Bowers & Wilkins Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

This thread is kind of dead.

Any real owners for CM7 here? I would love to hear the 800s but I realised the price gap from CM to 800s is like one galaxy away.  ;D

I will find time to go TEG to hear the hugging warmth of B&W CM series. I may just steal a peek at 804D which I think is one of the most beautiful speakers in the world. 804s wasn't that out of reach but the d for diamond just push the ante way up. I think CM should be equally good but keen to hear owners experience with them.

cheers

C722, chase 78, and a few others own the CM 1.

Some threads:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=73292.0

Comments:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=73292.0

The CM series is not as popular as the 6 series due to a couple of reasons IMO:

- HT, the 6 series is more value for HT and the smoother tone of the CM series does not encourage B/W enthusiasts to get it

- cost - as we all are aware, when it is compared to others in its class, you can find alternatives which are less costly. Its the same reason why Marantz is so popular. It costs significantly less in Singapore compare to other brands which are priced at the same band in other markets.

As for the sonic tone, it falls into a "nice" and "safe" sound - so it is none fatiguing, warm and easy to listen to for background music. It lacks the hump in the bass range like the MA RS 6, so that may not endear it to buyers looking for the "thump thump" kind of bass, and it is not high or treble happy and won't appeal to those who for example prefer the JM Lab / MA sound.

So where does it leave it? Well, I would avoid Arcam or Marantz to partner it if you are keen. Something a little more exciting to bring the best out of it. The older and obsolete 7xx series was a better buy IMO. But now with the price of the new 8XX, there is a significant gap in price between the CM and the new 8xx series. If you are not adverse to 2nd hand buys, the older 805s will give you more in sound and bass than the CM 7.

Thanks Petetherock

My application is for both HT and music and the speakers need to be dynamic sounding but not to harsh for long listening. I think you describe that B&W will fit the latter but the formal is not as clear. Damn the 800s are so ex.

Would you think that it will be a sonic upgrade for me from MA Silvers to B&W 600 series? I would be needing floorstanders.

Cheers

Going from MAs to the CM is more of a lateral shift than a quantum leap IMO. You may also want to try out the MA RX series, which has been reputed to be more ear friendly than the RS series.

But as usual Auditioning is vital, my meat could be your poison.

But if music is really important, I would look for a better amp (read good stereo amp) to partner your speakers. It may be better to pay for for 6xx if your MAs are old, then get a decent 2nd pair of 805s for music.

Otherwise keep your MAs, then spend on the new stereo pair instead.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks bro petetherock for mentioning. ::)  :-*

so i contribute my 2 cents.

well as bro pete said cm1 is safe lo. safe and simple. its smooth in a way... good for vocals and classical music and strings and trumpet.

its like a wife / gf who is undemanding. u will not hiam her or find fault. def not sexy. depends on wat u like in life. the old monsoon audio salesman suggested cm1 and i took the bait, its was the end of monsoon selling B&w so they thrown in free stands to clear.

i think sound wise is one up from those popular quads 12L or something. but sound is below those mid to hi end models like rogers ls 35 or 805 or atc. not very detailed either. soundstage is generally good, depends on the source.

design wise is very very good with good scandinavian handiwork and finishing. magnet stick on covers.

do agree with petetherock comment that 805 better than cm7. 805 has that soul or midrange or something treble to it (i cant define). cm7 is like cm1 with more bass and freqs. still good nonetheless. 805 is like a souped up hifi version of cm1 (although now cant say that am a fan of 805 sound). its like same family but also different? Bro pete care to share your thoughts on this "family" sound?

lastly, cm1 uses the bass airport which has a sound of its own. its like a moving airy bass sound. one friend does nt like this. esp if you dun have stuff to absorb the bass like in my living room.

Bro dizzy, if u wan can come my place to listen. PM me. pairing up with old classe amp here. sounds good la, cant hiam, not fast not furious.

thanks guys.

chase78

Maybe you can consider dropping by with your CM 1 and try it with the setup I have, then you will have the answer for yourself :)

The sound is different - the 805s is also a larger beast.

Its a pity that the 805D is significantly more. Many would aspire to the 8 series, but its a lot further away now.

chase78

Maybe you can consider dropping by with your CM 1 and try it with the setup I have, then you will have the answer for yourself :)

The sound is different - the 805s is also a larger beast.

Its a pity that the 805D is significantly more. Many would aspire to the 8 series, but its a lot further away now.

i scared drop by your 805s beast eat my mini cute and innocent CM1 up. :P *chomp chomp*

still wanna check out your setup le... 8)

u mean 805d costs more? bnw jacking up prices na... they sound damn good?

chase78

Thanks for your offer of audition. I will PM you to arrange.

Anyway I have went down to listen to CM7 and 804D but somehow I wasn't suck into the music. Not sure whether it is because there are using Arcam AVR to drive both speakers (not sure why Diamond is driven by Arcam AVR also) Although the sound is warm but it is not engaging enough for me and does not feel exciting at all. I am not able to describe audiophile terms like nice high mid lows etc but I want my future speakers to sound big and engaging. i.e I can tap to the song or make me immerse into the nice rythmn.

Also 804D pricing is way of the world. So good for me too as I cannot afford. CM7 dont appear to be an sonic upgrade versus my Monitor Audios.

Cheers

Hi All,

We're proud to announce that the 805 Diamond loudspeaker has been awarded European High-End Loudspeaker 2010-2011 by the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA).

Here would be some of the reviews and excerpts:

The 805 Diamond is possibly the most requested speaker that Bowers & Wilkins has never made… until now. This groundbreaking bookshelf model sees diamond tweeter technology arrive in the most affordable, real-world speaker yet, and brings this level of stunning audio performance into the reach of many discerning listeners for the first time.

"The EISA judging panel concluded: “Bowers & Wilkins’ classic 805 standmount loudspeaker gets the ‘Diamond’ makeover. Additionally boasting an innovative 4-magnet motor design, the new Nautilus tube-loaded tweeter, a revised bass/midrange driver and uprated crossover are housed in its matrix-inspired cabinet'.

Please feel free to dropby to have an auditon on the speakers and please let us know what is your feedback on the B&W805D :)

Cheers

KNY

This groundbreaking bookshelf model sees diamond tweeter technology arrive in the most affordable, real-world speaker yet....

Most affordable diamond tweeter speaker, I believe, is from Usher..

From US list price of 805S at US$2.5k to 805D at US$5k.. I wonder how big the jump is at TEG..

Thanks to Pete and the rest for singing the praises of B&W. I bought a B&W 805S today and hooked it up to an Onkyo AVR. It is awesome. I hope to get a decent power amp soon to partner it.

Well done bro, I think you will enjoy it more with a real stereo amp - ask chase78.... I think he had fun tonight with the 805s... will wait for him to get home first...

These speakers like power... (I guess you got them from Omegared? )

Well done bro, I think you will enjoy it more with a real stereo amp - ask chase78.... I think he had fun tonight with the 805s... will wait for him to get home first...

These speakers like power... (I guess you got them from Omegared? )

yes, I got them from Omegared. Great condition. Do you think I should get a Krell or MF to partner it? I would love to hear your system sometime.

Well Jimi is coming tomorrow about 3pm for an hour, you can come too if you wish.

Then you can hear what my MF A 5.5 sounds with the Oppo Nuforce.

yes, I got them from Omegared. Great condition. Do you think I should get a Krell or MF to partner it? I would love to hear your system sometime.

Well Jimi is coming tomorrow about 3pm for an hour, you can come too if you wish.

Then you can hear what my MF A 5.5 sounds with the Oppo Nuforce.

Gosh, I wish I could. I am booked for Fried Rice Paradise tomorrow at 3 pm.

Let's get together some other time...

Good idea, in fact I'm also looking for an amp to paired with my 803S as I'm not satisfied with my current amp from Arcam as well. Was thinking along the lines of a Classe Stereo Amp but the price of the new CA-2300 is killing me. Any suggestions on a good combi with a reasonable price?

Gosh, I wish I could. I am booked for Fried Rice Paradise tomorrow at 3 pm.

No worries, your speakers should be well run in, so enjoy it and you can upgrade the amp later on. It makes a huge difference...

A well maintained 805s makes a nice sonic investment, until the price of the newer 805D comes to a more reasonable level - don't get me wrong, the newer ones are nice, just not that well priced for the consumer who wants more sound but has a light wallet.

And for us who don't have large spaces, the 805s actually makes a lot of sense, and you don't lose as much in bass. But if busy orchestral music is your cup of tea, then a multiple driver floorstander may be more suitable.

Musical Fidelity makes a good combination with the 8 series. Good power from the 5, 5.5 or even the M series.

There is a M6 floating around, when it comes down to a realistic price, it will make a good investment - 200W is a nice way of controlling the 803s.

Hi Quest,

Yes, I do can agree with you that the prices for the B&W 805D is more expensive comparing to the other brands and model that you have mention in here, to a certain extend that even a few (not only that) instead in put most of them that came and drop by before to our showroom to have an audition on it have purchased it from us.

I do still remember that the first and a few pairs and even many of them have got that from us at a resonable price.

Yes and just want to mention again that:

The (EISA) is one of: The prestigious award is decided upon by representatives of the Hi-Fi reviewing community from across Europe.

Cheers.

KNY

Most affordable diamond tweeter speaker, I believe, is from Usher..

From US list price of 805S at US$2.5k to 805D at US$5k.. I wonder how big the jump is at TEG..

Thought I'd share my experience as a happy 805S owner. Glad I got mine before the big jump in price for the newer 805D (which I heard at TEG recently and wasn't sure the price jump justified it).

TBH the 805S was originally not only shortlist until I heard it (I was looking at Spendors). I like jazz vocals and these B&W speakers really do well with them - as far as bookshelves go. The good thing is they are pretty versatile with different types of electronics.

I've listened to them with a Cyrus 8Xpd integrated, then with a couple of Cyrus Mono Xs (loved that, but too ex for me) and now a couple of Bel Canto Ref500Ms.

The 8Xpd sounded good when I first heard it, but you could sense that the speakers wanted more power (okay for vocals, which I mostly listen to, but struggles a little with "complex" pieces). The Mono Xs, which I had a home loan, were detailed and sounded pretty "cosy" (sorry for my terminology as I'm a recent hi-fi buff). Finally, I got hold of the BC Ref500Ms, which really let the speakers open up. A lot more airy and room-filling, and it's clear the presentation is effortless. I am looking to plug in a really nice pre-amp/DAC to complete the current setup now...

To think this all started with the 805s.

If I upgrade from these B&Ws, it'd be to a really good floorstander, which will give some more bass (802s when I strike lottery). That's the only thing you can argue against the 805s if you are picky.