Chromecast to projector

Hi All.

Just got the Disney + service today and can't believe how hard it is to make it work. I didn't think all my gear was that old.  I have Panasonic Plasma (second last model), Panasonic bluray recorder (BWT955) and a Yamaha bluray (BDS673). Also a Gen 3 apple TV, IPad 4 and Telstra Roku box. None will allow Disney+ to display on the TV or Epson TW9300W projector.

As far as I can work out I could put a Google Chromecast into the TV and send Disney from my android phone to the TV.

1. Does anyone know if this will actually work?

2. Is there any way I can get the phone image to the projector and the sound to the Marantz AV receiver (SR6001 - yes I know it's old but it works)?

The projector has HDMI inputs and a USB, but it says the USB is only for updating firmware or connecting to the wireless module.  I haven't tried the wireless module yet, preferring a good cable until now and don't know how good the Epson wireless system is. I'd prefer not to rewire everything if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Fletch02

Thanks Figjam. Remembered we had cheap Sony blur at I bought last year for an outside tv. I plugged that in and could send the phone image to it, but buffering was terrible on NBN 25 MBS. Maybe that's what we're in for while everyone has to stay home for a while.

My primary suspicion here is Chromecast is not the way. It's a Google and Android device and you're attempting to stream Disney content, which typically has Apple device affiliation, from my knowledge. A Chromecast will send either your screen, subject to copyright content, or a Google app specifically, such as YouTube. 

Therefore I'd suggest using your Apple TV. It has HDMI to run straight into your TV. 

Then use the optical audio out and feed it into your AV receiver. 

appletv seems obvious choice here would think. as have one ? can the gen 3 not do disney ? sorry i only use day to day current apple TV 4k and the previous version. both of which have disney apps. presume you have tried doing airplay ? or does that also not work with the gen 3 ? 

10 hours ago, Neilsy said:

My primary suspicion here is Chromecast is not the way. It's a Google and Android device and you're attempting to stream Disney content, which typically has Apple device affiliation, from my knowledge. A Chromecast will send either your screen, subject to copyright content, or a Google app specifically, such as YouTube. 

According to this  https://www.finder.com.au/watch-disney-plus-chromecast   the Disney+ app supports chromecast natively the same way as Netflix, Prime, and Stan.

On 26/03/2020 at 9:27 PM, Fletch02 said:

I plugged that in and could send the phone image to it, but buffering was terrible

With chromecast most apps support direct use of chromecast.  This offloads the job of streaming to the chromecast device, which does it directly, not via the phone - the phone is only used to choose the show you wish to watch.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately the Gen 3 ipad has iOS 10.3 and Disney + only works with iOS 11 .0. I suppose the next question is can you update the operating software, but being apple, I assume not.

Will android communicate with the apple TV? I thought Android and Apple were not compatible at all.

Today I found a little wifi Anycast dongle that I don't remember buying. Plugged that into the TV directly and can mirror the phone screen to that.

Geez the tech life has got complicated.

Cheers.

Fletch

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fletch02 said:

Will android communicate with the apple TV?

Why would you want to?

The chromecast will do what you want.

6 minutes ago, Fletch02 said:

mirror the phone screen to that.

You have to get past this screen mirroring thing.  Casting direct to the chromecast from the app, hands off all the buffering and streaming to the chromecast itself, and avoids the bottleneck of the phone.

Thanks Aussie Vintage.

Therein lay the problem. I thought all Chromecast did was send stuff from your phone to the TV (screen mirroring). The fact that it is the actual streamer now it all makes sense and I'm over the screen mirroring thing.

Cheers.