JKDAC32 on its way.....possible tour?

Something that might interest you guys - I had a guy around to my house today with a M2tech Young DAC with an outboard power supply (Teddy Pardo). I invited him because there was a HiFi show being held nearby & I wanted to hear the Young DAC. We played my JKDAC32 & his Young DAC. After a couple of hours of listening between the two DACs he left €500 with me & left with the JKDAC32. He said he would post his impressions of how it sounds on his home system of Quad ESL63s & Conrad Johnson tube amplifier. I'll link to it when he does ;)

Edited by jkeny

Something that might interest you guys - I had a guy around to my house today with a M2tech Young DAC with an outboard power supply (Teddy Pardo). I invited him because there was a HiFi show being held nearby & I wanted to hear the Young DAC. We played my JKDAC32 & his Young DAC. After a couple of hours of listening between the two DACs he left €500 with me & left with the JKDAC32. He said he would post his impressions of how it sounds on his home system of Quad ESL63s & Conrad Johnson tube amplifier. I'll link to it when he does ;)

Hi John

Thanks for posting that - I was thinking of getting a Young to try but after hearing that its now a low priority in my DAC journey.

Thanks

Bill

One thing I would ask people to do would be to try ensure that their computer is working well for audio. See this thread I just started http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/40720-Every-Mac-audio-user-should-read-this

As I posted there, I was a bit concerned about this & still am on the JKDAC tour i.e. that people are using the DAC with a computer that is maybe somewhat flawed for audio playback. Despite what some people may think, it is not just the delivery of valid bits that determines the audio playback.

Here's my recommendation to get the best out of a PC configuration & perhaps if people do post their impressions they could say where they differ from this or give their configuration:

Windows 7 (or Windows 8 preview)

Jplay demo from here jplay.eu

an ordinary USB cable, nothing special.

A decent set of interconnect cables to your amp/preamp.

Maybe some knowledgeable in the Mac area could nominate a decent set of parameters? It would appear that the advice on that Mac thread should be followed & at least a "repair permissions" be run on the Mac.

I missed this post on Sunday of the guy who bought my JKDAC32 & compared it to his Young DAC in his home system - here is his very brief summary: http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18424#p18424

It is with great sadness that i announce the retirement of my Yound DAC....sadness over and on to more joyous matters!

I have just listened to Hard Nose the Highway by Van Morrison for the umpteenth time and i have never had such an enjoyable listening experience.

All credit for this goes to the new JKDAC which i picked up from John after the show.

From now on the discussion on digital versus analogue source is not relevant anymore, using Jplay and Johns new DAC with valve amplification and electrostatics ticks all my boxes.

Edited by jkeny

Hi guys, hope this is not an ignorant question, but I have just bought a Squeezebox Touch which I run wirelessly from my PC as the PC is located in a different room to the stereo. I am going to hook the Touch up to my Meridian 518 processor and then to my trusty DPA PDM2 dac and then into the preamp. Is this JKDAC32 a similar stand alone dac like my PDM2, or is the JKADAC something that has to be situated next to a PC and be directly connected to the PC? Still learning about this PC audio stuff!

Hi guys, hope this is not an ignorant question, but I have just bought a Squeezebox Touch which I run wirelessly from my PC as the PC is located in a different room to the stereo. I am going to hook the Touch up to my Meridian 518 processor and then to my trusty DPA PDM2 dac and then into the preamp. Is this JKDAC32 a similar stand alone dac like my PDM2, or is the JKADAC something that has to be situated next to a PC and be directly connected to the PC? Still learning about this PC audio stuff!

It's a DAC with only a USB input, SETfan.

Fully charged it......it now has faint red and green led indicating charge. Will let it play for a few days and give it a listen on the weekend. Sounds different, sounds great so far.

Duckman at top of the list for dac minding duties........any signs yet of the Metrum?

Some interesting information for users of this JKDAC32 that I just discovered which will mean a better sound & full use of 32/384 from USB to DAC output. I posted this on the JKDAC thread but it bears repeating here:

Ah, I just discovered something of interest - use the JKDAC with the M2tech's Young DAC drivers, instead of the Hiface drivers - a big difference in sound. A richer, more laid back & less forward sound - no details missing just presented in a different way. It may be to do with these drivers being 32 bit compared to the Hiface 24bit or it may be the mysteries of software, computers & audio

The next person using this with a PC should compare the two drivers & report what they hear.

The Young DAC driver needs to be installed manually i.e through the control panel & Windows will warn that the driver may not be a correct driver for this hardware - ignore it & continue - it works & it works extremely well.

Some interesting information for users of this JKDAC32 that I just discovered which will mean a better sound & full use of 32/384 from USB to DAC output. I posted this on the JKDAC thread but it bears repeating here:

Interesting indeed. Are the M2tech's Young drivers available simply from their website?

I've been listening to the JKDAC32 for a day or 2, it only has about 20-30hrs on it. I'm using the original 24bit Hiface driver but have just downloaded the Young driver to try :)

There is a marked difference between the orig JKDAC and this one. The newer Dac has a fuller and "gutsier" sound in the mids. treble is silky soft and smooth never bright. The bass isn't as deep or detailed as the Sabre based unit, still fantastic and not lacking though.....perhaps the sabre is overly boosted by comparison?

I find the soundstage not as big or ethereal but more focused and defined.......my speakers don't disappear as well but the image bounces in front of them with startling reality when required.........

Bottom line for me is this Dac32 is far easier to live with and enjoy for long listening periods, far less fatiguing. This one certainly is not "Dry" to my ears........

Cant wait to hear more opinions as it goes around the country.....as it breaks in more.

Wonderful product John, the all in one solution is again fantastic......my toes are tapping :)

thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one naggots. I have the JK Sabre DAC at the moment and find it thoroughly enjoyable to listen to. Unlike others I don't find it 'dry' sounding at all with two other SNA members of the same opinion. My system is transparent enough to reveal subtle differences in source, even playback software so this characteristic should have shown itself I would of thought.

I'm keen to hear the JK DAC32 in my system although I could happily live with the JK Sabre DAC.

Lebowski, everything is system dependent. That's why it's hard to rely on reviews.

It's great that people are willing to send units around for people to try, as it's bound to reveal different experiences on different systems. Gotta love SNA !

I didn't find the first JKDAC dry either. I have all tube pre and power amps tho. This one is definitely meatier ... Dare i say warmer?? but at the expense of a bit of bass and treble detail/extension unless you're seriously listening for it..... It's not as pronounced or forward as the sabre, not a bad thing but just different.

Other people with more resolving systems may like the less analytical sound it offers I suspect....... But then again some love to analyze!!!!

I found the orig JKDAC opened up after a week or so...... So maybe another 20-30 hrs will do the same with this one?

I've been having a few issues with my Mac mini playing thru it. Audio midi says m2tech Hiface is selected ..... But no sound. Turn the dac on and off a few times and eventually it works....... Then works for hrs no problem? Hope the Young driver fixes this. I reinstalled the Hiface driver but made no difference. Never had this issue with the first dac.

thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one naggots. I have the JK Sabre DAC at the moment and find it thoroughly enjoyable to listen to. Unlike others I don't find it 'dry' sounding at all with two other SNA members of the same opinion. My system is transparent enough to reveal subtle differences in source, even playback software so this characteristic should have shown itself I would of thought. I'm keen to hear the JK DAC32 in my system although I could happily live with the JK Sabre DAC.

Hi Lebowski

Interesting, very interesting. I tried it on a number of systems including my own and in every case it was dry. Even had an email from an overseas guy saying the same thing. The only common factor I can think of is they were all solid state. Are you using valves?

Thanks

Bill