STATE: VIC - Nirvana Sound Brazilian Jazz Evening Hosted by Russell Berg 15th October 2021

Ever wondered what Brazilian Jazz is all about? Most of us have heard “The Girl from Ipanema” in a lift or lobby or two but is this all there is to the genre? Why not ask someone who has been part of the ‘scene’ and played live with some of the best-known musicians of the art form?

Nirvana Sound has the privilege of sharing this experience and knowledge with our community of music and audio lovers.

Russell Berg a well-respected Jazz Flautist has played at Ronny Scotts in London with musicians such as Carlos Jobim & Flora Purim. Now residing in Melbourne with his lovely partner Annie, he can often be seen at various jazz venues around town. We thought he could tap into his voluminous Brazilian Jazz archive to share some of his favourite performances on LP and digital on our Reference System in Room 1. This promises to be both educational, entertaining and musically rewarding.

Nirvana Sound would like to invite you to personally attend our East Bentleigh showroom for a relaxed evening of refreshments, followed by a wonderful Brazilian Jazz musical journey. Seating is strictly limited to 12 people and we will be listening to our Reference system which consists of Ypsilon amplification, Stage III cabling and the incredible Wilson Benesch Eminence loudspeakers.

Nirvana Sound Brazilian Jazz Evening hosted by Russell Berg

Friday 16th July 2021
6pm Refreshments, 7pm -9pm Music.

Please call Mark on 0410 344 938 or contact info@nirvanasound.com to book your seat.

https://nirvanasound.com/brazilian-jazz-evening-hosted-by-russell-berg/

Edited by Nirvana Sound
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

If I didn't have something else on this night, I would be there in a heartbeat.

For whoever goes, sounds like it's going to be a great opportunity to listen to some great equipment and good music at the same time.  What more could you want? :)

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I hope that all is well with you. As you may be aware Victoria is experiencing some community uncertainty over recent COVID infections occurring in local areas.

As of Thursday 15th July (today), the requirements are that facemasks are to be worn indoors at event where you cannot maintain a distance of at least 1.5meters from all others unless eating or drinking.

Our planned event for Friday 16th July was fully booked and we understand all of you were super keen to attend. We had planned some wonderful Brazilian finger foods and beverages to accompany the event which would have added to a wonderful evening.

Our desire to create the most comfortable and relaxed deep listening environment for all is paramount and previous evenings have enjoyed the freedom of being able to sit back and enjoy a good listening position and the camaraderie that ensues among friends (both new and old).

We feel that this experience will be affected somewhat by the need to observe the currently mandated health protections.

We have made what we feel is the best decision (considering the circumstances) and rescheduled the event to a time when the COVID settings have officially eased (hopefully in a week or so).

Russell Berg and his partner Annie share their disappointment at missing tomorrow’s event but are keen to meet everyone in the future. We are looking at a suitable Friday evening in the next few weeks as and when the COVID settings are altered.  We hope that you can all join us for the eagerly anticipated musical journey at that time and will reach out to you all to confirm your availability.

Thank you for your understanding and perhaps you can enjoy some wonderful music in the comfort of your own home tomorrow evening.

Russell suggested Bebel Gilberto – Aganju as a good place to kick off a quiet evening with a glass of wine in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puC52UCh7b4

George, Jim, Sophie and Anthony from the team at Nirvana Sound look forward to welcoming you again soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Hey all,

It's been a loooooooong time coming, but finally this event happened.  It was a full house turnout and it was great to hear a wide variety of Brazilian jazz music (some I would say borderline on experimental and meld into other genres too).  Jorge Albuquerque (a talented Brazilian Jazz Bass Player) also came along and shared a very local Brazilian perspective and I thoroughly enjoyed the broad knowledge and passion he expressed.  I learned a lot on the night.  Hearing Russell's stories was fascinating, as he is clearly very close to the industry and seems to know so many people!

Equipment was as described by Nirvana Sound in the OP. What wasn't mentioned was a Koetsu Blue Lace Onyx Platinum cartridge running in - you don't see this stuff every day!  I think this may be the hint of some sort of Koetsu demonstration I would love to join later on in the year ;).

Just took a couple of photos and thought I would share them with you.  Thanks @Nirvana Sound for hosting the get together - I have now enjoyed two GTGs in the space of one week and I am loving the people I meet and sense of  community which I missed during COVID lockdowns.

IMG_8283.thumb.JPG.23fa27eac638b7af2f2d2bc3e7feeee3.JPGIMG_8281.thumb.JPG.ba4e9cc4a71cf1b6b0bdcb8f619fea19.JPGIMG_8284.thumb.jpg.4e38da978307562f73e2cae0be0b9ba2.jpgIMG_8282.thumb.JPG.0adb1e0a2f3a50d37cb78070bb421950.JPGIMG_8280.thumb.JPG.ac9b749589db9a98c3ae9e622f9fc547.JPG

• Like 3

Hi Everyone,

Yes it finally happened. We had a wonderful night exploring music and anecdotes from Russell about life at Ronnie Scott's jazz club in London over many decades. If you can't be there in person then hearing about it from a regular made for entertaining interludes between the music selections.

We enjoyed the sounds presented via  Aesthetix Romulus Signature CD / DAC player and the Aesthetix Rhea Signature Phonostage. Both these sources were connected with Stage III Typhon RCA to the Ypsilon PST100 MKII Silver Preamp into Hyperion Poweramps. Stage III Triton/Trident/Aegir Power Cables and Wilson Benesch Eminence Loudspeakers as reference transducers. Analog source Reed Muse 1C with Reed 2G Cocobolo 10.5 Silver AG tonearm. We cracked open a new Koetsu Blue Lace for the evening to get some hours up for the Koetsu Shootout night (coming up when the next free slot opens).

I genuinely felt the attendees were treated to something new as the Shazam buttons were being madly pressed to capture the artists for further exploration.

Most of us have heard Hugh Masekela at hifi shows. I for one wasn't aware he was into the Brazilian Jazz scene. Jorge Albuquerque also demonstrated the differences between a native Brazilian drummer playing a Samba on a 2/4 beat and most western Jazz drummers when they start playing Brazilian Jazz coming from a 4/4 upbringing having to adapt. Russell then threw in a very complex interpretation of a Brazilian Jazz classic which showed off a 6/8 beat and the talent of the musicians being able to keep time with such complex multi-layering of instruments was very impressive. I kind of noticed from the glint in Russell's eyes that he knew a bunch more about the music and we were given only a taste of the genre. He later remarked he held back a little from the deeper roots of the music as the complexity of rhythm rises as the village joins in with more and more percussive devices (it seems if you have the ability any bit of percussive architecture can be engaged to add another layer to the sound).

Thanks to Russell and his partner Annie who is as passionate about live music as Russell is and were gracious in giving their time.

Also huge thanks for Jorge Albuquerque lending his Brazilian music and life experience to the night. We only explored the Rio neighbourhood but apparently whichever cardinal direction you follow the music lines will diverge into Salsa, Bossa, Bossa Nova, Capoeira, Maracatu, Candomble Afoxe, and apparently if you head a bit north of Rio a strange blend of Country and Western from the cowboy culture which shows there are only two forms of music...................................

I'm known for enjoying blues and minor key indie styles (shoegazers) and what struck me was the "joy and happiness" in the singers and musicians. The enthusiasm and fun the musicians displayed made me think of why would they all be so happy?

I for one couldn't think of a reason why 🙂

12 Brazilians Walking Bright Beach Scene Rio De Janeiro Brazil Stock  Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

https://www.skyscanner.com.au/routes/mela/rioa/melbourne-to-rio-de-janeiro.html

We might have to get Jorge in for a live night of Brazilian Jazz guitar!!

Edited by Mark Doehmann
  • Like 4

@qik_shift nice write up of the night, and great to meet you and chat, relatively quietly during the music l might add ! 😉

@Mark Doehmann

Thanks for your impeccable hospitality, and it was indeed a very warm and friendly vibe on the night  - coupled with a musical experience that heightened the senses!

The system was exemplary and 

Brazilian music certainly has it's own sense of uplifting energy, and after listening and talking with Jorge, Russell and Annie, - one l will be investigating further.

I came away with a sense of newfound discovery, and having made new friends - which is something that has been largely missing in the last few years ! 😊

• Like 3