Bowers & Wilkins Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Mhh... is this what is really happening in B&W, maybe I put it that way, maybe they wish to help you out, but then if there's something really happens then it's hard to tell.

One of my friend have bought a few speakers from them, and have the same incident where his kids poke on the tweeter, and gets his replacement quite fast, ard 20 days? Thats why he ask me to consider B&W....

Well...depends...all the best to you

Two months back, I was comtemplating between B&W and MA and in the end I bought the B&W CM1 despite the high price tag. Ppl might questioned, for that price, you would have gotten yourself a much higher end MA speakers. Given my reply then would be yes, but B&W is such an exclusive brand just like the BMW for cars and the service/support should be first class and I'm paying for the first class service.

But if you ask me the same question now, my answer would still be yes but I'm gonna look at the higher end MA speakers instead.

A month after I bought my speakers, my son dented the fragile and delicated tweeter dome. For that I asked The Experts Group (TEG) to help me change the domes. There is nothing with TEG but when I asked how long would it take for B&W to send the parts over from UK, I was told they would take about 30 - 60 days. What the heck! Even if they are literally shipped, the journey dun even need to take 1 whole month unless they kayak here.

I recalled recently my friend's BMW car seat has a strand of thread that came loose and for that BMW changed the whole seat for him and the seat arrived from germany in just 2 weeks. A car seat = 2 weeks and a pair of tweeter dome = ?? months. I've waited a month and still no news....

Guess B&W = Buy & Wait

OMG...3 tweeter in a day...lolz...all the best to you...

Two mths ago, I ordered a full 685 HT set from distributor.  After a looong wait, they managed to loan me a new set but of a different colour.  Unfortunately, me son's itchy fingers depressed the tweeters of the 3 speakers the same day.  Imagine my horror when I was quoted $500 bucks (incl labour) to repair the tweeters.  Unbelievable - and was told that it's fixed price by agent.  If not for the awful colour (my view), wld have just taken loaned set and lived with it.   

Darn frustrating experience.  If the fragile tweeter is a problem faced by so many pple, why can't they just change the design.  Or maybe that's the whole point - make it easily spoilable, don't provide warranty and charge an arm/leg for repair.   Was so excited with my B&W purchase but on hindsight, perhaps shld hv gone with the MA instead...

Down firing sub? so how's the effect? as I heard that it won't be as good compare to the direct firing sub?

Anyway it's quite subjective,

The worst case I've ever encountered. Kid sit on the subwoofer & kick the woofer like a drumer.

Down firing sub should be safer.  ;D

A month after I bought my speakers, my son dented the fragile and delicated tweeter dome. For that I asked The Experts Group (TEG) to help me change the domes. There is nothing with TEG but when I asked how long would it take for B&W to send the parts over from UK, I was told they would take about 30 - 60 days. What the heck! Even if they are literally shipped, the journey dun even need to take 1 whole month unless they kayak here.

I recalled recently my friend's BMW car seat has a strand of thread that came loose and for that BMW changed the whole seat for him and the seat arrived from germany in just 2 weeks. A car seat = 2 weeks and a pair of tweeter dome = ?? months. I've waited a month and still no news....

Guess B&W = Buy & Wait

Eh... Actually my friend have a similar experience but he managed to get it replace quite soon. In fact, they only ask him to bring unit down for replacement when the parts are in and it took only about a day or two to get it replaced after the parts are in.

Btw, since there are so many discussion on prices here, are there going to be any "recession sales" coming up??  ;D ;D ;D

) HT102: 2 x 805S, HTM4S (coming soon)

2) Magnuz: 2x 683 (Cherry) pending delivery

3) Jeetung: 2x 684, HTM62 (Wenge) (ETA within 90 days)

4) DJQ: 2x DM601, 2x DM600, LCR60 ( old discontinued models )

5) lhraiders 2 x 805s, 2 x DS3, HTM4s pending delivery

6) TYF : 2xCM1 (planning to upgrade to 685)

7) JLCSG: 2 x 804s (ETA 90 days)

bong: 2x 685, 2x 686, HTM62

9) SteinigerGE: 1 x HTM3S, 2 x 805S (Surrounds)

10) Ajitbm: 2 x 685 and HTM62 (Wenge)

11) lkaiseng: 2 x 685, HTM62 (Wenge), 2 x DM601

12) badbad2000: 2 x 685 (black) pending delivery

13) DoggieHowser oldskool 601S2s x 2 pairs, CDM CSE center

14) T1M3CH453R 5x M-1 sattelites for Home Theater duties.

Two months back, I was comtemplating between B&W and MA and in the end I bought the B&W CM1 despite the high price tag. Ppl might questioned, for that price, you would have gotten yourself a much higher end MA speakers. Given my reply then would be yes, but B&W is such an exclusive brand just like the BMW for cars and the service/support should be first class and I'm paying for the first class service.

But if you ask me the same question now, my answer would still be yes but I'm gonna look at the higher end MA speakers instead.

Guess B&W = Buy & Wait

Hi Wyvern,

I can understand your frustration and believe you have emailed myself and B&W UK on this. 

I believe all parties have apologised to you on this and explained that this is a difficult transitional period where B&W is trying to transfer service support from UK to Asia.  The whole stock movement have to be suspended pending the system (hardware, software, stocks) to be transferred.

This is why no one can commit an earlier delivery date for your replacement of your dented tweeter.

And we anticipated delay, this is why we did not ask you to bring down your unit so that you can still use the speaker (despite the dented tweeter).

We have even told B&W that we will pay priority courier to get this item in and have communicated with them repeatedly on this issue.  Also, I believe you are in communication with Kenny (emails and calls) on this matter.

On the point on the new BMW car with a seat with manufacturing defect, I think B&W should have changed the whole car since its new!  And in that perspective, if you have purchased from us and have had manufacturer defects with the item, we would have changed it even if we did not get support from B&W. 

If you wish to further clarify on your HF issue, pls contact me via email (which you have).  I have also asked B&W to email you directly on this matter.

Regards

Jason Teong

General Manager

The Experts Group Pte Ltd

Sole Distributor for B&W, Classe, Arcam and Xantech - Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei

Sole Distributor for Audioquest - Singapore

e. & o. e.

Two mths ago, I ordered a full 685 HT set from distributor.  After a looong wait, they managed to loan me a new set but of a different colour.  Unfortunately, me son's itchy fingers depressed the tweeters of the 3 speakers the same day.  Imagine my horror when I was quoted $500 bucks (incl labour) to repair the tweeters.  Unbelievable - and was told that it's fixed price by agent.  If not for the awful colour (my view), wld have just taken loaned set and lived with it.   

Darn frustrating experience.  If the fragile tweeter is a problem faced by so many pple, why can't they just change the design.  Or maybe that's the whole point - make it easily spoilable, don't provide warranty and charge an arm/leg for repair.   Was so excited with my B&W purchase but on hindsight, perhaps shld hv gone with the MA instead...

Hi Newdan,

Sorry, we do not have such a case on record.  pls advise if you have purchased from us or the dealer. 

Regards

Jason Teong

General Manager

Sole Distributor for B&W, Classe, Arcam and Xantech - Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei

e. & o. e.

Hi Wyvern,

I can understand your frustration and believe you have emailed myself and B&W UK on this. 

I believe all parties have apologised to you on this and explained that this is a difficult transitional period where B&W is trying to transfer service support from UK to Asia.  The whole stock movement have to be suspended pending the system (hardware, software, stocks) to be transferred.

This is why no one can commit an earlier delivery date for your replacement of your dented tweeter.

And we anticipated delay, this is why we did not ask you to bring down your unit so that you can still use the speaker (despite the dented tweeter).

We have even told B&W that we will pay priority courier to get this item in and have communicated with them repeatedly on this issue.  Also, I believe you are in communication with Kenny (emails and calls) on this matter.

On the point on the new BMW car with a seat with manufacturing defect, I think B&W should have changed the whole car since its new!  And in that perspective, if you have purchased from us and have had manufacturer defects with the item, we would have changed it even if we did not get support from B&W. 

If you wish to further clarify on your HF issue, pls contact me via email (which you have).  I have also asked B&W to email you directly on this matter.

Regards

Jason Teong

General Manager

e. & o. e.

Hi Jason,

As I've mentioned, I did not fault TEG at all, knowing that the delay is at B&W end. Like what you've said, TEG had repeatedly reminded them and even offered to pay priority courier for the parts to be delivered (I really appreciate that) but apparently your plea has fallen on deaf ear. By the way B&W did not email me even though you've requested them to do and at end I've also sent an email. They simply bo chap.

To be honest, I'm only frustrated with way B&W handled this minor issue. It would have been solved if they can just dig out a pair of spare tweeters (which I believe they would most likely have, else they can always request their China counterpart to send it over 1st).

By the way, on the BMW car, it would have been too much if my friend asked for the car to be changed when the loose thread on seat does not affect the car's performance.

Anyway, Kenny finally has some good news for me....The stock will come in this week and hopefully, no surprises.

Jason, thanks for the clarifications.

Hi Wyvern,

I need to mention that B&W believes that the people best to handle the customers are the local distriibutors like us.  I think it is not a matter of "bo-chap" but a matter of taking granted that we (the local distributors) can appease local customers while they make the major move to setup a service center in Asia.  I guess, perhaps we have failed in our job and we apologise for it.

I believe you will get a response directly from B&W.  They usually do make a response.  Perhaps the service manager is traveling.

As for your parts, we have placed it as top priority.  We sincerely regret the delay and we will track the shipment once we recieve the AWB number.

Regards

jason

) HT102: 2 x 805S, HTM4S (coming soon)

15) music_loft: 2 x 685 

Eh... Actually my friend have a similar experience but he managed to get it replace quite soon. In fact, they only ask him to bring unit down for replacement when the parts are in and it took only about a day or two to get it replaced after the parts are in.

Btw, since there are so many discussion on prices here, are there going to be any "recession sales" coming up??  ;D ;D ;D

I also understand from my friend that partial of his charges was waived..... hmmm... my "hardworking" maid have caused some dent marks sometime back, so can i also have partial charges waived??  :P

Anyway, I now backside itchy... thought of upgrading to HT set up. Any bros here have any experience with Denon AVR with B&W? Thinking of 2309.....

I love my B&Ws !  What a piece of art !

1) HT102: 2 x 805S, HTM4S (coming soon)

16) jayou 2 x 805s (RoseNut) 

I love my B&Ws !  What a piece of art !

I love the curves *ahemm*

Welcome to the club! You should also consider getting a HTM4S to match this pair of beauties.  ;D

1) HT102: 2 x 805S, HTM4S (Rosenut)

16) jayou 2 x 805s (RoseNut) 

I went to their showroom leh...it costs around $4320...whoops...but then they are selling the 804S = demo = very good condition...but need to check with them again how much would that be..as I'm rushing so no time to ask...anyway they sounds great as well..lolz

Maybe they are B&W so that's the reason why they sounds good..

Brand new? I think abt 4k+

At over 4k IMHO, I feel it is overpriced. If you can accomodate the size, try auditioning the Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1s. Coming from electrostats, which are sadly very unreliable in our weather and humidity, this thing delivers just almost the same level of clarity.

The quality of these speakers are simply amazing and it's often to the amazement of the reviewers why it doesn't cost so much more than it really does. The founder of sixmoons is a convert. As am I.

I believe the price can be significantly lower if you buy a few pairs in cash.  ;)

haha. a few pairs? meaning Mass order? hmmz i am in if what you are saying is significantly lower with cash payment. heheheh  ;D

Buyers beware!

Ever since I have owned the 805s, I had many insomnia nights as there seems to be something missing.  If you are into HT as well, you would be asking yourself to get the centre piece of art!  At least the HTM4s.

Even after that, you would want to have a matching speaker stands to go along with these beauties.  Then you ask yourself if your amp is powerful enough to bring the best out of them!

The poison is deep  ;D

I still luv my B&W!

I love the curves *ahemm*

Welcome to the club! You should also consider getting a HTM4S to match this pair of beauties.  ;D

Mhh..after going down for an audition for the B&W speakers...OMG.. have been addicted to the 800 series, esp the 805S and 804S, but it seems that someone said that the 2nd hand would be selling at around $3.5k?

But a new pair only costs me $4K++, just that's only a difference of a few hundreds, might as well get a new pair with fresh warranty?

*Peace of mind without any worries going back to The Experts Group for warranty related issue*<== This is what I think of...

Hi All,

Maybe this is a good time to clear things up on warranty (and raise another controversy) and let the consumer decide if its worth it to purchase from us, or from authorized source, or from people that claimed to have "2nd alternative source, or from parallels or from 2nd hand stores.

Key notes about B&W warranty:

1) "The warranty is only valid for the original owner. It is not transferable"

2)  "Exclusions may apply"

3) "you will need the original sales invoice or other proof of ownership and date of purchase"

4) "To validate your warranty, you will need to produce the warranty booklet completed and stamped by your dealer on the date of purchase"

Of course we provide some flexibility but this is only limited to our customers since we have their details in our system database.  We regret that we do not have full database of other units not shipped in by us and need supporting documents (and some time) to verify the warranty status.

And for "foreign intervention", we need to have the sales invoice (showing items fully paid and delivered), proof of ownership (eg IC/ID), warranty booklet and the online warranty registration confirmation.

And to answer Music loft (and some customer may have seen this notice in our showroom), if you have purchased your 685 from us, we will:

o For out-of warranty repair but within warranty period, we will waive 100% of the Evaluation and Service charge.  There will be a 50% discount on parts cost.

o For out-of warranty repair during out of warranty period, we will waive 50% of the Evaluation and Service charge. 

out-of-warranty = non-manufacturing defects

Basically, what we do is that we do an internal admin to reflect the above waivers as discounts against their last purchase from us.

And to pre-empt the question why only partially waive and not 100% waiver - simply because we need to ask our customers to force their maid to be more careful with their precious B&W.

And for avoidance of doubt, we do provide warranty (at our own costs) for 2nd hand traded-in units that we have resold on behalf of our customers.  You will be unable to register warranty online and you need to keep the sales invoice as record of warranty.  the warranty comes directly from us, not B&W.  ie if it breaks, we do not file claims with B&W and will bear the cost of such repairs. 

on 805 pricing, sigh, this is a complicated matter and involves many parties beyond TEG.

Regards

Jason Teong

General Manager

e. & o. e.