SF Guarneri Homage / BW 805 signature

Some really good standmount speakers on TM at the moment

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Speakers-and-stands/Floor-speakers/auction-224672744.htm

and

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Speakers-and-stands/Floor-speakers/auction-225373627.htm

I like the look of the B&W Tigers Eye finish and owning a pair of SF Amati Homage, I know the finish on the Guarneris will be exquisite.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been very, very close to pulling the trigger on the Guarneris.

But three separate people (two dealers, one fellow forum member) have said to me that the are too old, therefore too expensive. Think automobile, one said. Think computers another said.

I have trouble with those analogies however, as PC technology is morphing at a much faster rate than speaker tech, and cars depreciate rapidly as a given - with high km giving rise to mechanical uncertainty also.

I can't help but think that, although they may be old, I can never get near the price of the new Guarneri model ($22K, special import only).

My current SF speakers, the Grand Pianos, give me a small taste of what the Guarneris might be able to do, and I've been listening to my second system with a set of Chario standmounts a lot recently.

Standmount speakers do amazing things, the Charios just disappear and the performers are 'right there in front of me'.

I'm kind of hoping someone else will get the Guarneris this time round and my last few weeks of torturous indecision will be over.

Worst thing is, I could afford the auction at the moment.

Arrrrghhhhh...

I don't think there will be any problems with them, despite their age. Most people with these types of speakers are pretty anal about looking after things. I would insist on a close inspection before parting with my $. My Amatis are 8 years old and are still in perfect nick functionally and cosmetically. I would go for it if I were you. These speakers just don't come up very often.

Yes indeed.

One thing to be aware of is that the Grand Pianos would have considerably stronger bass than the the Guarneris... despite the fact that the Guarneris have exceptionally smooth HFs & the Guarneri HFs are also curtailed a wee bit which, together with the limited LF extension, gives v nice tonal balance however.

Exquisite in SQ as the Guarneris undoubtedly are, I wouldn't expect them to excell with all types of music, Rock esp or even full orchestral. For smaller/med. ensemble classical, Jazz, acoustic stuff however, they could be (will be) heaven. And like a lot of SFs, esp when driven by a (grunty) tube amp.

(IMO only...I've heard these early Guarneris in a home environment some yrs ago but sadly haven't had the good fortune to hear them at length again. I've not heard Grand Pianos.)

Devil on one shoulder, angels of reason on the other.

I know what my heart says, but my head says no wait until you find something to audition carefully at home.

I think the over riding thought is that I already wish the GPs had more bass in the large (5 m x 7m) lounge area at home...

markvetnz;94650 wrote:
Guarneri vs Grand Paino - not even in the same league! If you want more bass than add a sub like Frequent Flyer has.

agreed- from my experience at FF's they're Flippin mind blowing. You wouldn't want for another speaker - what those things do with the sound they're given is incredible.

aaron - I (perhaps foolhardily) bought my PSB T8's without hearing them...I read as much and as many reviews I could off the net... the price was too tempting to say no... so I did and have never regretted it - they're superb. for the price I paid there is no way on this earth I would EVER have got a sound from a new pair, or carefully auditioned pair for the money I paid. although I don't know your circumstances (and wouldn't presume to ) gotta be a no brainer, and if you don't like them in a few years - you can flick them off with minimal overall loss. But somehow they might become your new babies and you'd never get rid. They're a work of art

Aarond, Ken Kessler of Hi Fi News owns this older model and in the March 2007 issue reviewed the newer model and this is what he had to say. "If you have a pair of thr original, don't feel compelled to change them. They're still magnificent, and I intend to use mine until the driver cones decompose."

He said, "the new model is not better but different" so they are still a world class speaker that would bring extream levels of 'proud of ownership' and for a very good reason.

STOP IT!!!!!

"i'm not going to bite...not going to bite...."

Repeat to myself.....

"they're ugly speakers...they're ugly speakers....."

"they've been to Fiji...got damp with the sea air......."

"they haven't got good bass....no scale...not good for Metallica...bass will add extra cost..."

"they're too old...too old...older than my Britney CD....."

SO just STOP IT, you guys.....

yours,

aaron"2"

He's staring at the auction with one hand on mouse, sweet dripping of forehead and bloodshot eyes, and a slight shiver wondering how the missus with take the news of the purchase:D

Only kidding Aaron! Don't listen to me......that's a lot of cash and times are definately tough.

jonathan;94698 wrote:
From that photo they sure do look like they've got a face for radio - are they any less ugly in reality? For that sort of dosh (in fact, even if they were free!) I know my partner would want them to be better looking...

Ugly.. what you talkin about Willis?

If those speakers were a woman they would be....... a famous Russian tennis player, Jessica Alba or Brad Pits wife!

omegaspeedy;94703 wrote:
If those speakers were a woman they would be....... a famous Russian tennis player, Jessica Alba or Brad Pits wife!

... if such women had legs the diameter of a good-sized kauri, the comparison would be apt...

Christ, I guess this is proof that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder! I think they're some of the most unattractive speakers I've seen - well, I guess the speakers themselves aren't too bad, but those stands? From that photo they look like some cheap Warewhare potplant stand. All they need is a nice paper doily on top.

Anyway, auction now closed without reaching reserve...

jonathan;94698 wrote:
From that photo they sure do look like they've got a face for radio - are they any less ugly in reality? For that sort of dosh (in fact, even if they were free!) I know my partner would want them to be better looking...

Ugly?! - get out of here!! - they are goddamnbeeeutiful. Honestly, they're stunning up close. They're crafted meticulously and are pure sex on a marble pedestal