Panasonic 2019 OLEDs

• Volunteer
On 29/08/2019 at 7:30 PM, Ralfi said:

Thought so.

What are your thoughts on the TV, Kazz?!

Yes it was too good a deal to pass up.

Unfortunately my Dad passed away a couple of days after I picked the TV up, so it didn't go up on the wall for a couple of weeks and I haven't had time to re cable my setup to run my UB9000 into it (it's only running to the PJ for video at the moment).

It's handling FTA/Foxtel/Netflix quite well and we've watched some 1080p from the Oppo 103d which looks great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 65GZ1000 at the JB Hifi sale. It's my first OLED after years of Samsung LCD/plasmas and most recently a Sony 65 inch 850A series LCD.

The picture is gorgeous. Inky blacks. The improvement for me is dramatic.   I only bought it for general viewing as I have a JVC 5900 projector for movies. But I find myself mostly watching the OLED now (except for big blockbuster movies with the subs pumping etc).

It will be very hard for me to go back to a non-OLED tv now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/08/2019 at 10:26 AM, Ralfi said:

Hey Ray. Yeah I’m loving the natural picture the GZ series produces. The are a lot of settings options for people who like to tinker with them though. I just leave it on THX Cinema myself.

I’m yet to test it for gaming, but it handles movies & sport very well - UHD BD’s are what it craves of course, but Foxtel’s 4K sports channel looks pretty amazing.

The remote is of high quality too, though my Harmony’s ‘learnt’ all the necessary commands from it, so I won’t make use of it myself. 

I have also purchased the TH-65GZ1000U and find the picture quality amazing.  

I was curious about your mention of the remote and how you have configured your Harmony remote to perform all of the commands. I have a Harmony Elite and the one thing I cannot get the remote to do,  is change from an AV Input (i.e. HDMI1) to the Digital TV input. It refuses to change the input when I use the TV Activity on the remote. Interestingly when I configured the activity it had multiple DVB inputs ( DVB-S, DVB-C, DVB-T and DVB-via-IP), none of them work. I have to keep using the the TV remote to change the input. Even using the Help function on the remote does not work. 

So was wondering whether you experienced the same issue or not.

Very Frustrating.

Other equipment being used:

Apple TV 4K

Denon AVR-X4400H receiver

Foxtel IQ3

Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Player

VAF Signature speakers

Also, do you recommend getting the Foxtel IQ4 over the IQ3 for 4K Input?

Regards Phil

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Phil McDuie said:

I have also purchased the TH-65GZ1000U and find the picture quality amazing.  

I was curious about your mention of the remote and how you have configured your Harmony remote to perform all of the commands. I have a Harmony Elite and the one thing I cannot get the remote to do,  is change from an AV Input (i.e. HDMI1) to the Digital TV input. It refuses to change the input when I use the TV Activity on the remote. Interestingly when I configured the activity it had multiple DVB inputs ( DVB-S, DVB-C, DVB-T and DVB-via-IP), none of them work. I have to keep using the the TV remote to change the input. Even using the Help function on the remote does not work. 

So was wondering whether you experienced the same issue or not.

Very Frustrating.

Other equipment being used:

Apple TV 4K

Denon AVR-X4400H receiver

Foxtel IQ3

Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Player

VAF Signature speakers

Also, do you recommend getting the Foxtel IQ4 over the IQ3 for 4K Input?

Regards Phil

Hi Phil.

I don’t use my TV input at all, so can’t say why it’s not working for you. Have you tried getting the Harmony remote to ‘learn’ the TV input command?

My IQ4 handles all the FTA channels I need, so I just use the TV’s HDMI inputs (via the AVR); HDMI 2 for IQ4, ATV4K, PS4 & Netflix from the TV’s inbuilt App (using ARC on HDMI 2)...& HDMI 1 for the UB820 video only.

I went from the IQ2 to the IQ4 & prefer it for sure. There’s only one 4K channel in my package (Sport) & it looks stunning on this TV, despite the fact Foxtel have made it look better than the HD channels by reducing their bandwidth...

If you have a satellite Foxtel connection, then the IQ4’s the best box you can get. I waited for a free upgrade promotion & jumped on.

1 hour ago, Ralfi said:

Hi Phil.

I don’t use my TV input at all, so can’t say why it’s not working for you. Have you tried getting the Harmony remote to ‘learn’ the TV input command?

My IQ4 handles all the FTA channels I need, so I just use the TV’s HDMI inputs (via the AVR); HDMI 2 for IQ4, ATV4K, PS4 & Netflix from the TV’s inbuilt App (using ARC on HDMI 2)...& HDMI 1 for the UB820 video only.

I went from the IQ2 to the IQ4 & prefer it for sure. There’s only one 4K channel in my package (Sport) & it looks stunning on this TV, despite the fact Foxtel have made it look better than the HD channels by reducing their bandwidth...

If you have a satellite Foxtel connection, then the IQ4’s the best box you can get. I waited for a free upgrade promotion & jumped on.

Hi Ralfi

Thanks for your quick response, much appreciated.

I did get the Harmony remote to learn the TV input command, but made no difference.

I think I may go down the path of using Foxtel for the FTA channels as well, after upgrading to the IQ4.

1 hour ago, Phil McDuie said:

I think I may go down the path of using Foxtel for the FTA channels as well, after upgrading to the IQ4.

Yeah, this does make things easier. I’ve also removed the unused inputs from the GZ menu, for a minimalist list.

I just wish we had a PICTURE button on our remote so we can change from a day time picture mode to a night time picture mode quickly. I’ve managed to assign Sequences to a couple of the Harmony remote buttons which work well (with delays in between commands), but it’s just not as sleek.

Weird how Panasonic have two different premium remotes for the same TV in different regions (Aus & Europe)...