SACD recommendations

Hi guys,

just after some recommendations for some good sounding SACDs. I have a few and find some of them a bit bright, not sure if that's the norm for them or not.

Norah Jones - Come away with me is an example of what I'm finding a touch bright.

Anyway, some others aren't. Billy Joel - The Stranger was pretty good for an older recording.

Let me know if you have a few favourites on SACD. I'm going to place another order at Elusive Disc today.

Eden Atwood is one artist I would recommend on SACD.

John

Gday Scuzz,

Its been said before but I cant recommend highly enough: Beck - Seachange

If you can find it that is.

Other must-haves for me:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Miles Davis - Round About Midnight

Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser

All 3 are Columbia/Legacy recordings and sound wonderful. (SACD only, not hybrids).

Cheers,

Jake

Gday Scuzz,

Its been said before but I cant recommend highly enough: Beck - Seachange

If you can find it that is.

Other must-haves for me:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Miles Davis - Round About Midnight

Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser

All 3 are Columbia/Legacy recordings and sound wonderful. (SACD only, not hybrids).

Cheers,

Jake

Thanks Jake,

I have those Miles discs already. I will check out Straight, no Chaser and Beck.

John

I just got "Jazz at the pawnshop"- 3SACD set off ebay and it's superb, so if you even remotely like Jazz (predominantly accessible Jazz) then its well worth it. Great performances and very well recorded. It's a hybrid release.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4485

Thanks Veefy, I've added this title to my wishlist

Just placed an order for these.

I've put many others on "wishlist". Thelenious Monk was out of stock so it's in my wishlist. No Beck on this site...

MERSAM9807977 ROGER WATERS/LIVE IN BERLIN 2SACD

APSAM51056 RICKIE LEE JONES/IT'S LIKE THIS SACD

MASSA69617 MALENE MORTENSEN/DESPERADO IMPORT SACD

POLSAMI071 BJORK/VESPERTINE IMPORT SACD

TELSAM63638 JOHN PIZZARELLI/DEAR MR. SINATRA SACD

STSSA53 ACOUSTIC SOLUTIONS VOL. 2 IMPORT SACD

CHSAM325 BEST OF NEW YORK SESSIONS: VOLUME 1 PRMSA874 STACEY KENT/COLLECTION SACD

SONSAM61746 JOHN MAYER/ROOM FOR SQUARES SACD

IMPSA596 JOHN COLTRANE/A LOVE SUPREME SACD ISLSAM328D ELTON JOHN/GOODBYE YELLOW BRICKROAD

ISLSAM41219 ELTON JOHN/ELTON JOHN SACD ISLSAM688 BON JOVI/THIS LEFT FEELS RIGHT SACD

MOBSA2025 AIMEE MANN/BACHELOR NO.2 SACD

SONSA64114 YO-YO MA/SOLO SACD

SONSA65946 WILLIE NELSON/STARDUST SACD SONSA69888 TRAIN/DROPS OF JUPITER SACD

SONSA90324 BOB DYLAN/HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED SACD

SONSAM86270 VARIOUS ARTISTS/CONCERT FOR NY M-CH/2-

Awesome selection! I'll bet you;re looking forward to that lot John! :eek:

Yep - took the express mail option to get them quicker... :)

The one I'm looking forward to the most is Willie Nelson - Stardust... Will bring back lots of memories from growing up. Was what my old man used to play (repeatedly) when we'd be outside working on house extensions.. etc.. (Think of the Castle movie and all the half finished projects..)

I've got John Coltrane A Love Supreme on SACD.

It's great albeit a little on the bright side.

I saw it yesterday for sale in a local shop that is closing down. It's about $20 now when I have seen it for up to $45 in shops.

Anyone want me to grab it for them let me know.

Yep - took the express mail option to get them quicker... :eek:

The one I'm looking forward to the most is Willie Nelson - Stardust... Will bring back lots of memories from growing up. Was what my old man used to play (repeatedly) when we'd be outside working on house extensions.. etc.. (Think of the Castle movie and all the half finished projects..)

Could have played "Stardust" for you Friday on vinyl.........:)

Could have played "Stardust" for you Friday on vinyl.........:eek:

Thanks Keith, I reckon vinyl would suit Willie's plucking.. :)

I saw some footage of him in concert the other day and his guitar looks as old as him - holes through it galore..

I've got John Coltrane A Love Supreme on SACD.

It's great albeit a little on the bright side.

I saw it yesterday for sale in a local shop that is closing down. It's about $20 now when I have seen it for up to $45 in shops.

Anyone want me to grab it for them let me know.

Do they have many SACDs there?

I just picked up another 3 from JB hifi.

Peter Gabriel - Up

Peter Gabriel - Us

Peter Gabriel - Shaking the tree

Elusive only have one of his SACDs and its out of stock constantly. But yet JB had almost his whole range except "So".

Thanks Keith, I reckon vinyl would suit Willie's plucking.. :eek:

I saw some footage of him in concert the other day and his guitar looks as old as him - holes through it galore..

If you want to see some old guitars and someone who really has a passion for them, take a look at Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" dvd.

Do they have many SACDs there?

quote]

No unfortunately not. The Coltrane one was the one one i could find. they don't have a specail section for them so there might be a few more dispersed aroudn the store but i copuldn't find them. I asked and they said they stopped getting them ages ago...SACD didn't take off et etc.

If they had more i would have done soem buying. GOt a coupel of great modern jazz/classical red book cd's tho. should post them in the currently spinning section i guess.

If any Adelaidians are worndering which shop...Market Music on Gouger street. Thanks for the tip Anythiing.

I don't know if you have found this site yet scuzzii http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/702

The site has some reviews on SACD titles which may help if your forking out yer hard earned cash on unheard SACDs.

The page I linked to has an interesting review from an audio engineers perspective.

NFA

NFA,

thanks mate. Yes I was aware of this site. I use it to find out what SACD titles could be at elusive discs.

Interesting write ups aren't they...

john

Hi guys,

just after some recommendations for some good sounding SACDs. I have a few and find some of them a bit bright, not sure if that's the norm for them or not.

Norah Jones - Come away with me is an example of what I'm finding a touch bright.

Anyway, some others aren't. Billy Joel - The Stranger was pretty good for an older recording.

Let me know if you have a few favourites on SACD. I'm going to place another order at Elusive Disc today.

Eden Atwood is one artist I would recommend on SACD.

John

Hi Scuzzi, the main issue with the Norah Jones SACD is that it was converted to DSD from the 16bit 44.1khz CD master! So it offers no better sound than the CD version, and could even potentially sound worse.

See this Stereophile article.

Ray Charles - Genius loves company, Ray Sings Basie Swings

E.S.T - Viatacum, Tuesday Wonderland

Jennifer Warnes - The Well

Marianne Thorsen - Mozart: Violin Concertos

Hugh Masekela - Hope

Dave Wilczewski - Room in the clouds

The Pixies - Surfer Rosa, Doolittle

Patricia Barber - All of the albums available are great

Buddy Rich - The best band I ever had

I've got plenty more recommendations if you have more money to spend. My wife and I really like the Willie Nelson - Stardust SACD you have already selected BTW. Don't forget to check out acoustic sounds and amazon also.

Hi Scuzzi, the main issue with the Norah Jones SACD is that it was converted to DSD from the 16bit 44.1khz CD master! So it offers no better sound than the CD version, and could even potentially sound worse.

See this Stereophile article.

Hey Marine,

To be honest, the brightest of them all so far. A SACD to be played at low volume... ;)

I'd sell the thing but would want to be dis-credited..! So it will not get much play.

Anyway, my latest order was despatched yesterday, so beauties I hope...

Trial and error with some of these.

Not sure if she is on SACD - but went to buy Amy W on black today - found the offendig record - took to counter and they had "lost" the LP - looks like they sold the LP instead of the 12inch - so could not spi her tonight and make Grumpy all shivery - but suspect she would b wirth gettig on SACD if possible - what a voice

Ray Charles - Genius loves company, Ray Sings Basie Swings

E.S.T - Viatacum, Tuesday Wonderland

Jennifer Warnes - The Well

Marianne Thorsen - Mozart: Violin Concertos

Hugh Masekela - Hope

Dave Wilczewski - Room in the clouds

The Pixies - Surfer Rosa, Doolittle

Patricia Barber - All of the albums available are great

Buddy Rich - The best band I ever had

I've got plenty more recommendations if you have more money to spend. My wife and I really like the Willie Nelson - Stardust SACD you have already selected BTW. Don't forget to check out acoustic sounds and amazon also.

Thanks Marine. I'll add them to the wish list and check out the other sites. Will hold off any new SACD purchases until I recover $$ wise..;)

Not sure if she is on SACD - but went to buy Amy W on black today - found the offendig record - took to counter and they had "lost" the LP - looks like they sold the LP instead of the 12inch - so could not spi her tonight and make Grumpy all shivery - but suspect she would b wirth gettig on SACD if possible - what a voice

She's not available on SACD. I have to say though I bought back to black on CD (2 disc version) and the sound is quite poor, and lacking in clarity and detail which is a shame as she does have a great voice. The bonus disc seems to have better sound quality surprisingly.