ONKYO AV Receiver Owners Thread

Yup, they were using 4 of these for the Atmos Demo this afternoon.  Didn't check their pricing as I was not interested in getting them as I have my own!!  You can call Hwee Seng! :)

Thanks for the update.

Btw, the demo today using the up firing satellites was better than the down firing ones at KEC and Pioneer!  The sound field was wider, imaging and separation more pronounced and height really realistic and pulpable!  According to the Dolby engineer, down firing from the ceiling when positioned correctly, will produce better results and should be the first option!  Too bad before I could grilled him more on the positioning in a small room, he was quickly whisked away! :P

Btw, the demo today using the up firing satellites was better than the down firing ones at KEC and Pioneer!  The sound field was wider, imaging and separation more pronounced and height really realistic and pulpable!  According to the Dolby engineer, down firing from the ceiling when positioned correctly, will produce better results and should be the first option!  Too bad before I could grilled him more on the positioning in a small room, he was quickly whisked away! :P

Yes agreed.

so francis, did they say anything about a higher level model coming up?

or is onkyo stopping at 3030?

whats the price for the 3030 anyway?

I have call and check there is no replacement for 5010.

TX-NR1030 $26xx

TX-NR3030 $37xx

PR-SC5530 $35xx

SKH-410 $32x

These are the retail price.

hope that all this help....

i believe n hope onkyo comes out with a series 5..

as the 3030, is not written up as flagship on their website.

it does not have the THX ULTRA 2 specs as for all their flagship models.

so i am still holding out for a series 5 flagship.

if u go through their website, onkyo will always state the word "Flagship" for their top range.

guess its a secret they r not letting out of the bag, since hwee seng doesn't know too...

Newer models of Onkyo should be cooler already.

Example, my 818  run much cooler than the older models such as 505. 818 has 2 cooling fans, and it very, very rarely activate during my typical usage in 26 degrees Celsius room.

Comparable temperature to my previous Denon 1911.

The newer 828 is actually a downgrade compared to 818.

818  vs  828

135 watt -> 130 watt

Audyssey MultEQ XT32 -> Audyssey MultEQ(not even XT)

9.2 channels pre-out -> 7.2 channels pre-out

NO Differential DAC Mode for Front Channels

NO Isolated Power-Amp and Pre-Amp Block

18.3kg -> 15.0kg

SNR (Line IHF-A): 110dB -> 106dB

828 no - D-Sub (15-pin) VGA Input

- Rear USB Input

- Analog Audio Input

Hi Bro,

Are you sure 818 is 9.2 channels?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

but since i am a power hungry guy, i feed my front left n right n centre speakers with a Emotiva XPA-3 power amp now.

i don't have to do that,as the onkyo 3030 can do it on its own, but its jus me..

personal satisfaction.

Your Low Pass Filter (LPF) for LFE should preferably set at 120 Hz. You "may" lose some LFE between 120Hz - 90Hz range should there ever be a movie with that kind of LFE band.

thks bro, i will chg it to 120.

i did the change to 80, as a bro told me it would sound better...

is 70 ok for my front left n right plus centre channels?

As Onkyo is not using Audyssey calibration per se, it is hard for me to put a recommendation to it...but as a general rule of thumb for crossover settings AFTER calibration (regardless whether Audyssey, AccEQ, YPAO or MCACC etc), you CAN increase the crossover setting HIGHER than the default setting given by the calibration s/w...you SHOULD NOT adjust the crossover figure down as it will defeat the "calibration" in the first place...in other words, if your default value for the Front Left/Right is already at 70Hz, you can either CHOOSE to increase the crossover to 80Hz provided your Mains are capable enough (which I surmise it is) or remain STATUS QUO (at 70Hz)...the key here is to "experiment" it for yourself...so long you set the Front Mains to SMALL, crossover values between 60Hz - 80Hz should be fine.

Aiyo, 80hz?

Which guru advice one?

Never see anything like this in the thread before.

Very misleading leh!

For me I will always read those ht gurus threads 1st and then try out their recommended settings (only those highly knowledgeable one).

We have a few here in xtreme who are really that good,I learned alot from their threads.

ok... time to change my front left right n centre to 80 too..

cheers!

;)

You may or may not "hear" much of a difference...if no different, you may wish to stick to 80Hz for now.

thks guys.

i dont dive much into settings..

jus follow advise from a few bros who have visited me, during the numerous demo's..

always tweaking n changing things here n there..

hehehehe!!!

;) :D

thks guys.

i dont dive much into settings..

jus follow advise from a few bros who have visited me, during the numerous demo's..

always tweaking n changing things here n there..

hehehehe!!!

;) :D

Apart from getting the best speakers and subwoofers, equally important is also to understand and appreciate the basic (recommended) tweaks on the AVR settings to help ensure that your HT system is running at its optimum settings...anything beyond that and if the system did not sound as good, then we know the problem may emanate from somewhere else.