After some new music

Strong,powerful and complex? I'll give it a go.

Classical

--------

Beethoven - Symphony No 9 <----Very very obvious choice

Mozart - Requiem

Metal

-----

Death - The Sound of Perseverance <-----Brilliant musicianship

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence <-----Brilliant musicianship, some of the best and insane bass playing I have heard

Rock

-----

Pink Floyd - The Wall <---I'm a sucker for rock opera concept albums

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime <---I'm a sucker for rock opera concept albums

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways <----Brilliant space rock influenced by Pink Floyd with a bit more crunch at times

Jazz

-----

Not one single clue :D

Cheers.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think one artist or at least his label might cover the entire spectrum:

John Zorn & his many side projects....

e.g. Koby Israelite.....who can jump from jazz to death metal & then to Balkan (Gypsy) genres not only from track to track, but in the same track. (Moodswings & Orobas Book of Angels Vol.4 cd's are excellent examples).

Naked City series is pretty extreme, mainly free style jazz & hardcore metal combined.

Painkiller similarly extreme with not only John Zorn but Mick Harris (Scorn, Napalm Death etc) & Bill Laswell (bass player & producer extraordinaire).

Some of the Japanese series including Haino Keiji (hugely respected 'noise' gutiarist), Merzbow, Ikue Mori (avant-garde) etc.

Otherwise, bands such as Godflesh, Jesu, both of whom are Justin Braodrick founded might be suitable. Jesu is defininitely more melodic & is his most recent project.

Keeping in mind all of the above are quite extreme in terms of sound.

On a lighter side (although not actually so light) as suggested by Hired Goon, Godspeed make some highly listenable post-rock sounds without the metal, doom, thrash inklings of the above. Mogwai is another band of a similar standing in the post-rock world. They are from Glasgow, whereas Godspeed You Black Emperor are from Montreal.

I can think of many other bands in this instrumental post rock sphere that I like, whereas with my earlier suggestion I am a little 'light-on' as I generally don't listen to very much death or doom metal, but I do quite like dronish sounds.

Cam Butler from Melbourne is an excellent artist making somewhat post rock soundscapes, almost like movie scores. He has recently released his 5th solo album after being the founder of the band Silver Ray. This most recent release is kind of like a companion to last years release (See) Symphony No.1. It is (Dark Times) Symphony No. 2. No metal in his work, but wonderful guitar & with often lush strings (violin, cello).

I think this might be a great place to start in your musical search for somthing new.

Cheers. :D