Marantz SR6006 issues

Hi All,

I've had a SR6006 for about 8 months & the switching of sources has me perplexed as we seem to have an issue with the audio, i.e. I only hear sound if I start the amp using my Logitech remote, ("Watch TV" command) via my STB into the "TV" input on the HT Amp. If I start the amp by pressing "Watch Movies" on the Logitech (Harmony 785), the Blu-Ray player switches on but I don't have sound, same when I select "Watch Fox"?

All source components are connected via HDMI into the SR6006.

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest VladimirFreddie

I've also found that changing the order in which components come on can affect HDMI handshaking.

The other thing I had happen when using my logitech harmony remote is when there wasn't enough delay allowed for the component to turn on and then switch inputs. So there would be no sound from the fronts until I increased the turn on delay for my amp. The remote was trying to switch inputs before the amp had initialized.

Edited by VladimirFreddie

• 3 weeks later...

Any suggestions as to what is important to turn on 1st?

I have a an Arcam & Marantz in the same HT set up & both share the same codes so when one switches on, it switches the other one off. I seemed to have fixed this by having them both turn on 1st & 2nd but now I don't get any sound when "watching TV" or "watching Movie".

It's obviously the sequence so should I have the Marantz turn on 1st or last? The PVR does take a while to switch on?

Cheers

Matt

Guest VladimirFreddie

I have my source source switching on first. This fixes things for me but I'm not sure there is a hard and fast rule. I would change the order a few different ways and see if there is any improvement.

Hi VF,

I've made so many sequence changes & it's getting worse not better.

I now have to switch everything on, then switch the amp off/on to get sound!! If I fire everything up & switch off the PVR & switch it back on, still no sound so must be a amp issue?

I'm thinking I may have a problem. I'm about to disable audio via HDMI & just use digital for my PVR & Foxtel to see if this removes the issue. I'll keep audio for BD via HDMI.

Very frustrating, especially for er in doors as she's not very patient!!

Cheers

Matt

Guest VladimirFreddie

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear its not getting better. I see you have an oppo93 - as do I. As I still had problems with things even though they got better, I now run the main HDMI straight to the TV & The second HDMI from the Oppo into my AV preamp (or your receiver). Since then I've had no issues. But of course there won't be any onscreen display from the AV Receiver.

Perhaps this is worth a try. Hopefully it works and if it doesn't I'm not sure what else to try.

It's very annoying, especially when family or my wife attempts to turn everything on & they get know sound etc.

I sold a 8 year old Pioneer HT AMP (the excellent AX5i) so I could simplify using HDMI connections & switch between source components more easily & benefit from higher res audio on Blu-Ray but it's not been the case. The sound quality has been improved for movies, but I'm questioning if this has been outweighed by the difficulties experienced.

I sold a 8 year old Pioneer HT AMP (the excellent AX5i) so I could simplify using HDMI connections & switch between source components more easily & benefit from higher res audio on Blu-Ray but it's not been the case. The sound quality has been improved for movies, but I'm questioning if this has been outweighed by the difficulties experienced.

Was that one of the top end pioneer models at the time? But yeah I too find the reliability of HDMI is very questionable. The more complicated something is made the more unreliable it is.

Guest VladimirFreddie

It's very annoying, especially when family or my wife attempts to turn everything on & they get know sound etc.

I understand completely. The problems I did have with the same sort of issue has made it so my wife & daughter won't even use it any more even though it's OK now. My son on the other hand needs surround ... to play PS3 lol