New Doctor Who debut

Arthur, I'd like to know what you thought of it.

I haven't seen it; my wife did. She doesn't think I'll like it much. Rather than just introducing the doctor and explaining why he is who he is (eg why he wears the clothes he does etc), I understand they had an "action" story arc through it, and both the action story arc and doctor's explanation (if I can put it that way) got a little confused. 

I'm watching tonight.

I think it's a good thing they went in a different direction with the new doctor.

The last three have all been good but it was time for someone a bit older.

I've seen a bit of him in The Thick Of It and he's a great actor.

Will be interesting to see how he plays the good doctor.

Guessing it won't be quite as hot tempered as Mr Tucker though.

Although that could work too.

An angry doctor as opposed to the whimsical and soft ones we've had recently.

:)

I never really watched it back in the day but saw most of the Eccleston episodes, a lot of the Tennant ones but got a bit bored with it when Matt Smith played the dr.

A bit too sooky and girly for my liking.

;)

Watched it over brekkie. It still has elements of Buffy. Different Actor, same script writer. I lost interest in the last Doctor, this one is better. Certain old characters needed to be a bit more intense, more terminator than kindergarten cop. Otherwise, despite the hype I enjoyed it. You can't ask too much more from Dr Who.

• Like 1

Arthur, I'd like to know what you thought of it.

I haven't seen it; my wife did. She doesn't think I'll like it much. Rather than just introducing the doctor and explaining why he is who he is (eg why he wears the clothes he does etc), I understand they had an "action" story arc through it, and both the action story arc and doctor's explanation (if I can put it that way) got a little confused. 

I'm watching tonight.

Hi Tom, watched it at Hoyts this afternoon and was very happy, 9.5 out of 10.  It lost 0.5 point as I wanted more!

The reboot of the series is much more deep and analytical than the original series from 60's to 80's. The new series shows a darker element to the Doctor's character and how he is afraid developing a relationship with any one person as he knows that he will aways loose them to time etc. Very D&M stuff. 

Provided the scripts are of the standard of Deep Breath then I think that the Doctor is in very safe hands and Peter Capaldi will do a fantastic job.

I really hope that it's not true about Jenna Coleman leaving at Christmas.

Edited by arthur63
  • Like 1

I think it's a good thing they went in a different direction with the new doctor.

The last three have all been good but it was time for someone a bit older.

I've seen a bit of him in The Thick Of It and he's a great actor.

Will be interesting to see how he plays the good doctor.

Guessing it won't be quite as hot tempered as Mr Tucker though.

Although that could work too.

An angry doctor as opposed to the whimsical and soft ones we've had recently.

:)

I never really watched it back in the day but saw most of the Eccleston episodes, a lot of the Tennant ones but got a bit bored with it when Matt Smith played the dr.

A bit too sooky and girly for my liking.

;)

Hope Peter Capaldi's Doctor does not turn into an angry one...if anyone remembers way back to Colin Baker's portrayal (1984/86) he was grumpy so and so - not likeable at all.

• 10 months later...

Did you mean Maisy Williams aka arya stark?

"The biggest tease looks like this year’s equivalent of the Missy mystery and will be the identity of whoever Maisie Williams is playing. At the trailer’s end, the Doctor greets the young girl, astonished and clearly familiar with her, as she teases: “What took you so long, old man?†Williams is expected to feature in the loose two-parter, The Girl Who Died and The Woman Who Lived, but all anyone will reveal of their guest A-lister is that she will “challenge the Doctor in unexpected waysâ€.

Is it the suggested Granddaughter?

I'll take whatever is on offer.

As I've said before, in my opinion the partnership of Capaldi's Doctor & Coleman's Clara has the makings of a classic pairing like Tom Baker & Elisabeth Sladen.

Bold statement perhaps, but my only my opinion.