SOLD: FS: Spendor SP1/2 Loudspeakers - Price Reduced

Item: Spendor SP1/2 Loudspeakers - Rosewood
Price: $1700 $1500
Item Condition: Excellent
Reason for selling: Keeping the Harbeth SHL5s
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, EFT
Extra Info:

The woofers have been upgraded to the latest versions and were made to order by Spendor.  The latest version has a phase plug instead of a dust cap and a larger magnet and is a factory approved upgrade.  They were replaced because the original woofer surrounds stiffened considerably, reducing the bass output and skewing the tonal balance.  The cost of this upgrade was over $800 through the Australian distributor Audiofix.  The new woofers have less than 50 hours on them - not even broken in.

The condition of the Rosewood finish is remarkably good given that the speakers are over 20 years old.  There are no scratches, only a few edge dings (pictured) and a couple of shiny spots on the finish that don't show up on the photos.  I see that I missed photographing one side of one cabinet.  I can pull it out and photograph that if desired.  The grilles are in good shape with no holes that I have noticed.

The speakers are all original other than the woofers.  No mods.  There is no reason the speakers should not last another 20 years as the woofers are new.  The primary failure mode is a dragging woofer voice coil due to sagging of the cone suspension.

The Spendor SP1/2s don't give a lot away to the Harbeth SHL5, some bass fullness and extension (the Spendors will work better in smaller rooms), and a bit of precision and harmonic richness.  On the other hand the SP1/2s have a more seductive quality in the upper mids, where the SHL5s can sound somewhat recessed.  Read the reviews.  Here is a good one: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0302/spendor12.htm

I can include the original woofers (pictured sitting in the replacement boxes) if desired.  The surrounds can be rejuvenated using a treatment of brake fluid, apparently.  I was never game to try.  Details can be found on the Spendor Yahoo Group.

Also included, if desired, are serviceable steel stands.  They are a bit on the short side, but I used them for years.

Shipping will be difficult as they are surprisingly heavy and I don't have boxes.  Pick up is best, but PM me to discuss options.

Happy to answer questions.  Please send me a PM.

Edit: I have the original biwire jumpers and the owners manual somewhere.  Remind me to find them if you are a prospective buyer.

Pictures:

Edited by Jeff65

Congratulations on the sale of your item. If you feel you have benefited from using this system for the sale of an item through our classifieds system then please consider making a donation.

Donation Payment Options

You can make a donation via Paypal (using Credit Card or Paypal Balance), or Direct Deposit.

Click below to make a donation:

donate-button.png

Thank you, your support is appreciated and every dollar makes a difference.