Humax 4Tune

Hi,

I purchased a human 4tune last week. straight away the box randomly changed channels, the volume went to full and stayed there, reset it self etc. All happening randomly. I switched off all the interactive menus as recommended by Humax and even disconnected the TV from it (as also suggested) and I could see from the front panel that it was still doing it.

I have posted a Youtube clip below:

I returned the box, and they gave me one from a different batch and the same issues started to occur.

Humax, says hey now believe there is an issue with the front touch panel firmware and that they may need to return the boxed to the service centre to update the firmware.

I would be very cautious if anyone is looking to buy the HMS-1000t (4 tune) box as it appears to be very buggy.

They also said that there is a main version of firmware due on in August to address an array of other issues with the system.

I got feed up with Humax passing the buck on every fault blaming the environment and or connected equipment.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glenncol Hi,

T3 just worked, when I first bought it, since a few Firmware Upgrades, it is getting better and more managible. Hope this continues.

Maybe if your patient, your Humax may get better. Ask if they can direct you to a specific support site.

Beyonwiz/Humax obvoiusly needed and wanted people to fix the problems, Rather then spent "MONEY" on development.

glenncol Hi,

T3 just worked, when I first bought it, since a few Firmware Upgrades, it is getting better and more managible. Hope this continues.

Maybe if your patient, your Humax may get better. Ask if they can direct you to a specific support site.

Beyonwiz/Humax obvoiusly needed and wanted people to fix the problems, Rather then spent "MONEY" on development.

Hey Gob

I no longer have the 4 Tune, i played with it , reviewed it and sent it back.

The unit is one of the issues the other is Humax AU, they are too busy playing secret squirrel and James Bond that they will not give answers on anything.

I have suggested many times that they open a support and user forum which they just ignore, this all onto of the worst released product i have ever seen.

I have the playing with the T3 over the past month and i love it

How is it on channel navigation?

My wife is welded onto Topfields one button channel list, scroll up and down, then ok to select.

She hated the way the Panasonic changes channels.

Mate its pretty much the same deal, my misses loves the T3 and she got spoilt with a HTPC

Issues with random channel changing on either 7510t or the 4tune PVRs, box powering down? From the tests I have done, I believe that it is RF inference as the cover is plastic with no shielding, poor design on Humax's part. As the a temporary fix, aluminium foil makes a good 'faraday cage'. This in effect prevents interference from high frequency sources such as led lights , digital transformers, plasma TVs etc.

check out my youtube clips:

problem with channel changing randomly by itself (RF interference due to plastic cover)

Temporary solution - makeshift faraday cage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmS2ds-yesA

I got feed up with Humax passing the buck on every fault blaming the environment and or connected equipment.

I believe that its the plastic cover on the 4tune box causing it to have issues.

Made a makeshift faraday cage using aluminium foil wrapped around the box. This resolved it.

I believe that its the plastic cover on the 4tune box causing it to have issues.

Made a makeshift faraday cage using aluminium foil wrapped around the box. This resolved it.

Geez mate nice job, have you reported this to Humax?

• 3 weeks later...

Having read through this thread, I'm convinced that the 4Tune isn't quite ready yet. I'm happy to wait until they resolve the issues before jumping in, but have one question I thought I'd ask of those who've tried it. My TiVo is on its' way out and has been for some time. It keeps randomly rebooting and, as any TiVo user knows, it takes about 10 minutes for the thing to fully reboot, ready to use again.

I like the concept of the Humax 4Tune, but it seems to be lacking one important TiVo feature I use constantly. Namely, the LiveTV button which enables you to switch between tuners. It's very convenient having each tuner on a separate channel and being able to just hit the button, knowing you have 30 minutes of the other channel available to watch. I've looked at the user manual for the 4Tune and can't see any mention of being able to switch between the four tuners. Is this possible?

Can't say for sure but would think unlikely (possibly something someone would write a TAP for?). Be neat if nothing was recording for the Humax to be temorarily recording each of network 2,7,9,10 for you to bounce between.

Tivo are a little unusual in that they actually lock one tuner as the "live TV tuner" I believe. This sacrifices some of its functionality, but I'd not heard of this swapping ability.

FWIW you'd probably be better off just hitting REC on the other station (or two) that you were interested in and then you could flip back and forth between them all.

Regards

Peter Gillepsie

Edited by pgdownload

Thanks Peter. It does seem to be a feature that I've only ever seen on TiVo. It is very useful. If, for example, there's a major news story and you want to see both 7 and 9's coverage, you can use the LiveTV button to toggle between the two. Or, you're watching a show that runs longer than the next one you wish to watch, you set the second tuner to that channel and when the first show finishes, you hit the LiveTV button and rewind to the beginning. No need to record it.

I know I could simply record the other channels, but that means I end up with more crap on the hard drive that I have to manage.

• 5 months later...

Hello

After the latest firmware update this is now a very stable box.

I though I would share this update & my thoughts

http://www.humaxdigital.com/au/products/product_releases.php?gid=494&pid=6

HMS-1000T S/W (Jan. 2015 / Latest Software) – Ver. 1.01.11
Application version : AUTFAC 1.01.11
Loader version : AUTFAC 1.06
System id : 9010.7D03
Update Date : 26 JAN 2015

New Features and improvements
-. Improved IP EPG Reliability
-. Improved User Interface on Guide Page
-. Added a Copy and Move functionality on Series Episodes
-. Allowed to Play Recordings by pressing a 'Play' button from the Recordings List
-. Introduced a New Back to Back Recording Option
-. Introduced New Recording Options such as an ability to set individual padding time, option to keep or delete and option to record repeats or not.
-. Improved Series Recording Functionality
-. Added an Option to Rename Prorgrams
-. More Manual Recording Options
-. Stabilisation of HbbTV Service
-. Increased Server Activation Time to 24 hours a day for file sharing with the Humax in stand by mode

You can easy stream 2 programs at once to 2 different divices on a network including streaming live TV while recording 4 programs and watching a recorded program all at the same time. ( I had to buy a new routor for this to work smoothy)

As for coping programs you can add an extra HHD ( has a slot for Portable HHD) or USB and copy to them. You just select the program or the whole series and copy to USB or HHD . It is very easy .
Windows 7 media center will play the file it is your standard MPEG-2 TS video file non-encrypted or protected. I have found that XBMC works very well with the streaming side.
You can also copy the programs over WIFI and save to your computer to play later.

I have had mine for about one month now coming from a TIVO and we all know the TIVO worked very well in the basics of what a PVR is surpost to do ,record tv shows to play back later with no bugs at all straight out of the box 10/10.

The Humax does this basic function well as I have about 20 shows on series record at the moment and it has only missed one (recorded the start and finish but missed the middle) In saying this I have not had the chance to watch all of these shows so hopefully they all recorded properly.8/10
They still have some minor bugs to sort out and I,m shore that they will, mainly in regards to the IP EPG

The media server works very well and is easy to use. You can stream to / from PC, smartphone, tablet. You can even stream Live TV to the portable devices by downloading the apps for them.10/10

I was ready to take the Humax back about 3 weeks ago but decided to continue using it and I'm glad that I did as I'm finding more & more functions and with each software update makes it more user-friendly.

Cheers

Edited by uhf 2

I can't comment on the T3 as I have not used one.

You do not have to use the tin foil any more as you can turn down the sensitivity to the front panel now

I was debating between the 4Tune and the T3, the reason that i went with the 4 tune is manly point 1

1: you can purchase from a bricks and mortar store so any problems you have 2-3 weeks to return, not fit for purpose no questions asked, which I was going to do until the last update, made a massive difference in useably, also can buy on interest free

2: Comes with WIFI 2.4 & 5.Gz build in

3: Easy add extra hard drive with the spare bay behind the front cover, just open the door slide it in.

4: Cheaper than the T3

5: The apps for the mobile devices that interact with the 4 tune are great.

I hate how all tech devices now use customers as beta testers.

I can.t work out how these companys can survive when they release a product that does not work just to be first to release it.

The bad press surely has to to more damage than good as in units sold

One of the main resons that the TIVO was so successful is that it just worked out of the box.

End of Rant

I like the concept of the Humax 4Tune, but it seems to be lacking one important TiVo feature I use constantly. Namely, the LiveTV button which enables you to switch between tuners. It's very convenient having each tuner on a separate channel and being able to just hit the button, knowing you have 30 minutes of the other channel available to watch. I've looked at the user manual for the 4Tune and can't see any mention of being able to switch between the four tuners. Is this possible?

I agree with you 100% and can not work out why no other PVR can do this, I like you used this fuction all the time.

I do know that if the TIVO was released in OZ again its a no brainer I would buy one

Cheers

Edited by uhf 2

• Volunteer

Does the 4Tune have IceTV? I don't see any mention of it, if not how is the built in EPG?

I have two TiVo's currently but they're starting to play up, but I need one that does season pass like the TiVo.

Does the 4Tune have IceTV? I don't see any mention of it, if not how is the built in EPG?

I have two TiVo's currently but they're starting to play up, but I need one that does season pass like the TiVo.

No ICE TV Humax has its own IP EPG (same as ice and TIVO)

It has a choice of 3 EPG , s

The free to air EPG (season pass works with this ,can't stop repeats recording) ,

The Freeview EPG and the

IP EPG which is a combination of the first two and like the TIVO in the sense that it is overhauled by Humax than release via internet.The bonus is that you can go back 7 days and play catch up TV

The season pass works the same as the TIVO , I have not missed any recordings as yet and have over 20 shows set as a season pass. With the last update you have close to the same choices that you have with the TIVO in regards to repeats on/off, how many shows to keep, start finish padding, etc.

Recording direct from IP EPG. you can schedule recordings or shows and whole series from the Guide, tablet , Iphone or PC,the tablet-based guide is by far the best way to check upcoming programing and set recordings. The guide on the Humax 4tune itself is well designed, but it displays only five channels at once, and gives each show a good chunk of screen estate so that moving forward in time from, say, noon to 7.30pm might need 20 clicks of the remote control. Don’t hold down the button or you’re whizzed onto another screen showing the days of the week, so you can rapidly access a different day — it’s usable and attractive, but not close to the ease of use of the app, where you can sweep around all the channels and use a slider to fly through time (screen ahove right). Just tap a show to record it or the whole series

cheers

Edited by uhf 2

• Volunteer

No ICE TV Humax has its own IP EPG (same as ice and TIVO)

It has a choice of 3 EPG , s

The free to air EPG (season pass works with this ,can't stop repeats recording) ,

The Freeview EPG and the

IP EPG which is a combination of the first two and like the TIVO in the sense that it is overhauled by Humax than release via internet.The bonus is that you can go back 7 days and play catch up TV

The season pass works the same as the TIVO , I have not missed any recordings as yet and have over 20 shows set as a season pass. With the last update you have close to the same choices that you have with the TIVO in regards to repeats on/off, how many shows to keep, start finish padding, etc.

Recording direct from IP EPG. you can schedule recordings or shows and whole series from the Guide, tablet , Iphone or PC,the tablet-based guide is by far the best way to check upcoming programing and set recordings. The guide on the Humax 4tune itself is well designed, but it displays only five channels at once, and gives each show a good chunk of screen estate so that moving forward in time from, say, noon to 7.30pm might need 20 clicks of the remote control. Don’t hold down the button or you’re whizzed onto another screen showing the days of the week, so you can rapidly access a different day — it’s usable and attractive, but not close to the ease of use of the app, where you can sweep around all the channels and use a slider to fly through time (screen ahove right). Just tap a show to record it or the whole series

cheers

Thanks uhf, that pretty much answers all of my questions, I think this will be the replacement for the TiVo. :)

I like the idea of the app too.

I thought I saw something about Plex on here someplace..does Plex work with the Humax?

Thx

:)

I just downloaded Plex to see and yes it does you can use it as a media server on PC to stream to Humax . works well. Cannot stream from Humax to PC with Plex ,Haven't spent much time looking though.

I use XBMC to stream from the Humax to PC.

Edited by uhf 2