Panasonic 42PV7 Plasma

Swanny;59399 wrote:
Another question. Can you output a 1024x768 but 16:9 signal from a pc? Do you setup the dvd player software to do it (wonders if mplayer might do it).

From what little I know of PCs and graphics cards, depending on your graphics card, you should be able to output a picture & set the aspect ratio of the TV to get a "proper" (ie not squished or elongated) picture.

I downloaded some 720p divx short movies and they looked blinding on my PV7 - mind you, my laptop can output a 16:9 picture at varying resolutions. I have played video through a divx player & windows media player - the "normal" computer picture (ie to do computer work) looks great too if the output resolution is set up correctly.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swanny;59397 wrote:
Ok, so I can't see them quite that good a price but for $1400 they seem a bargain...

When I say just over $1300, I mean it in the selling it to the wife sense of just over...

Swanny;59397 wrote:
Are these tv's really as good as you guys claim them to be? Every time I look at them in a shop they seem to be quite grainy/blocky or something, just not very clear.

Mate, I've sat friends down to watch mine and they've been impressed by the pictures from the new HD equipment that's come out but I've been playing an upscaled DVD.

I've recently been seeing the latest full HD screens with non upscaling DVD's pictures through them and they look terrible with grain and artifacts. Obviously the shops want to sell the screens on their specs, not the pictures. On the other hand, better the picture is better when you get home, rather than the shop screening a full HD movie on the screen then the punter's disappointed by the SKY picture later on...

Senator;59402 wrote:
...you can pick up the samsung C91...the set has the gloss black finish vs panny's matte black so it looks a little classier too (personal taste)

The Samsung's finish does look great unless you have little sticky easter egg fingers touching the pretty finish

'Dont buy a plasma they will make your power bills way too high, LCD is the only way to go'. And so my 'talk back radio' informed brother in law shouted to us all yesterday. Last I heard the power consumption was approximately the same as an LCD, on average - just a different technology. But I wasn't certain of the exact facts, so I refrained from attempting to educate the man...

Plasmas aren't being "phased out" although I suspect their days are numbered just due to complexity of manufacture etc.

An LCD uses a fair bit less power eg 50" PV7 = 519W, 52" Philips full HD LCD 340W. But as long as plasma walks all over LCD for blacks and contrast, they'll be around.

I had actually contempleted that for a summer promotion, but instead opted for a discounted weekend rate. The logistics behind delivering / picking up would just be a nightmare (still, would be fun imagining the Mrs on a moped buzzing round Hornby dropping off and picking up)

tkr001;59414 wrote:
I believe plasma consumption varies according to the brightness of the image ie whether the pixecls are being charged or not. Panasonic claim fairly comparable consumption for plasma and LCD
In any case we are talking about as much as a light being left on.

A useful link and some interesting statistics which suggest much lower average consumption than some of the figures quoted above. 579 Wh over 4.22 hours (253 minutes) equates to an average consumption of 137W. TKR001's comparison to a light bulb is not far off.

• 2 weeks later...
Well' date=' I missed out on the JB Hi-Fi sale as they don't ship outside of Auckland and don't allow people to pay for goods over the phone.

Anyway, just as well I missed out, as Dick Smith has them even cheaper this week: $1398.60 (see http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/G5077).

QUOTE']

Does anyone know if the 42PV7 is still available on special in any stores in the Auckland region? I've been given the go ahead, with budget $1500 as per the price 2 weeks ago....

Hopper;60060 wrote:
As always try the team at Stereoworld.

They have a cost + 5% sale on. However, at the last one, they quoted me somewhere between $1700 & $1800 for the PV7... When I bought my PV7 for $1600, I was told it was below cost!!!!

I'd keep an eye out at DSE. They seem to have mega discounts on various ranges each week.

aarond;60059 wrote:
Does anyone know if the 42PV7 is still available on special in any stores in the Auckland region? I've been given the go ahead, with budget $1500 as per the price 2 weeks ago....

You may be lucky at Appliance Shed... they were offering the PV70 at $1998 with a $200 cash back a couple of weeks ago

johnnyrs;60069 wrote:
I'd keep an eye out at DSE. They seem to have mega discounts on various ranges each week.

The one at sylvia park has big piles of telly boxes of on special as you walk in. Can't remember makes/models but it definately looked like they wanted to get rid of them.

Stereoworld had the PV7 for $1599. Walked in and walked out 10 mins later with less $$ in the bank and a nice big box.

First impressions very good. It is utterly massive (compared to previous 20" CRT).

Picked up a set of decent component leads, ($140) only to discover that my DVD player doesn't have component out!! So they will have to go back.

I'll need to search the forums to judge whether it is worthwhile trying SCART to component connection or just sticking with S-video. Not sure I can spring a new DVD player at the moment.

Got 'Sunshine' on DVD to watch tonight on the new big screen. Yahoo!

Edit: the unhappy smiley was only meant to refer specifically to the comment on the lack of component out on the DVD player, I'm over the moon with my new toy!

your dvd player doesnt have component out???

don't trade in the leads, get a new DVD player. S video should be okish and used at the bare minimum.

you must have a vintage DVD player for it not to have component outpu, I thought they all did

enjoy your new TV

tkr001;60100 wrote:
Bond and Bond is not JB HiFi. Hill and Stewart are however owned by JB HiFi. IIRC Bond and Bond and Noel Leeming have the same owner.

My mistake, always getting confused between the 3 of them... the cheap PV7s were at Hill & Stewart

Senator;60102 wrote:
don't trade in the leads, get a new DVD player. S video should be okish and used at the bare minimum.

Great idea... the result in upscaling via HDMI through my PV7 is nothing short of startling. For a start, you can pick up a DVD player with component for less than $100. Upscalers over HDMI start at around $150 I think. For best results (imho), look for specials on Denons (1920/1930/1940)... or the oppos that everyone talks about - some which can output upscaled pictures over component.