Importing CD

I just got here and I've got a few Japanese CD I want... but I never import one before in Singapore. Is there any problem with custom due to censorship?

I also want some of their music videos/concert.. its a Jazz band call T-square and Casiopea, anyone here listen to them?

T-square is the one who played all the music in Japanese's verson of Grand Tourismo 1 and 2 in PS2.

Hi Wen, since you are into Japan press cds, you can try buying from www.cdjapan.co.jp . Their service is damm good. Today received email saying that your parcel was delivered, the next working day i receive it. ;)

yah i been using them.. but i was importing it when i was in Sydney then tried a few times in HK but those country don't give nuts of what u import. I heard SG is quite strict in what is allowed, i fear they will actually review it before releasing it back to me...

or they just let it in?.. as mentioned, its all jazz cd/dvd, nothin prohibited.

Music, musical cd/dvds are not a problem with the authorities here. If unlucky enough to be spot checked and detained by the Customs, you'll asked to go down to the censors board and open the parcel in front of them. Once they see that the contents is indeed non-objectionable, they will just let you take them and go.

Music, musical cd/dvds are not a problem with the authorities here. If unlucky enough to be spot checked and detained by the Customs, you'll asked to go down to the censors board and open the parcel in front of them. Once they see that the contents is indeed non-objectionable, they will just let you take them and go.

thanks.. i was just only looking at the film censorship board's website.. stating all cd/video must get them certified. I guess s'pore wouldnt be so strict esp for items like jazz musical.

well at least if got spotted then they get me go down and open it.. not them opening it and return it like some aged vege :)

I was at the Censorship office about a year ago. If I remember correctly, videos/dvds of classical/jazz music are exempted from censorship. My experience in buying mail order cds/vhs/dvds isthat they only make random checks. Only about 1 in 5 or 6 times do they get stuck at the Censorhip office. You can choose to re-export the item if u do not want the item censored (for VHS). DVDs or cds of course cannot be censored so u just have to mail it out of the country, under the supervision of their staff!

Thanks Transworld...

I was at the Censorship office about a year ago. If I remember correctly, videos/dvds of classical/jazz music are exempted from censorship. My experience in buying mail order cds/vhs/dvds isthat they only make random checks. Only about 1 in 5 or 6 times do they get stuck at the Censorhip office. You can choose to re-export the item if u do not want the item censored (for VHS). DVDs or cds of course cannot be censored so u just have to mail it out of the country, under the supervision of their staff!

So will they notify u before they mail it out? This is just a curious question since my jazz stuff will never have problems. But back to the question, i am sure they will notify u, maybe let u choose a country/city that u want it to be mail out ?

I forgot to ask... how about tax? will they start taxing u when its over a certain value?

So will they notify u before they mail it out? This is just a curious question since my jazz stuff will never have problems. But back to the question, i am sure they will notify u, maybe let u choose a country/city that u want it to be mail out ?

I forgot to ask... how about tax? will they start taxing u when its over a certain value?

You actually have to accompanying their staff to the nearest post office and mail the parcel containing the banned video material to a destination of your choice in their presence.

Customs will detain the parcel if its content is declared to be worth more than $400 and you would be asked to go to the Customs Office at the Singapore Post Centre next to the Paya Lebar MRT Station to pay GST on the declared value before they release it to you.

Normally to re-export, I mail them to my friend in JB, who will try to bring the thing in again! Of course these are music stuff and nothin RA so the most my friend kena is stopped by custom, and surrender discs to them. ;D

If they are music stuff, why would they need to be re-exported in the first place?

If they are music stuff, why would they need to be re-exported in the first place?

Thats what I asked the CB pple. They are just biased against rock music I presume cos the video I had have a pic of a fan lying on the road, drunk. Only classical or jazz stuff have no problem

Thats what I asked the CB pple. They are just biased against rock music I presume cos the video I had have a pic of a fan lying on the road, drunk. Only classical or jazz stuff have no problem

Could also be because the dvd contained songs that were banned for objectionable lyrics maybe.