strange looking Ariston TT

Yep, definitely an RD40...one of the first cake tin styled decks, and as Jon said, a credible performer for the price... the Systemdek II is the other similarly styled 'compatriot'... can't remember which came first.. but think it may have the Ariston.

Could go for silly money.....

Papa Hemi;134104 wrote:
Get a divorce! If the magic is gone - the magic is gone. 2x Lenco currently on TM...

Actually, that's a real good metaphor. I've had the Luxman for aaaaaaaages. Way longer than any other TT. For some reason I just don't like it that much. It sounds fine, but looks boring and really shouldn't be as good as it is.

I've played around (pun intended) with Garrards, Commonwealth, Lenco and other decks from time to time, but they were only flings that last a month or so before I get bored of them being fiddly, unreliable and not sounding that great before going back to the Luxman.

Haven't had another TT for nearly a year now in the main system, so I'm getting bored again.

Might be time for another fling. Have set this up in the lounge on the Roberts. Damn it's cool. It's got much nicer treble than the Luxman already. The thing is in very rough shape, but functional. Tops are very accurate and shimmery, bass is very tight and controlled, mids are nice and rich without being edgy.

the cart is some kind of special AT MM thing that's all red and has a special headshell, but no model. i've taken the cart off, but all it says is the brand, nothing else.

It looks like this thing was purchased, but never used. Stylus is mint. It's covered in years worth of dust, dirt and corrosion. The bearings are like new though, so I'm guessing it's been in storage forever.

Good restoration project I reckon.