Hegel amplifiers

If you are referring to me, I'm not a fan, not yet anyway. Just got interested in the product going by various reviews but found no way to audition it.

So yeah, I'm a real customer :-)

Was not referring to you or anyone specifically.

If you can get a home demo, that will be the ultimate way to know if the amp is for you.   If not, I am sure there are other good dealers that will allow you listen to an amp.

Good luck

Edited by metal beat

i have the hd-25 dac.

sounds great to my ears.

i have heard the h300. very versatile unit being an integrated with a dac and multiple digital inputs in addition to the standard analog ones.

the sound is very open, clear and detailed. if anything, one could say that the hegel sound  signature is a little bit.. 'lean'

you can tune this out with some fancy cabling though.

Interesting, lean was what I thought about Devialet after listening to 120 and Electrocompaniet one after another. I was hoping Hegel would have Devialets clarity but be a bit more involving.

I tried both, 120 and 200, couldn't tell one from another. The speakers were Vienna Accoustics Mozart's, they are not SAM ready. The sound was very clean but I felt something was missing, a bit of emotion? It probably depends on speakers as well, I chose VA's because I thought they'd be similar to my speakers, Proac D18 but obviously I'll have to try with my own speakers to be sure.

• Like 1

Yeah the 120/200 etc certainly can be characterised that way, I've got a 120 and it sure is speaker dependant. I love it with my Spendor's & Magico S1's (SAM enabled), but certainly can understand why some folk think it is a little devoid of emotion - it is: the Dev's certainly don't add anything to the mix.

I find the clarity & low noise floor highly addictive for classical listening, where the silences between the notes are as important as the notes I feel.

I would have thought that the Dev would have worked well with Proac, but then again all the Proac's I have owned I partnered with tubes, and thought they sounded fabulous. 

I do like the all in one solution of the Dev - it is small neat and elegant, and you listen to music rather than thinking about what dac upgrade may be of benefit. Tweaking is only cables, and you don't need many of those.

The other amps that have my attention are the one based on the nCore 1200 modules. But they are a different animal price wise.

The other amp of the Hegel / Dev vein is the Gato; they are also garnering good press. I think someone on the forum has one - htm_1968 by memory: there it is http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/71014-total-change-of-direction/

I'll be interested in what you think of the Hegel. Please report back when you get your hands on one. 

@@Shane - you cynic you....I believe everything I read..

Edited by Tom.Stopforth

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across this sucker on the internet - new Hegel H160 with (FINALLY) a headphone input!!!

Hegel Music System's H160 Integrated Amplifier Includes DLNA And Apple Airplay
hegel_music_system_h160.jpgHegel Music System's new H160 ($3500USD) stereo integrated amplifier produces 150 wpc and includes both DLNA and Apple Airplay. The unit also includes the ability to stream 24-bit/192kHz audio files over DLNA. This is the company's most recent example of their strive to design and engineer a 'one-stop solution' for their customers. Based on the core principles of Hegel Music Systems other integrated amps such as the H80 and H300, they are pushing the envelope in terms of performance and features. The H160 inherits the platform from the H80, but with significant upgrades. One is the quality of the DAC as the chips are the same, yet the implementation of them are not. Another factor is the internal power supply and power output of 150 wpc. Also uprated are the output stages, which have been improved with brand new, ultra-fast transistors. Upgrades have also been made within the preamplifier section that is said to result in less high frequency distortion and thus produce a smooth and more detailed sound. Functionality wise, there is a very high quality headphone output that can drive the most difficult headphones such as the HiFi-Man HE-6. There is a balanced input via XLR, unbalanced RCA analog input and a Home Theatre input that can be configured within the H160's software. There are also both fixed and variable line level outputs. On the digital side there are one S/PDIF coaxial, three TosLink optical, plus a USB and Ethernet network input. The network input is used for DLNA and Airplay. Dimensions are 7.72" x 16.93" x 16.15" (HxWxD) and the unit weighs a hefty 42 lbs.

• Like 1