PS Audio Direct Stream Dac Mk 2 or T +A 200 Dac or Auralic

Hey 

interested in updating my PS audio Dac Mk 1 to the new Mk 2 Dac or T +A 200 Dac or the new Auralic G 2.2 Vega Dac 

Any thoughts would be helpful 

thanks 

David 

55 minutes ago, Daf said:

Hey 

interested in updating my PS audio Dac Mk 1 to the new Mk 2 Dac or T +A 200 Dac or the new Auralic G 2.2 Vega Dac 

Any thoughts would be helpful 

thanks 

David 

I haven't done the comparisons, but within seconds of hearing the T+A DAC200, I knew I wanted one and I now have one coming (in addition to 2 x M200 monoblocs).

I have heard the other products you mention, but as my day job involves T+A and NOT the other brands (keeping in mind it was my decision on the T+A that made us become a dealer), it would be unfair of me to make comment on the other products without coming across as naturally biased.

As always, it would be encouraged to hear them for yourself and make your own mind up, but I will end my comment by saying the T+A is MASSIVELY underrated and is a very, very special brand. If you ever lusted after a Nagra DAC and couldn't afford one or justify the expense, this is the next best thing...

• Like 2

The Auralic Vega G2.2 removes the need to find the optimum connection between streamer and DAC.  Suggest you also look at Lumin P1 and the X1.  Give these an audition and find out for yourself how good they sound.

And the Auralic and Lumin apps are far better than mConnect or Bubble UPnP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, awayward said:

The PS Audio mk2 is a big step up from the mk1, so it is certainly worth considering if you like the sound signature of your mk1, the mk2 is similar.

100% agree. I really loved the DS1 DAC but when its maker said the DS2 bested the DS1 by a considerable margin, I jumped at the chance to make the switch. 

The only downside to the switch for me was needing to get the streaming capability that the DS1 had inbuilt. However, I can say the performance of the DS2 and the AirLens far exceeds what I heard with the DS1/Bridge.

6 minutes ago, I'mInterested said:

100% agree. I really loved the DS1 DAC but when its maker said the DS2 bested the DS1 by a considerable margin, I jumped at the chance to make the switch. 

The only downside to the switch for me was needing to get the streaming capability that the DS1 had inbuilt. However, I can say the performance of the DS2 and the AirLens far exceeds what I heard with the DS1/Bridge.

The other advantage of the mk2 is that Ted will work his magic over the next 5 years or so to improve the sound for free, this is a major bonus.

• Like 1

PS Audio Direct Stream Mk 2 was reviewed in Hifi News in July. It received a 'Hifi News Outstanding Product' badge. All depends on whether you believe professional reviewers in general but they pointed out in their lab report it did not measure as good as the Mk1. It does have very low jitter figures though but their A-wtd S/N ratio of 92.5dB is not the best in the industry. Please do not take this as a dampener; I am sure it is a very good sounding DAC. I have not heard one but I have heard the Mk1 some time ago and the reason I did not make the purchase was because I found the output from the XLR a bit on the low side. This would not have suited my amp. They have since improved this with the Mk2 version but it is now beyond my (financial) reach to even think about it. Here is the link to the review: https://www.hifinews.com/content/ps-audio-directstream-dac-2-usb-dac-lab-report. I have not heard the other 2 DACs you mentioned. Good luck with your search.

• 3 months later...

Well I bought the Auralic Vega Dac 2.2 new model it was the best of the 3 dacs

I tried a PS Audio Dac Mk 2 new model … it has a very high noise floor in it …., using it as a preamp it sounded terrible through my mono blocks 

sent it back bought the Auralic 2.2 hands down better … no noise at all … I run it through a pre amp 

the Tplus A was not as good as the vega either 

so out of three Vega is the best  😊

• Like 3

Congrats on your purchase David and hopefully you have reached the end of your search for now. I do find some of the preamps fitted to DACs a bit lacking in SQ compared to a pure preamp but still some others have done them really well.

FYI, I own a SPL Diamond DAC and run it as a preamp to my integrated amp, an Audia Flight FLS9, using the 'Direct' input that only utilises the power amp section. The sound is unbelievably good with high level of engagement. There is resolution, dynamic swing, musical but accurate and has remarkable headroom with no distortion. It bettered my integrated amp when running the SPL as a stand alone DAC. 

Edited by thimmy118