Tron Legacy - Prepare For Shifting Aspect Ratios

Thanks 709er :) I thought I don't really need/want the 3D BD, DVD or digital copy. What I want to ensure is that the bitrate, audio (i.e. 7.1) and any special features would be the same. Since it hasn't come out yet in the UK I guess I should wait until someone here gets the UK copy.

Cheers,

JSmith :ninja:

It's Disney so it will be the same, their releases are always the same worldwide in regards to video and audio specs (someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was a great Amazon UK deal so I've posted it to help my fellow bargain hunters :)

Order Summary:

Delivery Details: : order will arrive in one delivery

Delivery Method: FREE Super Saver Delivery

Delivery Preference: Group my items into as few deliveries as possible

Subtotal of Items: GBP 27.35

Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00

------

Total before VAT: GBP 27.35

VAT: GBP 0.00

------

Total for this order: GBP 27.35

Payment Total: AUD 44.18**

Dispatch estimate for these items: 18 April 2011

1 "Saw 3D: The Final Chapter (Blu-ray + Blu-ray 3D)"

Tobin Bell; Blu-ray; £12.36

1 "Tron Legacy (Blu-ray 3D + 2D Blu-ray + Digital Copy)"

Michael Sheen; Blu-ray; £14.99

As promised a small review of Tron Legacy...OMG, FMD, HOLY CRAP. End of line

Well almost. Believe everything you have read regarding this BD it's reference all the way and them some. I viewed the 2D version (I don't have a 3d capable projector) and the PQ is to die for and the audio is just insane. This would have to be the first movie (that I've personally heard), where they have used the rear's and treated them like for range fronts. I mean there's panning and then there's panning and when one of those flying machines (the big ones) goes from the rear stage to the front stage it's loud and clear and had me ducking for cover. This was when Flynn fist gets transported into the digital world and gets picked up. Now for those that have just purchased a Seaton Submersive or other brand that's a very capable sub then your in for a treat. Bass here boys and girls is relentless and down right scary at times and I went outside after watching to see if the twin submersives had moved my house a few metres :).

It really delivers a 360 degree sound field and makes you think you have a much larger room than you have (mines only 5m deep by approx 3.5 wide). Dialogue is precise and clear at all times and the last 30mins of this movie will simply blow you away and have you breathing heavy after it. It is simply one of the best BD's I own now. If there is but one complaint it would be the over use of the music where it simply takes over and over powers everything else, but I love the music so it wasn't deal breaker. It just seemed to override the sounds of the bikes in the bike grid match and the engines sounds imo were difficult to hear and appreciate. A little thing but worth mentioning.

A definate must buy just to show off what BD is capable of.

Edited by SimonNo10

As promised a small review of Tron Legacy...OMG, FMD, HOLY CRAP. End of line

Well almost. Believe everything you have read regarding this BD it's reference all the way and them some. I viewed the 2D version (I don't have a 3d capable projector) and the PQ is to die for and the audio is just insane. This would have to be the first movie (that I've personally heard), where they have used the rear's and treated them like for range fronts. I mean there's panning and then there's panning and when one of those flying machines (the big ones) goes from the rear stage to the front stage it's loud and clear and had me ducking for cover. This was when Flynn fist gets transported into the digital world and gets picked up. Now for those that have just purchased a Seaton Submersive or other brand that's a very capable sub then your in for a treat. Bass here boys and girls is relentless and down right scary at times and I went outside after watching to see if the twin submersives had moved my house a few metres :).

It really delivers a 360 degree sound field and makes you think you have a much larger room than you have (mines only 5m deep by approx 3.5 wide). Dialogue is precise and clear at all times and the last 30mins of this movie will simply blow you away and have you breathing heavy after it. It is simply one of the best BD's I own now. If there is but one complaint it would be the over use of the music where it simply takes over and over powers everything else, but I love the music so it wasn't deal breaker. It just seemed to override the sounds of the bikes in the bike grid match and the engines sounds imo were difficult to hear and appreciate. A little thing but worth mentioning.

A definate must buy just to show off what BD is capable of.

+1. Our family viewing last night had 4 jaws dropping (to varying degrees) to the floor. Not a big stretch story wise, but technically dazzling, immersive and like you said, the LFE is incredible.

Loved the Daft Punk score too - reminiscent of Tangerine Dream's Risky Business score. Many similarities to fave films: Flynn's character sometimes Gandalf like and his programme, sometimes Vader like. Great entertainment :)

Just a heads up that UK orders of the 2-movie pack are shipping early - mine shipped last night. I have a US order on the way but am keeping the UK for permanent as all I really want are Tron and Legacy BD's.

Excellent, hopefully mine will ship today or tomorrow!

Just a heads up that UK orders of the 2-movie pack are shipping early - mine shipped last night. I have a US order on the way but am keeping the UK for permanent as all I really want are Tron and Legacy BD's.

Sounds good to me, might have to put the 7.1 back together

Received my copy last Thursday from Amazon US but that was with Priority International Courier :ninja:

Watched on the weekend (2D Bluray via Projector) and AQ and PQ were awesome. While the visuals are easier to appreciate I actually think the DTS-MA 7.1 mix is the standout.

Definitely a popcorn flick for me though as the story line didn't do much for me.

Bit of a random question: how'd you deal with the changing aspect ratios on your projector? Did you just set it up at 1.78:1 for the whole thing?

Bit of a random question: how'd you deal with the changing aspect ratios on your projector? Did you just set it up at 1.78:1 for the whole thing?

We watched on the PJ last Friday and left our screen (without the bottom matt) at 16:9. The aspect ratio changes were not often and when they did change (from memory), they lasted quite some time. I actually thought that it added to the impact of the visuals. Didn't bother me at all :)

We watched on the PJ last Friday and left our screen (without the bottom matt) at 16:9. The aspect ratio changes were not often and when they did change (from memory), they lasted quite some time. I actually thought that it added to the impact of the visuals. Didn't bother me at all :)

Sounds awesome!

I was only asking as I've got a 2.35:1 screen and adjusted my projector to a 16:9 ratio for The Dark Knight's IMAX scenes. That was only useful for the big action scenes (and several other random shots) though, as all the other scenes were displayed with a smaller 2.35:1 image about half the usual size. :P

Will probably be the same with Tron, I suppose...

Edited by white_knight

Just watched this last night.

I wasn't expecting much and I was so pleasantly surprised. It felt like I was watching something that will go down as a milestone in Sci-Fi.

And the Sound, everything you've read on how good it is, is spot on and then some. Just mind blowing, absolutely mind blowing. I can't think of any other movie that comes close. The bar has been raised, this one's a game changer. Forget about War of The Worlds with LFE. It's the first movie at home where I've questioned if I need a better Sub, I don't think mine kept up with the pace all that well.

The Soundtrack is phenomenal, but then I like this type of music. It's got a game changing feel like Vangelis was to Bladerunner. I didn't find the soundtrack overpowering the bike scenes or speech, everything was crystal clear for me.

Yes, I noticed the intro said shifting aspect rations. I played this in 2.35 and there were no shifting aspect ratios for me, i.e. my whole screen was filled with the image for the entirety of the movie. Anyone else care to comment?

I'm still gobsmacked.

Edited by SonofGherkin

Can't seem to access that Disney Second Screen app they're talking about. Tried searching in the app store and nothing shows up. Tried going through here and again nothing.

Anyone know if this is simply not available for us in Australia? It says at the bottom of this page "not available in all territories". Pretty ridiculous given the 'world wide web' is "world wide" :rolleyes:

Cheers

Can't seem to access that Disney Second Screen app they're talking about. Tried searching in the app store and nothing shows up. Tried going through here and again nothing.

Anyone know if this is simply not available for us in Australia? It says at the bottom of this page "not available in all territories". Pretty ridiculous given the 'world wide web' is "world wide" :rolleyes:

Cheers

it works on the 3d version just finished watching it

it works on the 3d version just finished watching it

How did you get the app for the iPad?

I can't even access it from my iPad. When I hit that link to download the app all I get is an error "Cannot complete request". When I search for it in the app store I can't even find it.

Just finished watching it, nice track :D There's a great shake your house LFE moment at 00:23:15 right when

Sam gets zapped into the computer and lands in the seat

:o The disc and cycle battles are definitely on the demo list ;)

Btw I found the

CG version of Flynn and Clu sub par and hence a little unnerving and distracting from the experience. All the rest of the CG was spectacular. I recall James Cameron found they had to dial back the human look when they created the Na'vi in Avatar, having seen the efforts in Tron I can see what he was referring to, there's something unnatural about it that is distracting. I think if they had've used prosthetics/makeup on Bridges we would have noticed but it may not have had that distracting unnatural feel to it. I'm surprised they went CG on this and I think they were hoping it wouldn't stand out, but it does and I noticed it as soon as I saw the young versions of Flynn.

Cheers

Edited by MACCA350

Yes, I noticed the intro said shifting aspect rations. I played this in 2.35 and there were no shifting aspect ratios for me, i.e. my whole screen was filled with the image for the entirety of the movie. Anyone else care to comment?

Shifting ratio is for normal 16:9 widescreen TV where 2.35:1 movie will have black bars top and bottom. With shifting ratio like Tron almost all action scenes will fill the whole 16:9 screen. It feels like suddenly moving from normal cinema to Imax. A permanent scope setup will have top and bottom picture always cut out so you will not notice any difference when comes to those Imax time. May be you can watch it again on a normal 16:9 TV to see what it is about.

There's a great shake your house LFE moment at 00:23:15

Yep that was awesome. I like the bass when the transport picks Sam up, the music there is incredible as during the disc battles. All up an outstanding mix.

Films like this, TDK, TF2 (Wallmart ed) that have dual ARs are actually CIW encodes on disc. So when we watch these on a CIH system, we chop off not only the black bars, but the portions that would make the image 16:9 as well. Because of the way the shots are composed, you lose no story telling information and the scenes work perfectly for CIH.

Different aspect ratios didn't bother me. The movie itself looked (except the CG Flynn) and sounded fantastic... but the story was basically a repackage of the original and lacked much depth (much like the original). I still enjoyed the movie, but didn't love it.

It would help if they actually finish the script next time before filming starts on the sequel.

Panasonic 65 inch (VT20) 3D TV and Tron Legacy (3D Blu-ray)

This is where a 3D TV and a movie actually shot in 3D come into their own! Awesome!! :D

Buying the 3D Tron Legacy Blu-ray wasn't cheap - $40 (plus because it has just hit the shelves) - but it was well worth it.

The Daft Punk movie sound track also gave my Sub a work over as well :D

(Sorry for the double post - posted the same comment in the 3D TV section - but thought it might also be relevant here)

I picked up 3D Tron Legacy today from Woolworths. It was expensive but just watched it and worth every cent.

There is a warning at the start of the movie that tells you that some scenes are 2D. Once they are on the grid thought its all 3D.

It's really the first movie we have sat down and watched all the way thru since connecting both of my submersives. Maybe I have them running hot at -16 but boy is it fun watching a movie with scenes like the light cycle fight in this movie.

The 3D is great(Panasonic VT20A 65) and although I find the glasses annoying at first, I soon forget about them.

I noticed nothing weird in the movie so not sure about any shifting aspect rations. I saw it at the movies in 3D and it was much better at home but probably because of the sound. Tonight was a culmination of a few things,

new OPPO 95, connected up 2nd SubM and watching on my now wall mounted plasma, plus I got in first and sat in the best recliner seat right dead centre of screen.

The BD comes with a 2D copy as well for those without 3D TV. :D :D

Edited by bradp51

Sounds excellent, I'm hoping my disc arrives very shortly from Amazon UK. With the OPPO 95 still coming then hopefully the PS3 will hold up in the mean-time. I live in an apartment so I think the neighbours are in for a treat on a school night :o