Pro-ject Rpm 9: Ground Wire Or...?

Hi everyone.

Today, I bought the RPM 9. I connected it to my Musical Fidelity A5 preamp phono stage (I'm just settling in Australia so there's no dedicated phono preamp yet). It came with the Pro-Ject badged Goldring 1006. When I turned it on and tried to turn the volume up I felt electricity on my preamp volume knob... I didn't know what was going on but when I stopped the turntable and I touched the tonearm I heard the sound in my speakers. It sounded like a loud crack. I didn't feel electricity now but I have a feeling that it has to do something with the circuit. I felt it on the volume knob again though...

Ground wire is not connected. Does this have anything to do with it? Can you suggest any help?

Thank you.

You been asking in a couple of places? :wub:

I can't see how it would be the ground wire, that's normally used to reduce hum. You should get a decent answer either here or on the Vinyl Engine, they know way too much about turntables over there.

For what it's worth the only thing I can think of is static in the air. It occasionally happens although depends on the climate. It's the reason why you see computer repairers wearing those things around their wrists to ground themselves. If you are in a dry climate or even have the heater on all day which dries the air this can happen. Don't know if anyone else has another explanation but this is all I can think of.

BTW, welcome, nice to see another vinylphile.

DS

You been asking in a couple of places? :wub:

I can't see how it would be the ground wire, that's normally used to reduce hum. You should get a decent answer either here or on the Vinyl Engine, they know way too much about turntables over there.

For what it's worth the only thing I can think of is static in the air. It occasionally happens although depends on the climate. It's the reason why you see computer repairers wearing those things around their wrists to ground themselves. If you are in a dry climate or even have the heater on all day which dries the air this can happen. Don't know if anyone else has another explanation but this is all I can think of.

BTW, welcome, nice to see another vinylphile.

DS[/b]

You shall know them by the trail of John Fahey song titles... :biggrin:

Yes! I'm still waiting for an answer though. But in the meantime I came to realize that it probably was static before because it doesn't do it anymore...

Thank you.

Hi everyone.

Today, I bought the RPM 9. I connected it to my Musical Fidelity A5 preamp phono stage (I'm just settling in Australia so there's no dedicated phono preamp yet). It came with the Pro-Ject badged Goldring 1006. When I turned it on and tried to turn the volume up I felt electricity on my preamp volume knob... I didn't know what was going on but when I stopped the turntable and I touched the tonearm I heard the sound in my speakers. It sounded like a loud crack. I didn't feel electricity now but I have a feeling that it has to do something with the circuit. I felt it on the volume knob again though...

Ground wire is not connected. Does this have anything to do with it? Can you suggest any help?

Thank you.[/b]

Firstly be vary careful if you can feel electricity , Possible Danger, There could be a wiring problem, Connect the ground wire

And check with a multimeter how much voltage is around the place , If You don't understand the procedure get some help.

Welcome , Hope that You are around for a while

Moondog

Welcome from me too.

I too had a static problem awhile ago and got quite strong zapps when I touched the open/close button on the CD player. It lasted for a couple of days, but just stopped .

You could try unplugging the TT and see if you still get zapped when touching another component.

Thank you for any help in this metter...

Firstly be vary careful if you can feel electricity , Possible Danger, There could be a wiring problem, Connect the ground wire

And check with a multimeter how much voltage is around the place , If You don't understand the procedure get some help.

Welcome , Hope that You are around for a while

Moondog[/b]

By ground wire, do you mean the earth connection that's at the back of the turntable and pre-amp? If so, then at the moment I don't have anything connected to this. What do you suggest I do? I just played it and I got zapped again. But when I touch the head shell on the tonearm, you can hear a humming sound. Also, when I play the turntable, there's a lot more oscillation than when the CD player is operating. HELP!!!! :wub:

Welcome from me too.

I too had a static problem awhile ago and got quite strong zapps when I touched the open/close button on the CD player. It lasted for a couple of days, but just stopped .

You could try unplugging the TT and see if you still get zapped when touching another component.[/b]

I tried unplugging the TT and playing the CD player, but again, when I touched the volume control on the pre-amp, I got zapped. HELP!!!! :)