Is There An Alternative To Green Glue?

Ted - did you say a few posts back that isolation materials under studs doesn't work

Right. I'm sure what you have is fine. Won't help, but may not hurt. The risk is that a low-mass layer may allow for flanking. Best to simply seal the bottom plate of the wall to the slab with sealant.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

For a few years now I have been telling anyone on this forum that will listen that Greenglue and Quietglue are the same type of product with the same performance. Some such as Ted have been quick to point to a Greenglue white paper which says that Greenglue is better. Like sometimes happens there have been many to put their foot in the ring and say that Greenglue is better and that they got bad results with Quietglue (which I know is not possible, so have always wondered at these sources :o ).

I have pointed out for years, that the Greenglue white paper indicates that the 2 products were not tested the same. It is easy for a lay person to gloss over this. Greenglue supplied a pre-prepared panel while the Quietglue panel was manufactured on site. There is just no way that the differences that were indicated should have existed.

Despite this it is interesting to read this thread with no mention of the product. People have accepted as fact something which it turns out is not correct.

Quietrock has now run their own independent lab tests, using the exact same lab Greenglue did back in 2005. They tested Greenglue and Quietglue in the exact same tests used in 2005 and the lab found that they could not replicate the test data from 2005. In fact the recent tests indicated that Quietglue was slightly superior. Go figure? You can read into that what you will :huh: . Personally, it’s nice to be proven right after being maligned by some.

People forget that Quiet Solutions developed the first damping glue compound for the building industry back in 2002 and continue to pioneer the way with products like the THX certified 545 board.

So where are we now? Quietrock has now released Quietglue Pro. It’s an improved formula. So basically, the old formula Quietglue was better than Greenglue. The new product is even better again. Best of all, the new product is 30% cheaper than Greenglue!!! :P:D

In Australia, Quietglue has always been cheaper, which I have pointed out many times.

So this thread asks if there is an alternative to Greenglue? The answer is yes. And the alternative is better and cheaper.

Yes, I am the Australian distributor. We will be setting up a new website soon to allow you to take advantage of the new prices.

You can read the white paper here QuietgluePro vs Greenglue White Paper

Happy reading.

Regards,

David

But they're not the same product at all David, you should know this since you distribute their product.

"However, the claims that QuietGlue and Green Glue are almost identical, same properties, same results, simply aren't true. It has been said by QS on this forum that in their testing QuietGlue and Green Glue have no difference in damping or modulus. Well modulus, in essence, is hardness/stiffness, etc. I invite anybody anywhere to just dry the two glues and see for themselves that that statement is simply wrong." :rolleyes:

From: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....8310&page=2

Great quote from AVS: Well, I have personally found Green glue to be very expensive! Here's why: After using the darned stuff for sound isolation in my theatre, I can't hear what's going on in the rest of the house! I've had to purchase a new phone system with room monitoring to make sure the kids are alright! I can't say that other products don't work well, but I can say that GG has performed well above my expectations in our theatre.

A more serious note from AVS: "As a bit of an aside, this is an interesting experiment anybody can do at home.

A) buy 2 or more glues

B) trowel some onto a piece of drywall or something and throw them in the corner, let dry for a month

C) see which one is stiffer

There is something called a coincidence dip that occurs in walls. For a wall built with all 5/8" drywall plus glue, this will occur at a frequency between the 1250hz band and the 2500hz band. The stiffer the glue the lower in frequency the coincidence dip will occur. The softer glue having the higher frequency of coincidence.

To get a "critical frequency" that is higher than you got with wahtever soft glue you utlized you can

A) use more fo said soft glue to drive the critical frequency up

B) test said soft glue before it thoroughly dries (it'll be softer when still wet)

But you absolutely, positively, cannot, cannot, cannot, get the critical frequency and associated coincidence dip to be higher in frequency when using a harder glue."

David, much of your commentary is simply incorrect. You clearly have an axe to grind (as we say here in the States) however it's not worth debating, frankly.

I applaud Quiet Solutions for improving their formula over the years, and we always appreciate objective data when available.

There are inconsistencies in their report, there has been no statistically relevant difference in performance presented, and Green Glue is less expensive here in the States. Not much more worth discussing.

Hi Everyone,

For a few years now I have been telling anyone on this forum that will listen that Greenglue and Quietglue are the same type of product with the same performance.

So this thread asks if there is an alternative to Greenglue? The answer is yes. And the alternative is better and cheaper.

Regards,

David

You can't have it both ways. 'Same type of product with the SAME performance'

Then 'it's better and cheaper'

How can it be? If they're the same type of product, how can one be better than the other? Would they not be the SAME?

But they're not the same product at all David, you should know this since you distribute their product.

"However, the claims that QuietGlue and Green Glue are almost identical, same properties, same results, simply aren't true. It has been said by QS on this forum that in their testing QuietGlue and Green Glue have no difference in damping or modulus. Well modulus, in essence, is hardness/stiffness, etc. I invite anybody anywhere to just dry the two glues and see for themselves that that statement is simply wrong." :rolleyes:

From: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....8310&page=2

Great quote from AVS: Well, I have personally found Green glue to be very expensive! Here's why: After using the darned stuff for sound isolation in my theatre, I can't hear what's going on in the rest of the house! I've had to purchase a new phone system with room monitoring to make sure the kids are alright! I can't say that other products don't work well, but I can say that GG has performed well above my expectations in our theatre.

A more serious note from AVS: "As a bit of an aside, this is an interesting experiment anybody can do at home.

A) buy 2 or more glues

B) trowel some onto a piece of drywall or something and throw them in the corner, let dry for a month

C) see which one is stiffer

There is something called a coincidence dip that occurs in walls. For a wall built with all 5/8" drywall plus glue, this will occur at a frequency between the 1250hz band and the 2500hz band. The stiffer the glue the lower in frequency the coincidence dip will occur. The softer glue having the higher frequency of coincidence.

To get a "critical frequency" that is higher than you got with wahtever soft glue you utlized you can

A) use more fo said soft glue to drive the critical frequency up

B) test said soft glue before it thoroughly dries (it'll be softer when still wet)

But you absolutely, positively, cannot, cannot, cannot, get the critical frequency and associated coincidence dip to be higher in frequency when using a harder glue."

Yes, I am the distributor, like Ted is trying to sell GG.

As the author of this thread, you have gone from asking for alternatives to eductating me. Interesting turn of events. Didn't see that one coming.

Have you actually done the tests you are talking about or just repeating what other people have written?

I just decided to go downstairs and do something I haven't done for a long time. Pull apart 2 peices of plasterboard glued with Quietglue. The sample I used was 3 years old (I think that qualifies as long enough curing time). Since this is a small sample, I simply twisted the 2 layers of the sample, creating shear forces and it twisted apart. And what do you know, the quietglue was still soft and tacky!

Neither GG or Quietglue are actually truly glues. Both are glue and screw systems.

The white paper is there for everyone to read.

David, much of your commentary is simply incorrect. You clearly have an axe to grind (as we say here in the States) however it's not worth debating, frankly.

I applaud Quiet Solutions for improving their formula over the years, and we always appreciate objective data when available.

There are inconsistencies in their report, there has been no statistically relevant difference in performance presented, and Green Glue is less expensive here in the States. Not much more worth discussing.

We have another saying here in Australia 'the pot calling the kettle black.' Being Australian however it gets shortened to simply 'Pot,Kettle.'

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this the same independent lab used to test GG?

Funny, I have always said that there were inconsistencies in the white paper GG put out.

I can assure you that 12 tubes Quietglue Pro is $119 USD in the states. GG is $175/case on your own website. I agree it's not worth discussing. You clearly are having trouble working this out.

Yes, I am the distributor, like Ted is trying to sell GG.

As the author of this thread, you have gone from asking for alternatives to eductating me. Interesting turn of events. Didn't see that one coming.

Have you actually done the tests you are talking about or just repeating what other people have written?

I just decided to go downstairs and do something I haven't done for a long time. Pull apart 2 peices of plasterboard glued with Quietglue. The sample I used was 3 years old (I think that qualifies as long enough curing time). Since this is a small sample, I simply twisted the 2 layers of the sample, creating shear forces and it twisted apart. And what do you know, the quietglue was still soft and tacky!

Neither GG or Quietglue are actually truly glues. Both are glue and screw systems.

The white paper is there for everyone to read.

I quoted some info from AVS that seems to contradict your 'white paper', that's all. It piked my interest and I wanted to see for myself whether the claims were in fact true or just marketing bs as I haven't done my room just yet so would swap the GG for QG if it was indeed better, but all I find is contradicting information which just confuses the matter even more.... See where it says 'A more serious note from AVS:' I then provided the links.

Still waiting on the price of QG here in Australia..

Maybe you should have a think about this quote you made only yesterday:

Same type of product with the SAME performance'

How can it be? If they're the same type of product, how can one be better than the other? Would they not be the SAME?

If one is better than the other then it doesn't take a genius to deduce they are two different products.

You seem to be taking this a little personally, it's just glue at the end of the day. It's not like you made the product yourself, you're a distributor and importer only.

I quoted some info from AVS that seems to contradict your 'white paper', that's all. It piked my interest and I wanted to see for myself whether the claims were in fact true or just marketing bs as I haven't done my room just yet so would swap the GG for QG if it was indeed better, but all I find is contradicting information which just confuses the matter even more.... See where it says 'A more serious note from AVS:' I then provided the links.

Still waiting on the price of QG here in Australia..

Maybe you should have a think about this quote you made only yesterday:

Same type of product with the SAME performance'

If one is better than the other then it doesn't take a genius to deduce they are two different products.

You seem to be taking this a little personally, it's just glue at the end of the day. It's not like you made the product yourself, you're a distributor and importer only.

I have been saying for years that they are the same type of product. I was shouted down time and again, how there is no way that they are the same. You can check some of my old posts. I just think this whole thing is funny. It's typical forum stuff. I would think you would be familiar with this.

Yes, Quietglue & Quietglue Pro tested better. Yes the differences are small. For years GG have been claiming the exact opposite. Once again, I just find this whole thing funny.

I would not be changing your GG for Quietglue. I am sure you would get great results from either. For other people in Australia, there is now a much cheaper alternative, which will save money, with at least as good or if not slightly better perfomance. All you need to know is that both products are effective damping coumpounds and dampening compounds are one tool in the fight against sound transmission.

The approx price in Australia will be A$150/case inc GST. I will confirm this once we have landed our first shipment. I am happy to offer fourm members better prices of this shipment. PM or call me if interested.

Edited by Wavetrain

Hi David, you are obviously having a good time in this and the other thread. I am looking forward to seeing the results in my ne theatre. However, I think that you have misconstrued Rich's post - he was quoting someone on AVS about the impact of GG. I am not sure whether he has used it or not, but take his word that he is honestly looking at options.

Hi Tony,

You are right, I misread that sentence. I have deleted the comment.

Thanks, for pointing that out.

David

I just think this whole thing is funny. It's typical forum stuff.

Then you should know what to expect. Nobody asks you to come here. It's your choice. What I find is your attitude is highly defensive in nature when products you happen to sell come under close scrutiny. That is "typical distributor" behaviour in my book. The same defensive posture has been shown when anyone takes Cary to task on this forum too ;)

If the QG product is so good it'll speak for itself and punters should do their own research in any case. I find "white papers" from opposing companies and their respective zealots often dubious. They should be taken with a grain of salt at the very least.

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

I have been saying for years that they are the same type of product. I was shouted down time and again, how there is no way that they are the same. You can check some of my old posts. I just think this whole thing is funny. It's typical forum stuff. I would think you would be familiar with this.

You said they were the same product, my question was logical: If they are the same (your words) how can one be better than the other? A simple question that deserves to be answered. If you don't want to answer me, that's fine too.

Yes, Quietglue & Quietglue Pro tested better. Yes the differences are small. For years GG have been claiming the exact opposite. Once again, I just find this whole thing funny.

I would not be changing your GG for Quietglue. I am sure you would get great results from either. For other people in Australia, there is now a much cheaper alternative, which will save money, with at least as good or if not slightly better perfomance. All you need to know is that both products are effective damping coumpounds and dampening compounds are one tool in the fight against sound transmission.

The approx price in Australia will be A$150/case inc GST. I will confirm this once we have landed our first shipment. I am happy to offer fourm members better prices of this shipment. PM or call me if interested.

What I said was : Great quote from AVS: Well, I have personally found Green glue to be very expensive! Here's why: After using the darned stuff for sound isolation in my theatre, I can't hear what's going on in the rest of the house! I've had to purchase a new phone system with room monitoring to make sure the kids are alright! I can't say that other products don't work well, but I can say that GG has performed well above my expectations in our theatre.

I didn't say I have used it yet. Read my posts properly before posting please.

What I said was : Great quote from AVS: Well, I have personally found Green glue to be very expensive! Here's why: After using the darned stuff for sound isolation in my theatre, I can't hear what's going on in the rest of the house! I've had to purchase a new phone system with room monitoring to make sure the kids are alright! I can't say that other products don't work well, but I can say that GG has performed well above my expectations in our theatre.

I didn't say I have used it yet. Read my posts properly before posting please.

Agreed. I misread the post, which was deleted. My apologies.

Then you should know what to expect. Nobody asks you to come here. It's your choice. What I find is your attitude is highly defensive in nature when products you happen to sell come under close scrutiny. That is "typical distributor" behaviour in my book. The same defensive posture has been shown when anyone takes Cary to task on this forum too ;)

If the QG product is so good it'll speak for itself and punters should do their own research in any case. I find "white papers" from opposing companies and their respective zealots often dubious. They should be taken with a grain of salt at the very least.

Blade

:D

Agreed. I misread the post, which was deleted. My apologies.

"I would not be changing your GG for Quietglue. I am sure you would get great results from either. For other people in Australia"

If I'm reading this right, you're saying you won't sell the QG to me? Is that correct?

[quote If I'm reading this right, you're saying you won't sell the QG to me? Is that correct?

Rich, I think that you are reading too much into it. David is a very good distributer and I am sure he will sell to anyone - and provide any support that is needed for the product. I can vouch for this from personal experience.

"I would not be changing your GG for Quietglue. I am sure you would get great results from either. For other people in Australia"

If I'm reading this right, you're saying you won't sell the QG to me? Is that correct?

No. I am happy to sell it to you. I thought you said above that you already had the GG and would change it over if QG Pro is better. I am saying I wouldn't bother. Any difference is going to be minor. I would not want anyone to waste money for no reason.

Regards,

David

No. I am happy to sell it to you. I thought you said above that you already had the GG and would change it over if QG Pro is better. I am saying I wouldn't bother. Any difference is going to be minor. I would not want anyone to waste money for no reason.

Regards,

David

Well, David I hope you won't be disappointed if I agree with you.

• 7 years later...

I spend my last summer vacation in Australia. My uncle wanted me to sound dampen his house using locally and cheap materials. The only material that came into my mind was green glue but I couldn't source locally. I was lucky to source some materials such as Mass loaded vinyls, red glue, quiet rock and others. Here is a good resource of some of green glue alternatives you can find for cheap. https://andrewmat.com/green-glue-alternative/

• Like 1

On 07/01/2019 at 8:25 PM, TanyaMadsen said:

I spend my last summer vacation in Australia. My uncle wanted me to sound dampen his house using locally and cheap materials. The only material that came into my mind was green glue but I couldn't source locally. I was lucky to source some materials such as Mass loaded vinyls, red glue, quiet rock and others. Here is a good resource of some of green glue alternatives you can find for cheap. https://andrewmat.com/green-glue-alternative/

Thanks Tanya,

that's a great link!

cheers

Mike