Elite Rock Townshend

I have one  since new  in 1984.  With their dedicated arm and a Denon 103 mm cart. Looks great ,goes well.  I sounded out  the Vintage TT store in King St Newtown. He'd never heard of it!  Anyone have any idea how much these are worth these days?

Thanks Wimbo. Yes surprised me too, although it was a young voice on the phone. He said he 

'd getback to me. ( hasn't yet) When i said make sure the  name Townshend has an "h" in it , he kind of gave me short shrift and hung up. Perhaps he thought i was a nutter. But if your'e running a vintage turntable shop ,  dealing with nutters would be par for the course , wouldn't it? ?  Yes the Rock has given me much pleasure for the best part of 40 trouble -free years, but I'm in my mid -70s now and need to simplify my life. 

It was considered one of the best tables at the time. It means it's still a very good table. Clean it up, take some good pics of it & sell it privately s/b worth $1.5-2k I would think if everything, incl motor are in good shape.

FYI hifishark.com is always a good site to get a current selling price from.

Edited by shawnwes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shawnwes said:

It was considered one of the best tables at the time. It means it's still a very good table. Clean it up, take some good pics of it & sell it privately s/b worth $1.5-2k I would think if everything, incl motor are in good shape.

FYI hifishark.com is always a good site to get a current selling price from.

Thank you shawnees.  I'll follow up on this. It would include a Denon 103 R  MC Cart . !0 years  old but hardly any use...100 hrs maybe. Thats right!  10 hours a year ! Heresy, I know,  to say this on a turntable  forum , but digital is just easier for me.

1 hour ago, Graceman said:

Great turntables - I use mine most days!  I have an Origin Live modded RB300 on mine and (at present) an Empire 600LAC.  Never spilt a drop of fluid or had any other problems.

Love it!

Good to hear Graceman. MIne got a lot of use from 1983/4 for around 5 years...then ashamed to say digital sort of took over. In those days I was using a Grace f9e and then an Audio Tech ATC9 ( Townshend Excalibur Arm). I saw a Denon 103 R whilst in Japan. Couldn't resist. Nice cart...but that old ATC9....wow.

Quoting from the "Cheap Isolation fix - Vast Improvement" thread on the General HiFi forum.  Slightly off-topic- a presentation by Max Townshend, who probably designed your Townshend turntable. 

On 15/02/2020 at 9:55 PM, Aperalim said:

Q.1 Ethafoam (open cell foamed polyethylene)

Q.2 

The original Rock was designed as a joint exercise by Max and the Cranfeild institute of technology. It looked gorgeous and nothing like the Rock most of us recognise save for the trough. The Cranfeild Rock was too expensive to produce so the important elements were distilled down to the 'Black Rock" over time. First pic is one of the prototypes , second the first retail version and 3rd the Black Rock.

Cranfield Rock Prototype.jpg

85a136eca0465bdc444115ba059fb67e.jpg

download.jpg

Edited by Ozcall
  • Like 2

I was looking for one of these for ages having heard one a few years back. I like the idea of the damping trough having used a Well tempered classic for the past 5 years.

It has some great reviews out there and would make a new owner very happy.

21 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Quoting from the "Cheap Isolation fix - Vast Improvement" thread on the General HiFi forum.  Slightly off-topic- a presentation by Max Townshend, who probably designed your Townshend turntable. 

Yes, Audiofeline,  Max Townshend designed the original Rock

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

I was looking for one of these for ages having heard one a few years back. I like the idea of the damping trough having used a Well tempered classic for the past 5 years.

It has some great reviews out there and would make a new owner very happy.

Hi Topself. I really shouldn't be using this forum as a "market feeler"  I'll be moving over to classifieds shortly

Rock01.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ozcall said:

The original Rock was designed as a joint exercise by Max and the Cranfeild institute of technology. It looked gorgeous and nothing like the Rock most of us recognise save for the trough. The Cranfeild Rock was too expensive to produce so the important elements were distilled down to the 'Black Rock" over time. First pic is one of the prototypes , second the first retail version and 3rd the Black Rock.

Cranfield Rock Prototype.jpg

85a136eca0465bdc444115ba059fb67e.jpg

download.jpg

Yep, Ozcall, that's mine at the bottom.  Interesting pics . Thanks!

1 hour ago, bevwil said:

Hi Topself. I really shouldn't be using this forum as a "market feeler"  I'll be moving over to classifieds shortly

Rock01.jpg

If I hadn't bought a Well tempered Amadeus last week you would have read a P.M. from me by now!.... 

• Like 1

I also have a Townshend 'Avalon' which was known as the baby Rock.  It was cheaper as it used a less complex manufacturing process but retained the damping trough and was supplied with an RB300.  It gives about 85% of the performance but was easier on the wallet!  I fitted an Origin Live DC motor and controller which was a step up in performance.  

I must look it out as I don't have space for both of them.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I have just got back from holidays.

Yes, I have had my rock since 86 when I bought it new in Glasgow fro some guy who builds PU7 tonearms now.

If the OP wants to move it on and it has the original Excalibur arm, I would be asking around 3k, more if it has the external Merlin power supply.

I would buy the Excalibur if in good condition for 1k. maybe 400 for the Merlin too.

• Like 1