7 Going Hd And 7mate Going Sd?

Musical chairs again for the hd programs :winky: Bones and ugly betty winners ;warehouse13 and caprica bad luck [ or is this why warehouse 13 was just lost from the schedules?]

7two is no great loss ; George and mildred not so hot ..

No doubt primehd will juggle 576i and 1080i resolutions once again ; of course my 2400 will still handle 4 recordings on 2 muxes without crapping itself due to pre padding in a different res :mellow:

Edited by cwt

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this something that would be possible for the commercial channels to do given the current technical limitations? I know ABC use stat-muxing to achieve what they do (which they do very well - I am amazed at times how good ABC1 can look given it is only SD).

720p can look pretty darn good if it's done properly - before ABC ruined their HD channel with news 24, shows that were broadcast in native HD looked superb (Librarians, Gruen Transfer etc). SBS waste their HD channel for the most part, but again when they have shown stuff in true HD (Ashes last year, world cup) it shows it can be done.

I've got a few things from "alternate sources" in 720p and the quality can be very nice indeed. :)

I can't see it happening, but I'd take HD in 720p from the FTA stations anyday of the week compared to some of the rubbish we get served up now.

Dave.

ESPNHD is 720p and it looks fantastic. Comparing NFL games on ESPNHD and ONE HD is like chalk and cheese.

Interesting to read GEM's figures there...one wonders if their 2.5% figure may have improved with the addition of HD cricket! :P

The figure would have looked slightly worse as Nine would have coded it to give the ratings points to the Primary Channel and not to GEM - cricket is out of prime time hours so the effect would have minimal to ratings

Just because its on facebook it must be genuine,please you's arent that stupid.Channel 7 has a web site theres no need for them to have a facebook site.

The guy that runs the TVtonight web site checked with seven and confirmed the face book page is not official.

He mentioned it in response to a comment, but I can't remember which article it was under.

I've got a few things from "alternate sources" in 720p and the quality can be very nice indeed. :)

That's irrelevant. Comparing an offline encoded high efficiency H.264 MPEG-4 720p video file with our far less efficient MPEG-2 woefully inadequate bitrate 720p realtime encoded broadcast transmissions is like comparing chalk and cheese!

ESPNHD is 720p and it looks fantastic. Comparing NFL games on ESPNHD and ONE HD is like chalk and cheese.

Again, irrelevant and an apples and oranges comparison.

ESPN HD uses H.264 MPEG compression and at 7.5 Mbps looks as good as MPEG-2 encoded at around 14 Mbps.

Do we have ~14 Mbps MPEG-2 720p broadcasts on FTA? No. Our crappy FTA 720p broadcasts are 7.5-8.5 Mbps so will naturally look massively inferior to the Foxtel HD 720p broadcasts and online 720p encodings.

So be careful about claiming "720p looks fantastic" by making accurate comparisons.

Again, irrelevant and an apples and oranges comparison.

ESPN HD uses H.264 MPEG compression and at 7.5 Mbps looks as good as MPEG-2 encoded at around 14 Mbps.

Do we have ~14 Mbps MPEG-2 720p broadcasts on FTA? No. Our crappy FTA 720p broadcasts are 7.5-8.5 Mbps so will naturally look massively inferior to the Foxtel HD 720p broadcasts and online 720p encodings.

So be careful about claiming "720p looks fantastic" by making accurate comparisons.

Unless I mis-read what hidefdave meant, he said that 720p can look good if 'done properly'...ESPNHD is an example of it 'done properly' (to my eyeballs anyway)

Unless I mis-read what hidefdave meant, he said that 720p can look good if 'done properly'...ESPNHD is an example of it 'done properly' (to my eyeballs anyway)

I do realise that 720p MPEG2 v 720p MPEG4 is an apples and oranges argument. Unfortunately we're stuck with the former in this country for the moment. But as I said in my original post about 720p 'being done properly' I highlighted what ABC and SBS have done in the past as examples. ABC HD particularly (before news 24). And they did it with 3 other SD channels.

I realise it probably won't happen, but if the commercial stations were able to use the available bandwidth as efficiently as ABC have done (and provide an HD simulcast channel at 720p), it would go a long way to appeasing those of us here who lament the lack of quality HD programming on FTA TV.

Dave.

I realise it probably won't happen, but if the commercial stations were able to use the available bandwidth as efficiently as ABC have done (and provide an HD simulcast channel at 720p), it would go a long way to appeasing those of us here who lament the lack of quality HD programming on FTA TV.

Dave.

+1

Dave.

-1, because if we gave them permission to have 4 channels (1 HD + 3 SD), the next thing they would do is try to show 4 things simultaneously instead of 3.

Don't you see, the history of digital TV (in this country, and around the world) has been a battle between HD and multichannels. Every time a new technology or tweak allows HD to improve, the same thing allows networks to cram another channel in.

It's always been the way -- from the invention of DVB-T, to the cramming in of another 4 megabits ten years ago, to the New Zealanders using MPEG-4 to cram more into less, or when the MPEG-2 encoders improved, the Australian networks squeezed ONE SD, GO and 7TWO in next to 1080i (and ABC3 squeezed in with 720p).

The original allocation in 1999 was for one 1080i channel per DVB-T network. No doubt when DVB-T2 starts one day and adds 30% capacity, the same thing will happen.