FS: Linkwitz LX521.4 System RELIST & PRICE REDUCED

FS: Linkwitz LX521.4 System PRICE REDUCED

Location: Charlestown Lake Macquarie (just south of Newcastle)

Condition: As new

Reason For Selling: Still Need the money ?

What are they Like: I thought my original OB’s were great (which I still have) but they have been downgraded to good now I’ve listened to these for a while, these are great. There is only one way to be sure, come and listen.

Price: $9,900.00 ONO Pickup Only,  audition first.  Bank Transfer  $120 donation to SNA

Warranty: I don’t do this for money but I do have a lot of pride at stake so I am willing (as I have been with other sales) to give a 2-year limited warranty. I will pay the first $200 for any defective components (as long as there not cooked by lighting etc) and labour is free. But you will need to get the item back to me for repair and pick it up when it’s ready. I built my sister a system (she only paid for the components at cost no labour of course) one power supply and one-amp module was fried by lighting, as noted that sort of problem isn’t covered ? After the 2 years I will help with the repair if required.

Amplifiers

·         2 x 5 Channel 300w Icepower amps, using 10 x AS Series Modules

·         Key Specifications

o   300W at 1% THD+N, 4Ohm

o   260W at 0.1% THD+N, 4Ohm

o   Full power bandwidth (20Hz – 20kHz)

o   113dBA dynamic range (300W, 4Ohm)

o   THD+N = 0.005% (1W, 4Ohm)

o   Audio input impedance 47kOhm

o   High output current limit = 20Ap

o   Low output impedance = 6mOhm

o   Damping factor = 660, 4Ohm

o   Thermal Protection

o   Over current and short circuit protection

o   DC output protection

o   DC servo for low DC offset

·         Used silver coated copper wiring for Input signal wiring and places I probably shouldn’t have bothered ?

·         High-quality gold-plated RCA Inputs

·         High-quality silver-plated speaker terminals

·         12v Triggers, this has been setup for my DAC to control sequenced ON-OFF, but can be changed if necessary to suit your system (probably ?).

·         Custom crafted cases with Mackay Cedar (Red Sirus) trims, you won’t buy this in the shop.

·         High-quality IEC Power Inputs are filtered and fused on both Active & Neutral

·         Amp modules are also fused & EMI filtered

·         Green LED for ON-OFF

·         Red LED for Fault signal

·         The cases are constructed of high-quality plywood, veneered with fiberglass internally & carbon fibre externally, sprayed with texture coat and cover coated with automotive lacquer.

ASP.4

·         1 x 10 Channel Active Crossover

·         Mako ASP.4 Boards

·         Using all recommended components

·         Used silver coated copper wiring for Input-Output signal wiring

·         High-quality gold-plated RCA Inputs

·         12v trigger input, this has been setup for my DAC to control sequenced ON-OFF, but can be changed if necessary to suit your system (probably ?).

·         Custom crafted cases with Mackay Cedar (Red Sirus) trims.

·         High-quality IEC Power Input is filtered and fused on both Active & Neutral

·         High-quality linear PSU using Twisted Pear Board

·         The case is constructed of high-quality plywood, veneered with fiberglass internally & carbon fibre externally, sprayed with texture coat and cover coated with automotive lacquer.

·         http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Supplies.htm

Speaker Cables

·         2 Sets Custom Crafted 3m Cables

·         2 x 4 Pin 3m cables

·         2 x 6 Pin 3m cables

·         Van damme Black Series Tour Grade UPOFC Classic Pro Speaker Multicore 2.5mm ANTI KINK CORETECH cable

·         High-quality gold-plated connectors, everything is soldered together

·         Custom crafted Mackay Cedar Plugs & Sockets, the connectors are imbedded in resin.

·         To be honest I’m amazed how well these worked out, MANY hours of work in these.

Speakers 2 x LX521.4

·         4x Seas 27TFFNC/G (H1396) 1" Textile Dome Tweeter

·         2x Seas MU10RB-SL (H1658-04) 4" Curv Cone Upper Midrange

·         2x Seas U22REX/P-SL (H1659-08) 8" Curv Cone Lower Midrange

·         4x Seas L26RO4Y (D1004-04) 10" Aluminum Cone Woofer

·         I purchased the design documents directly from Siegfried Linkwitz and faithfully followed the design intent.

·         The Top Baffles and the Woofer Bridges are made from waterproof plywood veneered with custom cut Mackay Cedar. The veneers are approximately 1.2mm thick

·         The Top Baffles and the Woofer Bridges have been sprayed with shellac and overcoated with very tough water-based finish. The shellac under helps with the appearance and brings the best out in the wood.

·         The Woofer Boxes are made from Water Resistant MDF an sprayed with Duratex texture finish, this is also a very tough water-based finish.

ELECTRICAL DISCLAIMER
This product has not been manufactured by a qualified individual or company, therefore contains electrical circuits that do not necessarily comply with Australian Standards. I understand that as the seller, I may be liable to repercussions in the event of equipment failure. By advertising and selling this product, as the seller I also agree that I am solely liable, and the publisher of this website takes no responsibility for any injury or death resulting from, whether directly or indirectly, any accident that may happen as a result of the failure of the product being sold. If in doubt, seek the services of a qualified electrician to inspect the product to ensure it is safe for use.

Photos:

1 Amp Front Cropped.JPG

2 Amp Front Cropped.JPG

3 Amp Rear 1.JPG

3 Amp Rear 2.JPG

4 Amp Rear 3.JPG

5 Amp Top .JPG

6 Front XO.JPG

7 ASP Fornt Side .JPG

8 ASP Top Rear Silk Cropped.JPG

9 4 Pin Cable 1.JPG

10 4 Pin Cable 2.JPG

11 6 Pin Cable 1.JPG

12 6 Pin Cable 2.JPG

13 Speaker Front Silk 2.JPG

14 Front Side Silk.JPG

15 Back Silk 2.JPG

16 Back Side Silk.JPG

17 Speaker Woofer Rear.JPG

18 Plug-Socket Cropped.JPG

19 Bottom Sockets 2.JPG

20 Top Socket 1.JPG

22 Top Socket 2.JPG

Whole System.JPG

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sfdoddsy said:

It certainly is. Unfortunately when I showed my wife the pics there was an emphatic shake of the head.

:)

With all due respect......what does she know? Oh yeah.....budgeting!??

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, stevoz said:

With all due respect......what does she know? Oh yeah.....budgeting!??

It’s not so much the budget (although there is that too), but when I showed her the pics and the drool from subsequent posters she shook her head like we are all insane.

She’s undoubtedly right.

But equally undoubtedly, these will be sonically the best speakers for the price currently on Stereonet.

I’ve just rebuilt and refired-up my Linkwitz-inspired open baffles in my semi-dedicated Lair (they aren’t allowed down in the public living room).

I’d almost forgotten just how unique a good OB sounds. 

The box speakers I’ve been flirting with all sound very good, but they also sound very similar except for bass extension.

A good dynamic dipole has the dynamics and accuracy of a well-designed box speaker, but adds naturalness and spaciousness no box speaker can match.

I recently read a review on Stereophile of a $200,000 speaker which cost cost that because of the overkill required to bludgeon drivers in a box into shape.

A smarter way is to have no box.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kinds words :)

" How do they do with EDM music? " No idea but it seems hard to believe they wouldn't do a good job, I listen to classical music mostly.

" @sfdoddsy - its time..... " I agree :)

Edited by DQ828

How will they sound with EDM?

I don’t listen to EDM (although my wife does), but I do listen to lots of reggae and have a weakness for organ music at high volumes.

I’m a bass nut.

And that’s one of the reasons I’m such a fan of open baffles.

Dipole bass usually has much less room interaction than sealed/ported bass. You start with what you get after EQ with sealed subs.

The LX521s will plum the depths of EDM. It may feel like there is less ‘oomph’ than you are used to. But that is accuracy.

If you need to feel the in-your-gut bass thump, you’d want to add sealed subs below 40hz.

I had a pair of Rythmik F12s with my Orions which worked brilliantly, but if I’m honest the single Velodyne HGS worked just as well. 

I don’t think there is any ‘full range’ speaker which isn’t improved by a proper sub.

On 24/10/2019 at 1:04 AM, BenBenBen said:

Oh wow - these are stunning and I imaging should sound amazing.

Any ideas how many hours went into designing and building? Or is that something you just don't want to add up?

No idea and that's a good thing :)