SF Guarneri Homage / BW 805 signature

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aarond;95065 wrote:
Good Lord they are magnificent sounding.
:)

Pity about work tomorrow....

Is that a cough I'm hearing? You're not looking that good. Hell, it might be swine flu . . . can't go to work with that. Best call in sick mate, it's the right thing to do. :)

Cheers,

Craig.

Well, the first view of the speakers by my significant other half this morning.

'They are no more profoundly ugly than the other speakers'...

'Can we remove the marble bases, they look fake'...

'They are not much less obtrusive'...

I give up!!

One day I'll bring home a pair of the Avantgade Due Omega horns that the guy, Pete, who sold me the Guarneris has in his house. What a huge, significant set of speakers, and the sound, wow...

I tried some violin last night - not Vivaldi, but Bach violin concertos by Julia Fishcer. Words cannot really describe the sound - it was just 'right' and I listened to the entire CD with eyes closed.

aarond;95074 wrote:

I give up!!

One day I'll bring home a pair of the Avantgade Due Omega horns that the guy, Pete, who sold me the Guarneris has in his house. What a huge, significant set of speakers, and the sound, wow...

I tried some violin last night - not Vivaldi, but Bach violin concertos by Julia Fishcer. Words cannot really describe the sound - it was just 'right' and I listened to the entire CD with eyes closed.

Congrats :)

aarond;95074 wrote:

I am speechless....... sounds like Mrs needs to be treated to a (educational) holiday in Italy ;)

The current listening chain?... Any vacuum in there for those electrons to fly free in?

aarond;95074 wrote:

I give up!!

Your delight is palpable, and so is my pleasure in that delight.

But I'm tired so this dung-coated gumboot of a story will have to stand in for a more detailed response... Rural delivery backed up to the door: "They're bloody heavy!" Under HER suspicious eye I carried the cartons into the living room as the postie, sensibly, fled. I eased this out from that; finally the first Daedalus DA-RMA emerged. Was the speaker TREMBLING? No, that must have been the sun shimmering on and off the solid wood. "Yes," she said decisively, "We'll keep those ones; they'll look nice in this room - providing they don't stick out too far."

Only then did I begin to hook up the, er, furniture.

Some photos of my new babies.

My poor partner noted that I've taken more photos of stereo gear recently than of her. Luckily I maintained the presence of mind to inform her that her beautiful presence was with me each and everyday, therefore a photographic record was not really required. :)

Pictures are not really able to capture the physical presence of these beauties.

Image 470 shows the colour nicely, though they do seem to change in huue with the current lighting. Image 471 gives a reasonable indication of size - they are huge, with the tops of the stands being 90 cm and the top of the speaker 127cm.

95197=2870-IMG_0461_1.jpg

95197=2871-IMG_0469_1.JPG

95197=2872-IMG_0470_1.JPG

95197=2873-IMG_0471_1.JPG

aarond;95197 wrote:

Pictures are not really able to capture the physical presence of these beauties.

If they sound as good as they look then I'm surprised that you have time to post here. Get back to the sweet spot immediately! Naturally, you'll need to reassure your partner. This can best be achieved by inviting her to share the sofa in front of the speakers. A generous soul might even let her choose the music. Then you'll have two sweet spots and an ideal Sunday.

maxgates's advice is the best that you've received to date, aaron...

Get to it ;)

PS. Maybe a wee tidy of the dangling red cables behind the stands, tuck them in a touch, vertically perhaps... might help too to assuage her mild discontent.

PPS. God, they're gorgeous :cool::cool::cool:

maxgate;95201 wrote:
If they sound as good as they look then I'm surprised that you have time to post here. Get back to the sweet spot immediately! Naturally, you'll need to reassure your partner. This can best be achieved by inviting her to share the sofa in front of the speakers. A generous soul might even let her choose the music. Then you'll have two sweet spots and an ideal Sunday.

Ilikecrumpets;95219 wrote:

Interestingly I have a pair of Usher Mini Dancer One's at home at the mo, the cabinet construction (layers of wood) is a dead ringer for your new supermodels!

Can you share pics and thoughts (another thread maybe)? Or is this for upcoming editorial content in Tone?

curious_george;95222 wrote:
Can you share pics and thoughts (another thread maybe)? Or is this for upcoming editorial content in Tone?

Yeah George it is for a Tone piece, but I'll take a few pics and post 'em up tomorrow along with my initial listening impressions. Certainly they are stunningly built and styled, I'm just burning them in at the moment but so far listening has been very pleasureable!

Ilikecrumpets;95219 wrote:
Wow, simply magnificent Aaron! And I'm envious regarding the amount of free space for them (sigh).

Interestingly I have a pair of Usher Mini Dancer One's at home at the mo, the cabinet construction (layers of wood) is a dead ringer for your new supermodels!

Franco Serblin of Sonus Faber would send out a mafia hit-squad if he read that.

:P