Panasonic 42PV7 Plasma

marantz;58833 wrote:
The PV7 is an excellent screen and at $1599 is a true bargain.

Well, I missed out on the JB Hi-Fi sale as they don't ship outside of Auckland and don't allow people to pay for goods over the phone.

Anyway, just as well I missed out, as Dick Smith has them even cheaper this week: $1398.60 (see http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/G5077).

If it's a bargain $1599, I'm feeling pretty pleased that we've managed to get one for $200 less... though I assume it's basically on run-out. Have the slight worry about whether I should have waited for a model with Freeview built in, but I assume this may not even be the case with the next model (and may push prices up a bit? Or will they wait until other countries have adopted the same standard so the price difference will be reduced?).

Thanks for everyone's advice re the purchase of this (and originally for steering me away from LCD). Next obsessions will need to be a new upscaling DVD player (or waiting for an affordable Bluray player?) and Freeview decoder (or waiting for an affordable Freeview PVR?).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I showed the DSE price to my better half, explained what a great deal it was. 'But dont need another TV - we've already got my one' she replies. Arrrgggggghhh - we sit around 12 feet from that horrible little 20" CRT thing and watching subtitled movies is almost impossible (The Lives of Others was basically ruined by my inability to make out the words against the background from 12 feet away, no fault of the excellent movie I must add).

What can I do? I've got the money myself, but I'm not keen on forking out myself for a TV that we'll both use.

What is it about (some) women and technology? Why do they not appreciate the sound/picture quality?

My desperate mind is thinking of ways to sabotage the current TV - I've done it before by running the PC through it and destoying my graphics card in the process, but she paid $140 to get it fixed (I paid the $300 for a new card).

Please excuse my ranting, I'm probably just going to end up paying for one on my own now.

StereoWorld advertise that they will match any written quote, and also this month they say that they are offering a $200 ex Panasonic cash back on their TV's.

$1398 - 200 = $1198? Might go grab a couple at that price.....

That's the beauty of relationships. You can voice your true opinion on forums like this and your partner is none the wiser that you think she/he is a deaf tight SOB.

Yes, grow some balls and buy the damn TV, as Senator says. If they don't like the small purchase of an insignificant TV maybe they aren't the right person for you! :)

Newbie;59150 wrote:
That's the beauty of relationships. You can voice your true opinion on forums like this and your partner is none the wiser that you think she/he is a deaf tight SOB.

But what relevance does this kind of crap actually have to do with the purpose of this forum? Last time I checked it wasn't for bitter and twisted husbands/ex husbands.

I'd imagine that if I started mouthing off with racist rubbish, I'd soon be told to go away - and quite rightly so. So why should such blatantly stupid and sexist statements have an airing in this forum? Let's stick to our knitting...

Most who know my style of posts would have taken that statement in the humour it was intended, hope I didnt hit a nerve.

But you were quite clear it was "your" money, not "ours". If you do keep separate finances etc, then whats yours is yours. I haven't had "my" own money for many years.

Sheesh, if we can't silently whinge in here about our SO's, what little piece of this of the interweb, what is left

Senator;59140 wrote:
grow a pair, spend your money

Ofcourse, if you are in a relationship, its not your money, its hers, she just lets you think you have some

ha ha, thanks for the laugh!

no TV at this stage, there will be other opportunities, but managed to negotiate the return of my beloved stereo gear from exile due to not being able to sell our house.

curious_george;59282 wrote:
Not sure how much cheaper than what has been discussed, DSE are having an Easter sale. They're discounting all TVs 30%. Advertising as seen in the DominionPost.

The website has the PV7 just over $1300 and the PV70 just over $1600!!!!!!

johnnyrs;59331 wrote:
The website has the PV7 just over $1300 and the PV70 just over $1600!!!!!!

Ok, so I can't see them quite that good a price but for $1400 they seem a bargain...

.....goes to www.my-bank's-website.co.nz......

Wahoo! I've been paid but the mortgage payment hasn't come out yet :D

Are these tv's really as good as you guys claim them to be? Every time I look at them in a shop they seem to be quite grainy/blocky or something, just not very clear.

Swanny;59397 wrote:
Are these tv's really as good as you guys claim them to be?

No, we're just teasing you.

Swanny;59397 wrote:
Every time I look at them in a shop they seem to be quite grainy/blocky or something, just not very clear.

They look bloody awful to me in every shop that I've seen them in also.

But I bought one anyway, in one of the biggest leaps of faith in my life.

Cross my heart and hope I die, these sets are awesome (especially for the price), my oh my.

But as has been stated over and over, they (like most plasmas) need a room with subdued lighting to look their best.

What more can be said.

For about another $300 until they go back up to full price, you can pick up the samsung C91, which from what I have seen (set up in stores mind you) has a bloody good image and could be even better than the panny (blacks certainly seem deeper), plus, the set has the gloss black finish vs panny's matte black so it looks a little classier too (personal taste).

I remember seeing the full def 50 inch samsung next to the 50 inch full def panny in harvey normans in Christchurch. The samsung was noticeable sharper with more detail when playing the same material side by side (and again, blacks were just that wee bit better and more depth to the colours). The salesman even grabbed the remotes to check the settings on both to make sure neither was inflated / deflated in its settings - contrast, sharpness etc. While neither were probably calibrated, neither had funny settings so it seemed like a fair comparison, for what it was anyway

Sen