Besides the plethora of music and visual entertainment in Sydney this weekend, there's also this chilled gathering of talented people on Tuesday night.

To give you a bit of feel of what the venue and night is about, a 50 second promo video

JESSE WITNEY //

Jesse Witney is a significant, soulful voice in Australia’s multicultural music landscape. Talented and charismatic, bilingual and multi-instrumentalist, he presents his songs with passion, ingenuity and conviction. His music is infectious and remarkable, creating a unique blend of styles akin to Paul Simon and a voice that is reminiscent of Sting.

ALICE TERRY //

Since leaving her small coastal town of Moruya, Terry has impressed her ever-growing audiences with her big voice and beautiful songs, and has deservedly earned the title of ‘Sydneys first lady of blues’. She effortlessly combines the best parts of folk, jazz and blues, and creates this music which is both sexy and heartbreaking all at the same time.

Terrys spirited performances and clever writing have steadily gained recognition and support, from audiences and peers alike, including supports for: Allen Stone, Beth Hart, Matt Corby, Gail Page, and The Waifs, and festival appearances at: Woodford Folk, Narooma Blues and Rockabilly, Moruya Jazz & Thredbo Blues Festivals just to name a few.

At 24, Alice Terry is already a staple in the Sydney music scene. With the release of her debut, fan-funded, studio album being release September 2014, and judging by the impassioned delivery of her current shows, we can expect big things from this unique, Australian talent.

10308305_10203243461383983_3784487656665

Astral People does Vivid with

PHUTURE (AUS DEBUT) / NIGHT SLUGS (L-VIS 1990 & BOK BOK) / ANDRAS FOX (LIVE) / RAINBOW CHAN / BEN FESTER / PREACHA (USA/UK/AUS)

this Friday night, looking forward to this !

I'm not normally critical of gigs but I must mention by 1.30am I was either going to fall asleep at the SOH Studio or just walk out.

The bass was unbearable at time, the system had great potential except the twats operating the decks kept tweaking the sound from poor to crapola.

The entertainment in the foyer was more to my liking and the very youngish crowd were getting their groove on. The quantity of security walking around shining their torches like it was a commando raid around the dance area was a definite over kill and didn't help the ambience. The patrons were very well behaved and in a festive mood. If I was 20 years younger... naa forget that

I don't know who this dude below is but after near an hour the main room was half cleared out

Vivid+Astral+People+Opera+House+%25C2%25

With perseverance we were rewarded with these guys below, they had great track selection, cool voice overs and wham bam the sound system was a hell of a lot more balanced and saved the night for me. So did the visuals.

Vivid+Astral+People+Opera+House+%25C2%25

Leaving the Studio near 3am into the peacefulness of Sydney Harbour void of all the bright lights and hordes of people was a nice change form the last few weeks on the harbour

Damn we are lucking living within walking distance to all these choices

• Like 3

JUNE JULY Program for JAZZGROOVE

Tuesday June 3 8pm Matilda Abraham (Targeted Performer) // 9.30pm Lightcycle (Rising Star)

Tuesday June 108pm Lines of Flight // 9.30pm The Mango Ballon + Shenzo Gregorio
Tuesday June 17 8pm Dave de Vries Quartet // 9.30pm Paul Cutlan’s Propinquity
Tuesday June 24 8pm Nic Vardanega Quartet // 9.30pm Gerard Masters Trio (FUNDRAISER!!)
Tuesday July 1 8pm Miles Thomas Group // 9.30pm Maegraith/Stack/Gander
Tuesday July 8 8pm Yeahyeahabsolutelynoway! // 9.30pm Slowpoke Rodriguez
Tuesday July 15 8pm Francesca Prihasti // 9.30pm Scoredatura

Tuesday July 228pm Marcello Maio Trio // 9.30pm JC5
Tuesday July 29 8pm Outside Trout // 9.30pm Doig Collective

• Like 1

Besides the plethora of music and visual entertainment in Sydney this weekend, there's also this chilled gathering of talented people on Tuesday night.

JESSE WITNEY //

Jesse Witney is a significant, soulful voice in Australia’s multicultural music landscape. Talented and charismatic, bilingual and multi-instrumentalist, he presents his songs with passion, ingenuity and conviction. His music is infectious and remarkable, creating a unique blend of styles akin to Paul Simon and a voice that is reminiscent of Sting.

ALICE TERRY //

Since leaving her small coastal town of Moruya, Terry has impressed her ever-growing audiences with her big voice and beautiful songs, and has deservedly earned the title of ‘Sydneys first lady of blues’. She effortlessly combines the best parts of folk, jazz and blues, and creates this music which is both sexy and heartbreaking all at the same time.

Terrys spirited performances and clever writing have steadily gained recognition and support, from audiences and peers alike, including supports for: Allen Stone, Beth Hart, Matt Corby, Gail Page, and The Waifs, and festival appearances at: Woodford Folk, Narooma Blues and Rockabilly, Moruya Jazz & Thredbo Blues Festivals just to name a few.

At 24, Alice Terry is already a staple in the Sydney music scene. With the release of her debut, fan-funded, studio album being release September 2014, and judging by the impassioned delivery of her current shows, we can expect big things from this unique, Australian talent.

The Grooviest place in Sydney last night with performances by Phil Stack, Alice Terry, Jesse Witney hosted by Kristie Nicolas

Great to catch up with Kristie Nicolas, Sarah Vuong, Daniel Robertson, Jo Sie, Phil Stack, Alice Terry, Jesse Witney, Alessandro Spina, Enrique Fly and @@Viognier to name just a few.

Phil Stack was the stand out performer for me. I've had the pleasure of hearing him play, electric and acoustic guitar, piano and now double bass, his also a great vocalist.

Innersoul+LIVE+PLAYBAR+-+Alice+Terry+Phi

Next Event 17th June

• Like 1

O you have to stop spreading the word on this. You will spoil our fortnightly almost private gig with a few special music lovers.

Superb performance from Alice Terry last night.

Sydney siders come out and support some fantastic performers in a great environment where the musicians are treated with respect by the audience. Great bar run by a lovely couple in Dan and Sarah. And Innersoul Live deliver every fortnight with their selection of artists.

• Like 1

Dawn of Midi at Venue 505 last Saturday night, a couple of photos for those that couldn't make it.
Really dim ambient lighting helped in keeping the sold out show full attention on the performers

505+Dawn+of+Midi+%25C2%25A9+O.Sydney+fot

505+Dawn+of+Midi+%25C2%25A9+O.Sydney+fot

• Like 6

Thanks for posting the pics O.

It was a very slick gig.

I must say that is a fine and handsome back of the head in the bottom left corner of the second shot. Thanks for missing the bald patch in the shadows!

there was no need for photoshop, but I think I got good coverage of the room :P

For some of the Sydney experimental regulars on this thread I suggest you check out the MCA's Sonic Social program here:http://www.mca.com.au/performance-program/sonic-social/ .

The Performance Space has co-curated events with the MCA.

Looks good BR. I also note that Gail Priest is doing Art Bar this month. Should be very interesting what Gail puts on given the massive space to work in, especially compared to 107 Project.

I'm in for the 27th !

It will be 2 weekends in a row of Gail Priest curated music

I missed the same gig Dave as I went to 20,000 Days on Earth, the Nick Cave doco as part of Sydney Film Festival. Awesome movie, thoroughly recommended.

How was the gig O? Doesn't look like many people there.

Dave, hope you enjoyed your night of thrash.

I missed the same gig Dave as I went to 20,000 Days on Earth, the Nick Cave doco as part of Sydney Film Festival. Awesome movie, thoroughly recommended.

How was the gig O? Doesn't look like many people there.

Dave, hope you enjoyed your night of thrash.

it was a bit quieter than the usual full house, it gave me an opportunity to slide around on the floor at the feet of the artists taking photos :) the music was very enjoyable, so too were the conversations with various people on the night.

Tonight...

10378936_295456230630116_752281036270929

• Like 2

This Sunday evening !!

a bimonthly home for ambient electronica and other poorly named genres
that play with noise, shattered melodies and broken beats

a little bit sweet, and a little bit noisy
beats allowed but not compulsory

Pretty Gritty
Sunday 22 June, 6pm
assault and bassery featuring
Cat Hope
Defektro
Knife Crimes
107 Projects
107 Redfern St, Redfern
Sydney

$10/8

june22_comp.jpg

listen up, unless your there you wont hear it !

• Like 1

will you be catching any gigs in melbourne, mark?

None planned James. Did some digging yesterday and picked up a couple of albums. Off to the Australian Ballet's Imperial Suite tonight. Maybe after that might catch some tunes somewhere.

how was it?

I think Gail described it best by what she wrote was in store for us and I quote;

"Prepare yourself for deep, dark, dirty journeys below the noise floor. This one's all grit and the pretty is a matter of opinion. Queen of noise, Cat Hope submerges us in her bass-noise underworld; maker of alien instruments and weaponry, Defektro, engages in sonic warfare; and Knife Crimes scraps it out in the sonic equivalent of hand-to-hand combat. Be alert & alarmed."

photos will no doubt be posted !