Comparing Screen Sizes And Ratios

I have currently got a 128" Scope (21:9) screen, my mate said that can't be much bigger than a 100" 16:9 when watching a wide screen DVD.

So can any one check my math,

A 128" 21:9 would be the same as a 102" 16:9 screen when viewing a 16:9 movie, but when viewing a scope movie on a 102" 16:9 screen you are only getting a 97" image.

So am I right in saying that to compare a scope movie on a 128" scope screen, you would have to have a 135" 16:9 screen to get the same image size

Sounds about right. People use the scope format normally for 2 reasons - speakers wont fit under a 16:9 screen because it's too tall and they like the shape of cinemascope without the black bars top and bottom. (emulating what's done at the cinema)

But also because TV is not as clear as blu ray and watching, in your case, TV on a 135 inch 16:9 screen might look really ordinary.

Some choose the larger 16:9 screen to get the maximum out of both formats but have to put up with black bars (grey bars) and put up with TV looking very ordinary.

My screen is a 165 inch scope screen, I could not make this into a 16:9 screen as my material doesn't get made to that height, plus tv would look terrible that big.