Subs for my new setup. Advice needed!

Hi guys,

Newbie to the 5.1 home theater speakers scene.

I've auditioned about 2-3 speakers for my price range (5k-ish -inclusive of speakers,cables,sub,amp etc) and am about to commit to this setup:

IMGUR.COM

Post with 1 views.

However I've read about SVS PB-2000 subs and since they're on sale now ($1225), I was wondering would it be wise to replace the Krix Seismix 3 MK7 (Not sure what the difference is with MK6)) with the SVS PB 2000 sub. Also would it blend well with the rest of the speakers.

Thanks!

Edited by bossnass15

From the specs alone the SVS PB-2000 is superior.

The reality of the situation is as a newbie, you will be happy with either BUT I will tell you this; your room and seating position will make the biggest difference and there's no way to predict until you try them at home.

I've listened to premium 12" subs that had awesome bass just 1m behind me and a cheap ass 8" that sounded way better where I was sitting.

I would go SVS from the specs and cabinet design.

On 26/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, rayone said:

I would go SVS from the specs

agreed

the SVS has a bigger amp (300W for the Krix vs 500W for the SVS) - I can't find details of either regarding driver Xmax (excursion) etc, both have 2" voice coils, although the SVS does have details on their driver such as shorting rings - the Krix possibly has these also (most modern sub drivers do).

If each driver has similar sensitivity (which is not a given without detailed specs), then the additional power of the SVS is worthwhile to provide some headroom when volumes get cranked.

On 26/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, rayone said:

The reality of the situation is as a newbie, you will be happy with either BUT I will tell you this; your room and seating position will make the biggest difference and there's no way to predict until you try them at home.

I will add to this the position of your sub - which was implied in @rayone's post - you need to place the sub in the room to get the smoothest bass at the listening position.

Best done with a measurement mic, but you can try it by ear...subs can be placed anywhere in the room as long as they're crossed over low enough (say 80Hz or below), and have low distortion - meet these 2 criteria and your ears won't be able to "locate" the sub - it will just add weight and depth to your main speakers.

...The easiest way to try multiple spots quickly is to place the sub where your ears would be in the listening position, and put the mic or your ears in each likely spot the sub would go - seeking out "moderate" low bass - not boomy, and not a bass "suckout" - much easier with a laptop, free software such as REW and a measurement microphone - such as a UMik: 

WWW.MINIDSP.COM

The UMIK-1 is an omni-directional USB measurement calibrated microphone providing Plug & Play acoustic measurement. From speaker & room acoustic measurement to recording, this...

cheers

Mike

Edited by almikel