Opinions on Osborn Interludes sought

Hi, considering these speakers. Not finding a great deal of reviews on them, so this be the place to be I guess ehe.

What do you think of them, my current speakers are Aaron Ats 4's gen 2, time for an upgrade

would be an upgrade from the aaron giving warmth, detail and nice controlled bass end. were probably the pick in the osborn line up in my mind for quite a while.

the aaron are more a rock speaker so will possibly win out in pure volume and clout but the interludes are different in that tact.

Will be driven by a Emotiva XMC-1 as the processor in 2 channel with the Emotiva XPA-1L for left and right, or in HT with eventually a matching center speaker of the same brand.

Seeing Greg on Sunday, just looking for a bit more input/knowledge on these speakers.

1 minute ago, Kaynin said:

Excellent value for money vs performance.  I first looked at the Interludes, but went the Eclipse, which is where I think the real value for $$$ lies in his range.

Out of my budget ehe

1 minute ago, Itsmoi said:

Out of my budget ehe

All good.  You'll be quite surprised by the Interludes, like I said, they're the speaker that got me interested in his range, and have kept for over 5 years now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, :) al said:

the aaron are more a rock speaker so will possibly win out in pure volume and clout but the interludes are different in that tact.

I predominantly listen to 60 and 70's hard and heavy rock, like Deep Purple , Sabbath etc etc, but looking also for something a bit more refined

48 minutes ago, Itsmoi said:

I predominantly listen to 60 and 70's hard and heavy rock, like Deep Purple , Sabbath etc etc, but looking also for something a bit more refined

if in victoria, indeed as been suggested i would recommend popping around to greg to have a listen with your music :) best way to know for yourself if suits :)

@Itsmoi

I have listened to them, but that was many years ago, about 2011. I have visited Greg another time after that as well as listened to his speakers at a hifi show.

My preference for music is different from yours, so my comments may not be relevant.

I went with a certain budget in mind and thankfully the first time I visited him I stopped listening at at the Epitomes. 

I have not heard the Eos and I don't think it will work for your type of music. The F4's did nothing for me, the Interludes started to raise my interest, the Eclipse sounded good and the Epitomes were the ones I wanted.

Budget and WAF meant I ended up with Eclipse Reference Towers.

Good to hear that you are going to visit to Greg. 

Go with an open mind  and take your amps and music with.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Hi Itsmoi, I've had Greg's Epitomes for 24 years now including the later introduced Sub Bass upgrade. By memory, mine were the 4 pair he'd made. They are such brilliant perfromers, thet I have truned over nearly all the gear I had from that time, but the Epitomes remained. I finally popped a midrange driver 2 years ago, (my fault, not the speakers) and had to scour the planet to find an upgraded pair unused on a shelf in the States. I'm now in the throws of rebirthing these speakers, in the form of aesthetic enhancement and crossover rebuild because I cannot see how I can be as happy with another speaker that I could actually afford. While these are not the model you are specifically asking about, there are 2 points to be gleaned form this.

1 - Greg's Spearkers last a long time having premium components incorporated into them, and good reserved design in their makeup.

2 - While the the initial outlay of Greg's lineup may seem pricey, it's a true reflection of the cost to build and if you keep them for a long time like I have, then the price atomized over all those years becomes quite cheap. And you are buying direct from the manufacturer. This alone saves you buckets of cash.

If you decide to buy into the Osborn Range, you can buy with confidence.

I'll be interested in your reflections post audition.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 2

Yes indeed,...a very long time, but I tend not to change gear unless I feel I'm going forward with regard to performance, not just sideways sideways because I'm bored with my current product. I've met countless  audio nuts caugth in this cycle.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Itsmoi said:

Thanks Jventer, 

will listen tomorrow. Got a few other brands coming to mind too, so we shall see, thinking Legend Kama's and some others

I have a lot of respect for the Legend speakers. The good DR really knows what he is doing.

Greg's speakers are by no means the best money can buy, but which speaker is and if it is who can afford it.  It is fantastic value for money and that is why I bought his speakers. There are a few other Aussie manufacturers like Legend and Hulgich etc. - the solution is to listen to what you can and make a decision on that.

Please look at it like this:

• We all have different hearing abilities, specific personal and family circumstances, age, music taste etc etc
  • Then there is budget and stuff we have and stuff we still want to buy.
  • As well as WAF

In other words there is no right or wrong answer. I boils down to what music you like and your budget. I am very happy with my speakers and amps I bought offf Greg in 2010/2011.

There is something else though. It is called "synergy" it is important that the different pieces of equipment works well together. It means you have/buy equipment and cables that work well together. That is another discussion for another day, but that is wht I said that you should take your amps etc to Greg as it will influence what you are hearing.

Please tell Greg Johannes from Alice Springs, now Grafton says hello.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jventer said:

I have a lot of respect for the Legend speakers. The good DR really knows what he is doing.

Greg's speakers are by no means the best money can buy, but which speaker is and if it is who can afford it.  It is fantastic value for money and that is why I bought his speakers. There are a few other Aussie manufacturers like Legend and Hulgich etc. - the solution is to listen to what you can and make a decision on that.

Please look at it like this:

• We all have different hearing abilities, specific personal and family circumstances, age, music taste etc etc
  • Then there is budget and stuff we have and stuff we still want to buy.
  • As well as WAF

In other words there is no right or wrong answer. I boils down to what music you like and your budget. I am very happy with my speakers and amps I bought offf Greg in 2010/2011.

There is something else though. It is called "synergy" it is important that the different pieces of equipment works well together. It means you have/buy equipment and cables that work well together. That is another discussion for another day, but that is wht I said that you should take your amps etc to Greg as it will influence what you are hearing.

Please tell Greg Johannes from Alice Springs, now Grafton says hello.

Unless you kicked him in the shins, will he remember you from 2010/11?  The reason I ask is...

i went out to Aranmar cabinets in Moorabbin about 3 years ago.  I wanted a cabinet for the room that houses my Eclipses.  I had just been over at @Quark house and he had Aranmar make his cabinet.  What blew me away is how many Osborn cabinets were in production.  Greg sells so many speakers, I don’t think we realise just how many...there was a handful of Grand Monument cabinets in production on the day I attended too...

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Itsmoi said:

Not a long story, went there, had a listen to some stereo tunes, and in HT setting. Liked what I heard, clear vocals, plenty bass and imaging.

So took them home with me :)

Badabing, easy as that.  Great to hear you liked what you saw and heard.  :thumb:

Edited by Kaynin
Forgot an 'a'.
  • Like 1

"So took them home with me :)"

Enjoy itsmoi, I'll be surpised if you ever regret it.

and further -

"There is something else though. It is called "synergy" it is important that the different pieces of equipment works well together. It means you have/buy equipment and cables that work well together. That is another discussion for another day, but that is why I said that you should take your amps etc to Greg as it will influence what you are hearing. "

For anyone else looking at speakers, this is pricless advice. Wish I'd said it. I've heard too many expensive systems that don't have synergy,...and they can sound awful!

Cheers, Mark.

Hi, taking my amps with me would have been problematic, so had to decide against that. They are solid state Emotiva XPA-L1's mono blocks and quite embedded in the AV set up

Got some work to do in the 2 channel side of things, lacking bass in using Reference Stereo mode, but in HT there has been a huge improvement already, much clearer punching sound. Can't wait for some more money to purchase the center speaker too, probably the C1, will see when when the time comes

I think it is position related and will experiment, the manual states to use bi wiring, I don't have have that, so using the links and single wire. Must recalibrate the system too still, early days yet

Cheers,

Otto

24 minutes ago, Itsmoi said:

Hi, taking my amps with me would have been problematic, so had to decide against that. They are solid state Emotiva XPA-L1's mono blocks and quite embedded in the AV set up

Got some work to do in the 2 channel side of things, lacking bass in using Reference Stereo mode, but in HT there has been a huge improvement already, much clearer punching sound. Can't wait for some more money to purchase the center speaker too, probably the C1, will see when when the time comes

I think it is position related and will experiment, the manual states to use bi wiring, I don't have have that, so using the links and single wire. Must recalibrate the system too still, early days yet

Cheers,

Otto

Another happy Osborn customer.

I had the Eclipse Reference for a few years, and it was excellent for exactly the type of music you like. They are also great for filling a room with sound for HT.

Keep experimenting with distance from the wall regarding bass - the closer you position the speakers, the more bass you will get. I didn't feel bi-wiring made any difference at all compared to using jumper leads.

Also, I have an Osborn C1 Special up for sale in the adverts. PM me if you're interested.

On 11/02/2018 at 12:16 AM, Kaynin said:

Greg sells so many speakers, I don’t think we realise just how many...there was a handful of Grand Monument cabinets in production on the day I attended too...

Interesting. I didn’t get this impression when talking about his ageing cabinet maker.

I’m pretty sure he told me that he very rarely sells the interludes.

The EOS’s sound good. I’d add a sub.

The standard Epitomes, without bass bins, are probably still the best value for money (non Osborn speakers included) I’ve heard. If you’re going to be keeping them for many years, it might be worth saving for those. Then you can add the bass bins later on.  

On 2/11/2018 at 7:30 PM, Itsmoi said:

Not a long story, went there, had a listen to some stereo tunes, and in HT setting. Liked what I heard, clear vocals, plenty bass and imaging.

So took them home with me :)

and that's why  I didn't give you my opinion, the speakers did the talking. ( I was late to the thread)

Which amp did he hook them up to?

I'd be interested given your taste in music if you listened to the ProAc line up at all?

I have an itch that I need to scratch, but just struggle to let go of my current speakers

Edited by roh008
  • Like 1