Help Please - Turntable 5 pin Din to RCA Conversion

Hello all, 

Newby after advice please. So, I have purchased, and probably an impulse purchase, a Dual CS 510 turntable from Facebook, "not noted" that it has a din lead instead of RCA's. So, I am wondering the best way to go, or, what to do to as far as converting to run RCA's. I have found a wiring diagram for the din lead, albeit, Dual 510 (cannot find what the CS means). Seems to be only connected to the 3 pins of din lead. So, to get to point, is this fairly simple to re wire from the din cable, i can solder and follow directions. I just did not want to cut / destroy the original din without some further advice. Hoping this all makes sense!  i have seen the other two posts regarding this, however, i am still unsure.... So, from schematic below - you have the white (pin 3) and red (pin 5) for the left and right channels. so is the shielding I am assuming on cables run to pin 220230929_075330.thumb.jpg.d2792098f92905417705fbbd6fca58c4.jpg20230929_075322.thumb.jpg.5cd67299ff556a3a524d919ec57a1551.jpg20230929_075330.thumb.jpg.d2792098f92905417705fbbd6fca58c4.jpg as the earth?? seems to be only two distinct wires running into the din that i can tell without cutting open as yet.

(2-512bc8bb96.jpg.17f0973ffc81defb6928a4f5e6772643.jpgany drawing or pics would be great).

The other way of course would be to purchase din to rca conversion wiring. My question to this would be, are the din wiring on most turntables universal so if i was to purchase one of these cables would it work? And of course. the cost factor out waying the cost of the turntable to the coast of a lead. I see they seem to range from Ebay $50 to $thou's  Thanks in advance, Regards Mick

Without any cutting, get yourself a 5 pin din inline socket, 2 rca plugs and 2 lengths of shielded cable.  strip one end of both  twist shield together and solder to pin 2. then use solder the centre core to pins 3 and 5.  other end attach rca plugs. make note of which you soldered onto 3 and 5 ie left and right channels.  try and make this extension a short as possible.  

you could always just cut the din plug off and replace with 2 rca male plugs

or try ebay for 5 pin din socket to 4 rca plug.

Edited by DDZIP
added

It appears your Din cable only has a single earth wire a normal Tone arm cable has a earth wire for each channel. This is your problem you need to solder on to this single wire so it looks like a Y so you can earth each of your new RCA plugs. Din T/A plugs are from a bygone era.  PS Din plugs are very difficult to solder suggest you avoid doing that.

Edited by Richard Tremain

https://www.amazon.com.au/Qaoquda-Adapter-Electrophonic-Olufsen-Quad-Stereo/dp/B07VHJ1CXT/ref=sr_1_5?crid=VI7JXCFZRRM7&keywords=5%2Bpin%2Bdin%2Bto%2Brca%2Bstereo&qid=1695960008&sprefix=5%2Bpin%2Bdin%2Bto%2Brca%2Bstereo%2Caps%2C321&sr=8-5&th=1

image.png.5602f723567a3bf166387e1c0d5ea31c.png

Text says it works with B&O and I found the following diagram, supposedly for a B&O connecter, so looks like it uses the same pins (3 and 5 for signal)

mogami-modulation-cable-35mm-to-din-5-pi

• Like 2

I would rewire the table internally, if it has all the cartridge wires coming out the base of the arm, and a black earth wire, you can fit some RCA sockets to the back panel of the TT and wire red/green to right channel, white/blue to left, and put a single speaker post in between the RCA's for your earth lead, Jaycar or Altronics for the parts.

• Like 2

I would get a low-capacitance RCA phono cable and replace the current cable.  Cut the RCA's off at one end, and solder to the connection plate in the Dual.  Or buy a length of low-capacitance  shielded cable and a couple of RCA plugs, and solder one end to the connection plate. 

That will ensure your leads are shielded, essential in a phono cables.  You will probably find it's an sonic upgrade on the stock cable. 

And use a length of any insulated cable for an earth cable with your phone leads, put a spade on one end and solder to the connection plate.  This can be a cheap wire, it doesn't contribute to the audio quality, it controls for an electrical hum (if it exists in your setup, it's not always required).

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 2

If it has a connection plate internally then yes it would be easy to use some phono coax or similar shielded cable, I would still separate the earth and channel wiring though and add an earth lead from inside to the phono stage.

• Like 1

Hi to all and thanks for helping out. Was getting a bit confused on which way to go here, however have just found a vid on you tube with a video of changing out the Din to RCA as suggested here as well. I think i will open her up and have a crack at it! Seems to be straight forward....(famous last words). Thanks again, Mick

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mick17 said:

Hi to all and thanks for helping out. Was getting a bit confused on which way to go here, however have just found a vid on you tube with a video of changing out the Din to RCA as suggested here as well. I think i will open her up and have a crack at it! Seems to be straight forward....(famous last words). Thanks again, Mick

It's a nice sort of job to get you started in doing this sort of thing if you haven't done it before.   If you struggle there will be plenty of people willing to help further.

20 hours ago, audiofeline said:

I would get a low-capacitance RCA phono cable and replace the current cable.  Cut the RCA's off at one end, and solder to the connection plate in the Dual.  Or buy a length of low-capacitance  shielded cable and a couple of RCA plugs, and solder one end to the connection plate. 

That will ensure your leads are shielded, essential in a phono cables.  You will probably find it's an sonic upgrade on the stock cable. 

And use a length of any insulated cable for an earth cable with your phone leads, put a spade on one end and solder to the connection plate.  This can be a cheap wire, it doesn't contribute to the audio quality, it controls for an electrical hum (if it exists in your setup, it's not always required).

Or just fit AUSSIEVINTAGE Adaptor !!!

4 hours ago, SonicArt said:

You could just fit an adapter, but it would be a far better job to rewire it with separate earths for channels and main arm earth and its an inexpensive task.

It is just an old Dual with crummy arm like i did own in early 1970s. Really the adaptor wins hands down, you would then upgrade the T.T. not the wiring.

Thanks all for the input, went ahead and pulled apart. Glad I did, was supposed to of been serviced recently! Oil everywhere inside! cleaned everything i could, and reoiled / greased where required, found the pitch belt oiled as well and no longer fitted due stretch, pitch adjusted locked up so removed, polished and grease - works fine now, just waiting for new belt. Thanks, once again for all input. 

20230930_112304.jpg

20230930_143739.jpg

20231001_124233.jpg

20231002_144739.jpg

good job! nice little tag strip for the arm wiring, make it super simple to solder directly to the tabs, for the few bucks from Jaycar etc  I would add coax and RCA plugs and a piece of hookup wire for the earth connection.