Pet Hate - Movie End Credits Being Oblitirated

Some TV channels think that promoting their own TV shows is so damn important that as soon as a movie ends they squash the movie credits to the bottom of the screen (totally unreadable) and blast you with loud promos for their own TV shows.

I am completed p*ssed off at this point and stop watching.

I like to enjoy the end credits as this is a time to reflect on the movie and enjoy the end sound track.

Nothing worse than just watching a very moving movie with an emotional and delicate ending and then immediately get hit over the head with these stupid and needless program promotions which rob you of enjoying the end of the movie.

It’s totally pointless and fricking annoying.

At the movie theatre I always sit through the entire credits.

Was doing this before “A Bugs Life” which I recall most of the people at the theatre had left and missed all the great pretend outtakes.

There are many movies that have bits during the credits or at the end of the credits.

So TV programmers, STOP spoiling the end of movies with your self-promotion crap.

Hear hear.

I totally agree with you. At the end of movies my wife and I like to see who sang the various songs on the soundtrack etc. and the cast list. Absolutely no chance of reading the end credits for that.

Do you ever think that those who run the TV stations will please their audience....no way, as they are a self serving bunch of morons.

Oh! and watch out for the weekends when they leave the work release students in charge

Regards

Lance

Posting complaints on a web forum does nothing. The sole thing that the networks will take notice of is if sufficient people stop watching (and that is reflected in the dodgey ratings figures).
Australian networks certainly don't seem to take any notice of viewers' opinions, doing almost the opposite in response, but complaining here and finding we're far from alone with our viewing annoyances it makes us feel better. And it'd be nice to think that eventually when even the most carefully massaged ratings can't be elevated above abysmal, they might read some old posts here and see why we've gone elsewhere for our televisual entertainment <_<

So TV programmers, STOP spoiling the end of movies with your self-promotion crap.
To be fair to the programmers, many (most?) credits take 5+ minutes to scroll through these days. I'm one of the few that usually watch credits after a movie in the cinemas (quite peaceful after people have moved out). However can you imagine a modern network executive trying to explain to his boss how 90% of the channel's viewers just spent five minutes getting hooked on a rival stations offering?

I assume its just a legal requirement to "show" the credits these days. In Europe I found they'd largely dispensed with them altogether and after the fade to black they just popped up the production company logo and moved on to the next show.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I assume its just a legal requirement to "show" the credits these days. In Europe I found they'd largely dispensed with them altogether and after the fade to black they just popped up the production company logo and moved on to the next show.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I remember watching a Van Damme movie that was recorded off Greek TV and noticed that as soon as the film ended, boom the next program started! I really hope it doesnt get that bad here

Yes I was going to raise this point.

I thought a network could get in trouble for NOT showing the credits.

A breach of the Broadcasting Act or something

I assume its just a legal requirement to "show" the credits these days.

Not if the actions of Channel 7 are anything to go by. Many times, 7 have removed the entire credits from movies...except for the end logo. They do this commonly for midday movies but they also killed the credits in the Merryl Streep movie The River Wild which was shown in primetime. 7 really do take the cake for ruining the end of televised movies.

Edited by tribal-warrior

7 really do take the cake for ruining the end of televised movies.

The movie Madagascar was another recent channel 7 victim of this.

The stupid thing was that 7 in their wisdom promoted Madagascar 2 right over the end credits of Madagascar 1.

It went on for ages.

What an insult! I can read a programme guide, I can use an EPG, and I don't need or appreciate this kind of needless promotion.

Channel 7, this kind of self promotion is the height of futility.

The movie Madagascar was another recent channel 7 victim of this.

The stupid thing was that 7 in their wisdom promoted Madagascar 2 right over the end credits of Madagascar 1.

It went on for ages.

What an insult! I can read a programme guide, I can use an EPG, and I don't need or appreciate this kind of needless promotion.

+1

this and the magical mystery scheduling makes it seem like they don't want viewers

Why on earth would you think that? Its anything but futile. Leaving aside the fact you're only talking about yourself and how channel 7 might better cater to your sensibilities, which of the following two scenarios is more realistic:

Channel 7 show an extended promotion about a soon to air sequel to a show a bunch of people just watched (i.e. perfectly targeted) in response to not being able to read the credits:

1) A significant number of people decided not to watch the sequel in disgust.

2) A significant number of people decided to watch the sequel.

Regards

Peter Gillespie