Back to vynal. Purchase advice please

Had it on line when straight to amp and phono to mixer with earth lead connected which is how it still is so I can watch the levels via mixer.

Think first record was just low levels.

ATM the turntable is sitting on sub (switched off) next to speaker. Not ideal I know. Might have to get a rack for it and locate elsewhere. 

Coming up soon Hawkwind

I was gunna joke and say don’t put the TT on the sub - but I see that’s exactly what you’ve done haha - good luck

4 hours ago, eman said:

Yeah move the TT away from speaker.

Hum when turned up could well just be acoustic feedback.

3 hours ago, A J said:

I was gunna joke and say don’t put the TT on the sub - but I see that’s exactly what you’ve done haha - good luck

At least I'm not running the sub lol

Reckon it's a fair to definate chance where it is is causing issue.

Gunna have to consider options.

On another note after playing for about 45 mins volume seems to have picked up. Maybe it needed a little run time to bed in.

I think a longer rca lead is needed to get turntable further away from interference. 

I also noticed when I walked in room there was disturbance to the playing from vibration. Timber floor.

Edited by SGS

10 minutes ago, SGS said:

At least I'm not running the sub lol

Reckon it's a fair to definate chance where it is is causing issue.

Gunna have to consider options.

On another note after playing for about 45 mins volume seems to have picked up. Maybe it needed a little run time to bed in.

I think a longer rca lead is needed to get turntable further away from interference. 

I also noticed when I walked in room there was disturbance to the playing from vibration. Timber floor.

Use the phono stage in the turntable and run it into a line input on your Yammie. Things should be better.

Today I mannaged to move tt away from all speakers. Now located on a temporary stand though it can be a bit wobly. Found a rack I might get from selby.

I spoke with the salesman there about carts. He thought what I had was conical. We checked and it is. What I read about the mmf 1.3 was that it had an eliptycal stylus which makes sense with the 3.5 gram weight. I also note that my stylus output is 2.5mV which is lower than most.

So seems I should replace cart with an elyptical stylus with lower weight and higher mV output.

Ortofon 2M red seems the obvious choice but looking for something less expensive.

AT95E/ BL for 60 plus new headshell. 1.5 to 2.5 tracking weight and 3.5mV output

Also have to get a longer rca lead.

New cart certainly makes a difference. I know it's far from the best cart but now being elyptical and a track weight of 2 grams has made an outstanding improvement. 

Also purchased a hifi rack for it and new rca with earth lead that was longer so I could get away from the speakers. It could potentially be too long at 6m but better than where it was.

No more upgrades for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I lied.

Another upgrade. 

I was still very disappointed with the output volume which required me to put volume up significantly. This then brought in all manner of issues with noises from vibeations etc.

So I started looking at all the specs. As in input output to the milli volt. 

Cart put out 3.5mV

Inbuilt preamp put out 206mV max

Amp was expecting around 2V input on the line in I was using.

Even with the mixer I had the output levels were no where what the amp expected. Resulting in very low output well less than half.

Researched preamps and went to Selby in Hallam. They had a Cord preamp which puts out up to 2.5V and is switchable for MM and MC carts. Handy.

Got home and connected it. I have volume I had to turn it down from ref -12 but at that volume gone were all the noises from vibration or at least they were not noticeable to any degree unlike before.

Only 1 more thing to buy. Decent record cleaner.

• Like 1