loaner, If anyone wants to try out this cart on their TT, they can borrow it for a couple of weeks.

Initially I will restrict this to the Adelaide area, if it catches on I'll open up to the rest of the forum.

What am I asking in return, ahh, nothing, just take care of it as if it were your own.

Mods, if this is considered inapproriate in any way please delete this post and I'll try via PM.

Batty's 1042 location list. (add your name to the list and hopefully it will come to you when the person above you has had a good listen. please be patient as it may be a while till you see(hear) it).

1. at68 - Auditioned

2. SETfan - Had a spin

3. 4heckssake - played

4. RockandorRoll - him too

5. gypr1961 - yep

6. Kensell21 - also played

7. Rural Rat - returned thanks

8. Tal - not yet ready for the cart.

Carts is with me.

Edited by Batty
Updated

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great offer Batty. Very generous.

I won't take you up though as I already have one in use on one of my P3s. I like em!

If you decide you do want to sell it let me know please as I don't know the history of my 1042 and I think it has done many miles. A fresh one would be good.

Rod

4hecks, I decided to go down this path mainly because of the fact i have no idea of value on the thing, I paid $420 delivered from UK, but since the AUD is so strong a new one is probably around the $300 mark now. So somewhere in the region of $150 - $175 would be a fair price I presume, this dollar figure would not be life changing hence the idea of letting some members try it out to see how it sounds in their setup. I know this will lead to the carts life being fairly short as it will get more 'play time' this way. I would rather this than it sat in it's box on a shelf.

There's my reasoning behind this.

Grumps if you want a loan, she's all yours for a while. Shall I post, or would you like to pick up (you can have a listen too at the same time).

Batty, great offer.

I would love to try, but am in Melbourne. Would happily pay the post each way if you are comfortable. My TT is a Heybrook TT2 with a Rega RB300 arm so there is a chance it would sound pretty good. I have been considering same cartridge for a while.

Anyway, pm me if you decide to give other states ago.

cheers

Grumps has first dibs, what I may do is just open this up to everyone who is interested and just ask the person who has to post on to the next. I'll probably never see it again, but that is of no concern as long as it's earning it's keep in a system. I'll get it to Grumpy of the Port, and when he has had his fill ask him to post to at68, as these are the only 2 who have shown interest so far.

That OK with you Grumpy?

I have no idea how to keep track of who has it but will think of some way for people to put there hand up, probably just get a list going in the 1st post. In fact I'll do that next.

Edited by Batty

Quite favouably actually, I do like it, but my attempts at describing sounds is, to say the least hopeless.

I think that the 103 has more bass slam and is less spitty at the top end. but I am using SUTs into the MM i/p so that may have some bias on things.

Grumps has first dibs, what I may do is just open this up to everyone who is interested and just ask the person who has to post on to the next. I'll probably never see it again, but that is of no concern as long as it's earning it's keep in a system. I'll get it to Grumpy of the Port, and when he has had his fill ask him to post to at68, as these are the only 2 who have shown interest so far.

That OK with you Grumpy?

I have no idea how to keep track of who has it but will think of some way for people to put there hand up, probably just get a list going in the 1st post. In fact I'll do that next.

Put me down lower on the list please batty - I've still got a brand new Shure to compare with my Empire cart at the moment so i don't mind waiting . Great offer, thank you .

Thanks Batty, I have replied with my details. If you like, I will give you an amateurs comparison with my other carts - Ortophon 2m blue, Grado Platinum 1, Garrott P77 with K2 needle, and amber io.

I had a 1042GX for a while when i had my Planer 2, in fact i sold it with that cartridge mounted. It was very good. I was so impressed with it that i bought a Goldring Elite lomc which was truly excellent for its price.

If anyone else wants to add their name to the list, just let me know. I'll keep tabs on where it is and where it's to go next. There is only 1 request, that you pay postage to the next person or back to me.

Ahh you see this is not my first MC. I had a DL110 for a while, but went back to the 1042 as it was better in my system. When, in a past life, I had a Cyrus 2 I had a Low output Eroika (spelling) fitted. That was pre 1995 so cannot remember it much at all. In fact when I bought the TT in 1986 it came with a DL110. Dare I say it but most of my carts since owning the Rock have been MC. I just wanted a foray back there but only had the MM input, hence the SUT build.

Setfan, the loan has only just begun, so I'll add you to the list. I have not heard a DL160, however I have used a DL110 and preferred the 1042. This however is just my opinion. You will be able to form your own in the not too distant future.

I missed this thread till now. But that is timely as I have a spare tonearm arriving for my VPI just so I can try new carts.

So...ahem...if you decide to expand the horizons of the cart Batty can you think of me ;)

In return I can offer an Ortofon 2M Blue. However, be warned that this is off the TT due to me being a little careless with a magic eraser (there is a thread here about it), and it thus sounds a little distorted. It may be of some use though.

Cheers,

Jake