Advice, Amp modules for active bookshelf speaker (Modula MT)

John Quin

Hi All

I have just purchased an intel NUC as a HTPC for our spare plasma TV and hence created a requirement for half decent sound system to go with it.

I have a DIY bookshelf speaker left over that I am hoping to utilize. ( Details below )

I plan to buy a bluetooth or USB soundcard then combine both stereo channels to mono

Then the plan is to use an active crossover and bi-amp the speaker. 

Now I have no experience with Class D / Class T amps, my sound requirements are modest, I really just want to beat the bose/logitech bluetooth speakers out there.

So just as long as the Class D isn't regrettable I'm be happy with that, the same with a switchmode PSU.

Class A/B with linear supply would also be fine.
Low standby power would be nice.

My aim is to keep cost low and size small. So $200ish for PSU and dual mono AMP.

I can pirate parts (PSU) from an Altronics kit (K5173) that I have built previously. It has a 300VA (45V + 45V) toroidal and the PSU rectifies to give +- 70V DC.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm happy to do my own research but a push in the right direction would be very helpful

Thanks

John

==============================================================================

Woofer rated @ 60W RMS & Tweeter @ 100W RMS

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?13154-RS180-Modula-MT-you-asked-for-it-you-got-it!

ModulaMT.JPG

Edited by John Quin

Thanks!

Any words of wisdom on Class D? Have they 'arrived' or do they still have some ways to go.

W.R.T. the Daytons I can't compare them to other metal drivers but I can say I am a huge fan of metal woofers. I don't think I'll go back to anything else.

how those dayton drivers sound

Very good.   They are not low quality at all.

I plan to buy a bluetooth or USB soundcard then combine both stereo channels to mono

Then the plan is to use an active crossover and bi-amp the speaker. 

Now I have no experience with Class D / Class T amps, my sound requirements are modest, I really just want to beat the bose/logitech bluetooth speakers out there.

Good plan.   Your competitors are all using Class D type amps anyways.... so  :thumbsup:

OK thanks. I'm probably a little way off buying it now as the budget has blown out. LOL

The hypex product is interesting in that they are using a linear supply. I guess they figure it's low enough in power and will be cheaper to produce.

I'm guessing the miniDSP version REQUIRES an analogue in and that the ethernet is only for control.

I'm pairing this up with an intel NUC and the USB audio option on the hypex is attractive. 

Sure, I was being a bit sloppy. What I meant was that for the NUC that I am using for my application I would need to use the analogue output of the budget soundcard in the NUC. 

I could get a usb soundcard with spdif out but really the hypex seems the way to go at this point.

I have some ConnexElectronics modules, and they are good - currently using the TA3020 v3c to power the woofers in my active system.

Another vendor of assembled Class D amp modules I like is Hifimediy, I have 3 of their TK2050 amps and like them a lot, I think they are a step up in quality from the Sure Electronics modules that use the same chipset.

https://hifimediy.com/

• 3 weeks later...

hi John,

pls make sure you ask hypex if the plate amp module was updated with ncore tech, as the UCD180, 400 & 700 was updated, but not sure for the plate amps and smaller modules like ucd100 oem

I asked. It hasn't been updated.