AAD Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Hey all,

I've always had such an awesome opinion on AAD speakers, partly because of their excellent value for money especially in the second hand market.

I've had various sets of C800i and C600i speakers, and i've always wanted to experience a C10 AAD Subwoofer (or a pair :))

I've always dreamt of experiencing a Q1000 Dual 10" Quake AAD subwoofer too, but no doubt $$ and hard to find.

Does anyone else run any series AAD Speakers?

aad_cseries.jpg

Edited by aad_ht

Hey all,

I've always had such an awesome opinion on AAD speakers, partly because of their excellent value for money especially in the second hand market.

I've had various sets of C800i and C600i speakers, and i've always wanted to experience a C10 AAD Subwoofer (or a pair :))

I've always dreamt of experiencing a Q1000 Dual 10" Quake AAD subwoofer too, but no doubt $$ and hard to find.

Does anyone else run any series AAD Speakers?

aad_cseries.jpg

i don't own any, but i have listened to Platinum Audio Studio and Session on few occasions at a friend's place, I'm impressed with the bass from 4" mid woofers. The guy is friends with Phil Jones, as he designed tube amp for one of his show few years back.

thats the few passive speakers that have heatsink on the back :P that i know of

i don't own any, but i have listened to Platinum Audio Studio and Session on few occasions at a friend's place, I'm impressed with the bass from 4" mid woofers. The guy is friends with Phil Jones, as he designed tube amp for one of his show few years back.

thats the few passive speakers that have heatsink on the back :P that i know of

Oh wow thats awesome. I would love to meet Phil Jones one day. Would love if he would sign my AAD's one day haha. They are my all time favourite speakers. Hes done a remarkable job at the overall look and feel of them.

I had the C10 sub a few years back.  A damn fine sub for HT, however, there are obviously better for 2ch. 

I was wondering what sort of size it would be like compared to say a Jensen SPX 17 10" Subwoofer. Would you say getting 2 for HT would be beneficial? I am wondering what the market value would be like for one. I am definitely having a hard time finding one lately. If anyone knows of anyone that has one that may consider selling in Victoria i'd be really appreciated if you could let me know :)

My brother is a big fan of the AAD's. He has the C600 with the C400 center and the bookshelf as his rears. He has paired them with the Jensen SPX 17 which sounds great, but dont have anything to compare it too.

• 5 years later...

I'm convinced,

I run c800i's and the matching AAD center channel. I am actually trying to find another pair of 800i's to use as rears.

Anyone selling a pair of C800i's in brisbane?

• 7 months later...

I run C-880s floor standings for the fronts, C-305 centre, C-260 for surrounds, C-11 sub and some floor standing Jensens for surround back.

Wish I could find another set of C-260 bookshelfs to replace the Jensens.

Edited by noisuf

• 2 years later...

My brother and I purchased two AAD Q-1000 subs from Domayne during a clearance sale.  One of my best buys ever!

I have owned a lot of subs and these are the best after my Entec sub-1s. They are able to produce real low bass at good SPL. Fairly accurate and articulate, but are quite large - which is why Domayne could not sell them.

If you have electronics that give you reliable flat response under 20Hz then HD SA discs such as Blade Runner soundtrack are amazing.  There is a whole lot of sound effect/music? that most people will never hear, that takes the composition up to another level. music you feel with awesome weight.  This is true of many tracks where the engineers have done a good job with deep bass.  It always surprises me when I hear people say you don't need bass under 20Hz.  They are really missing a lot.  Even more so when it comes to movies.  In my current listening room I have to be careful with the levels and crossover as the the front door and windows can start to rattle. Rather distracting.

Currently I am using the Q-1000 as sub-sub bass to augment my Goldenear Triton 1S.  I am using a very low crossover frequency. The extra weight really improves and underpins the goldenears, making a tangible tonal difference and impact. On paper you would think you don't need subs with the Triton 1S and that is possibly true, unless you are used to really deep strong bass (under 20hz) which most subs don't seem to give, and the 1S don't do meaningfully, despite their claims.

My brother loves his Q-1000 and wants to buy my one as well.

A couple of days ago I purchased a Velodyne DD18plus.  After using Entecs with motional feedback I really appreciate that technologie's low distortion. The velodynes also have motional feedback (the AAD do not) with distortion <1%.   I was looking at the highly awarded SVS PB16 Ultra, with reviews of accuracy etc, but was disturbed to see in a lab test that their distortion is close to 20% at 20Hz.  Surely reviewers must be able to notice this?  Mind you this is not unusual for subs without motional feedback, so maybe they have not heard that technology to compare. I would not have purchased a sub with an 18" driver without motional feedback because it would not be fast enough.  Two 10" like the AAD are good.  The Entecs have three 10". 

It will be interesting to compare the AAD with the Velodyne. Soon. Only just arrived and at 64KG too heavy for me to get upstairs alone! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...I'm a massive aad fan..I have 2 sets of c800i's.and 2 c10 subs..

Unfortunately 1 of my subs are the new style c10..I'm guessing when they went to China.....the boxes are no were near as thick...Im guessing probably 4-5kg weight difference...unfort same for the newish c800i aswell...luckily both of my pairs are the old school....as for the sub..sounds tighter the old style.....but never fear....I've found another so 1 of my c10's will be up for sale.....the other differences are how the grill connects and also the chambered edges...I will do a comparison soon....

I'm also just about to purchase some s5's...but tbh I don't think they will keep up with the old c800i's..

Cheers 

Todd

• 1 month later...

Todd I'm interested in what you said about the manufacture of the C-10s. All the pictures I have found online show them with a flat speaker face with huge rolled surround, while the one I have is a cone shape. My speaker also has the AAD logo on the plinth rather than at the top.  Which is the Chinese built model?

I have a friend who is looking for a sub like the C-10 at the moment, I'm suggesting to him if he can find a C-10 it would match his ProAcs, as I have that config and it sounds really nice.

• 4 months later...