wharfedale diamond 9.6 vs evo-2 8 vs evo-2 40?

Hi Firstly I don't havea lot of experience auditioning.

I've only properly auditioned sonus faber cremona m and thought that was heaven.

I think my Diamond 9.6 has a lot more midrange than I'd like Thanks to the signature midrange dome - why wharfedale why!

Anyway ... Are the evo 2 8 and 40 a big improvement or not much or what do people recommend for under 2k? Assuming I have all the amps sorted which I haven't at this stage. Just planning my future move.

Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks will look into that pair ...

I've listened to theophany but nota proper audition coz it was in Harvey Norman. What do you think of those?

Also are thesonus faber cremona bookshelves as good as the cremona m?

I am thinking of moving to bookshelves and matching centre available. Are bookshelves always inferior to floor standing ones of the same series?

Yes. Much. The styling is not the same as Evos, but then again that has to do with personal taste.

A good standmount or bookshelf speaker will sound better than an average floor stander. It's all to do with box resonances, driver crossovers, and correct time alignments of the drivers. The Ushers are likely to prioritise those features above the appearance of the speaker. Don't get me wrong, the Evos will be easier to drive and have higher WAF, but long term it's like eating MacDonalds everyday.

I strongly suggest that you not even think about speakers until way after you have your amplification sorted out. You may be amazed at how well your existing speakers sound once they have a good amplifier in front of them.

Get your existing system sorted, life with it for a while and only then think about if you want to change anything.

I can't comment on the 9.6's vs the EVO2 40, but I can on the 9.6's vs the original EVO 40.

The 9.6's now do duty on the HT system at home, the EVO 40 on the music system.

Firstly, I don't find the 9.6's particularly forward or mid-rangey, so that is more reflective of the driving chain IMHO. I find them quite neutral and are an excellent speaker for the $$, but large/tall and can be imposing.

The EVO 40, and by inference the EVO2 40 (I've listened, but haven' had them at home), is a different kettle of fish, and is a useful advance over the 9.6's..a class above in build and sound. You could do a lot worse as Ernie has already pointed out. Again great VFM, and though similar in size to the 9.6's, the better finish has a higher WAF factor . Personally, I love mine and would need to spend serious $$ to do better.

Trouble is for under $2K, there is quite a selection and it is so personal... to throw up more brands would just confuse things.

Ernie;187183 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, the Evos will be easier to drive and have higher WAF, but long term it's like eating
MacDonalds
everyday.

Burger Wisconsin maybe at a looong stretch, but definitely NOT McDonalds, and if you continue to perpetrate such an unfair analogy you will be challenged to soggy lettuce at 50 paces. :D:D;)

I was asking because I saw some evo2 8s for sale and they look darn nice!

If I get proper amping (ie buy a receiver with preamp out and connect to poweramp) but play the 9.6 soft to medium loudness will it improve the sound?

I get the impression my 9.6 need to be fed power ie played loud?

joker97;187196 wrote:
If I get proper amping (ie buy a receiver with preamp out and connect to poweramp) but play the 9.6 soft to medium loudness will it improve the sound?

As I said in your other thread the item that is holding back your system is your current receiver. Change that to the one you mentioned (a 4308 or something) and you will likely be startled at the improvement in sound.

Fiddling around with other ideas (twin subs, a separate power amp, different speakers) is just a waste of time, energy and money at the moment.

Nak-Mad;187187 wrote:
Firstly, I don't find the 9.6's particularly forward or mid-rangey, so that is more reflective of the driving chain IMHO.

I would say it's more reflective of the room they are in. Is there a dip or a peak around 300hz in the frequency response? That there will dictate how warm or not a speaker sounds.

I am trying to get the 4308 guy to agree to shipping. He doesn't want to ship at the moment. So you are saying that I don't need a poweramp, just a higher end receiver would be ok.

I have trawled the net looking for frequency response curve for the 9.6 but found none. The 9.5 has a bump in the bass range.

Anyway I will follow the advise of better receiver 2nd hand and I have bought a sub and stay away from the temptation of the evo2 8.

joker97;187223 wrote:
I have trawled the net looking for frequency response curve for the 9.6 but found none. The 9.5 has a bump in the bass range.

It's the frequency response that's measured from the listening position in the room you have the speakers in that count. You could have the flattest measured speakers in the world, but depending how you place them in your room, they could be anything but.

me2;187206 wrote:
I would say it's more reflective of the room they are in. Is there a dip or a peak around 300hz in the frequency response? That there will dictate how warm or not a speaker sounds.

Could be a cause, but after 8 years ownership, several houses and rooms later never found the 9.6's to be particularly room sensitive with one exception: I find they like a bit of space, particularly from the back wall and try to keep them at least 30cm from a vertical boundary for best balance.

IME they are fussier on source and amplification rather than the room (aside from the obvious like a tiled floor or similar, and caveat above) so I stand by my original comment.. but YMMV.

Thank nakmad.

In your experience do you think the denon 4308 would be enough to drive the 9.6?

(I actually bought a 9.5 pair but got a good deal with the 9.6 thinking it would be superior but had not been able to handle the piercing midrange dome. Then stupidly changed the 9.cs to 9.cm and that had pained my waf coz it will not fit in Any ht shelf! Hence I thought if I could swap everything to the evo shelves at no loss ...)

joker97;187239 wrote:
Thank nakmad.

In your experience do you think the denon 4308 would be enough to drive the 9.6?

(I actually bought a 9.5 pair but got a good deal with the 9.6 thinking it would be superior but had not been able to handle the piercing midrange dome. Then stupidly changed the 9.cs to 9.cm and that had pained my waf coz it will not fit in Any ht shelf! Hence I thought if I could swap everything to the evo shelves at no loss ...)

Sorry Joker97, I'm basically a 2 channel man... can't really comment with any credibility on HT amps even though my 9.6's are currently on HT duty! (similarly ancient Pioneer VSX-812) I'd refer back to Michael J's recommendations in your other thread....the 4038 would seem to be a significant advance over your existing 768.

The 9.6's are not a difficult drive.. and are reasonably sensitive at 90dB: they go more than loud enough hanging off a wee Topping TP60 T amp(@ 27WPC).. they just need quality amplification to get the best out of them.

cheers,

NM

• 2 weeks later...

LHH;187171 wrote:
How about second hand? For under $2k you could pick up these, which are fantastic for the money:

They take a lot of driving though, so you'd need 150+ watts of quality power to go with them.

how does the paradigm reference range compare with these? are they better? (ignoring the price range difference if any)

I am thinking of upgrading my centre speaker the impotent wharfedale diamond 9.cm to say a paradigm cc570

joker97;187737 wrote:
how does the paradigm reference range compare with these? are they better? (ignoring the price range difference if any)

I am thinking of upgrading my centre speaker the impotent wharfedale diamond 9.cm to say a paradigm cc570

I have a Wharfedale 10cs with my 10.5s but I'm thinking of upgrading to a wharfedale jade centre speaker since I would like clearer vocals. The paradigm centres look nice though.