Samsung 65" Curved 4K Tv Cheap.

That's not it, upscaling isn't harmful. The brand name 4K LCD's dont look and different to the brand name 1080 LCD's with free to air, no better, no worse.

The no name TV's typically do stuff all in the way of "process" video, and that can work better than messing with it. That could explain it, but its more likely a setup issue. Cant tell without more detailed info about what's not right with SD on the Sammy and how its setup.

That's not it, upscaling isn't harmful. The brand name 4K LCD's dont look and different to the brand name 1080 LCD's with free to air, no better, no worse.

The no name TV's typically do stuff all in the way of "process" video, and that can work better than messing with it. That could explain it, but its more likely a setup issue. Cant tell without more detailed info about what's not right with SD on the Sammy and how its setup.

It's nothing specific, SD just looked duller and the colours more washed on the new TV. Again, it's probably the extra size that could be causing this.

To be fair FTA via my Topfiled 2400 is actually pretty good, particularly the HD channels. I'm mainly talking about my Foxtel channels (my building only has SD and no IQ and I have this going via the Toppy to record).

After tweaking the settings, it's better but Foxtel just looks awful.

The Hisence has over saturated colours while the Samsung doesn't, at least not by much, so thats one difference right there. Try turning up the colour control, or you could but the Sammy into native colour mode which disables the colour management system and is FAR from accurate, but will look more like the Hisence.

If the picture is dull adjust the panel lighting and or gamma setting to your liking.

The Sammy should be set to normal-standard or cinema-movie mode not dynamic, and the "Warm" colour preset is normally most appropriate.

It's nothing specific, SD just looked duller and the colours more washed on the new TV. Again, it's probably the extra size that could be causing this.

To be fair FTA via my Topfiled 2400 is actually pretty good, particularly the HD channels. I'm mainly talking about my Foxtel channels (my building only has SD and no IQ and I have this going via the Toppy to record).

After tweaking the settings, it's better but Foxtel just looks awful.

Foxtel's sd is mostly horrible and way below even fta sd channels.Increasing the size and quality of your tv has just made it more apparent.The biggest joke is that foxtel invite you to press the red button on a good hd feed if you want to view another match.Don't ever do it because those other options on the red button are like watching a blown up mobile phone podcast.A good tv can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear so just sit back and enjoy the best quality content you can find.I had foxtel installed in a second room without realising that the second box is sd only.Really they want you to pay extra for that cr@p?I got it cut off within a week fed HD to the second room using a splitter and length of hdmi cable.Problem solved. :frantics:

So after a few days tweaking the settings for this TV (gamma, colour space, picture size etc.), think I've finally got the perfect picture.

You're right, the better TV's aren't as overly saturated with colours as the cheaper brands, and after a night or 2 getting used to the new picture, the colours definitely look more natural and clean. I much prefer the Samsung.

SD and HD FTA (via my Toppy) look great now and even SD Foxtel looks ok (although, still not great, but can't do too much about that). Blu-ray and Netflix are amazing as expected.

Very happy with this TV, thanks for all suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate.

I don't really notice it to be honest. I sit about 2.5m away, and I'm usually dead centre to the TV. From this seating position, you don't notice the curve at all.

When I'm out on my balcony watching the TV at an angle, you do notice the curve a little bit more. With regards to viewing angles, I don't really see that much difference between curved and non-curved. The picture degrades about the same amount the further from centre you go. See no noticeable benefit having curved. Doesn't really immerse you any more or less.

One thing I did notice though is that it exaggerates light reflections, so you may have to adjust lighting in your room.

As mentioned, I didn't set out to get a curved TV, just happened to be the special available.

I would neither recommend it nor discourage it. Having said that, aesthetically, it does look pretty impressive having a curved unit (so say my friends anyway).

Hope that helps :)

Edited by gib_oz
  • Like 1