Just Got My 65" Vt20 3d Pana

which slides, d-nice',s or another, and did you find it straight forward to use re. changing system menu options and the like.

i only ask because ive got a 54inch being delivered and am considering just letting it go on normal tv for the 100 hours

cheers again,

neil

Yes, D Nice's slides. The menu options are very easy to change. I'm not sure that THX setting is available on the smaller models though.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally +1 I have this set at home on trial and for BR the pq is stunning. However very dissapointed :( with the way it handles FTA content which is the majority of my viewing

Interesting about the FTA being disappointing. Is that using the inbuilt tuner? I use the dual tuner in my HTPC and I find the FTA much better than on my previous Sony SXRD. Though I don't watch much any more as my viewing is mainly BDs and HD shows that I have got from other sources. Seeing that FTA has turned HD into a farce in this country, it's just as well there are alternatives. Who wants to waste a TV of this calibre watching SD?

Yes, D Nice's slides. The menu options are very easy to change. I'm not sure that THX setting is available on the smaller models though.

cheers, yeah i am not sure either, i looked at panasonics website and it says nothing, also i just wanted to ask if you returned to original settings in the system menu, because supposedly they are all individual to each tv and cannot be regained by resetting the picture settings, or did u tweak it a bit?

cheers

neil

Totally +1 I have this set at home on trial and for BR the pq is stunning. However very dissapointed :( with the way it handles FTA content which is the majority of my viewing

As Pietro says, I think it is very unfair to blame the TV for how it handles FTA. The HD channels are a farce. Gem and 7Mate rarely have anything worth watching..........!

I watch mostly Foxtel HD channels or BD/HD movies. These are just fine. I've had a few very highly regarded upscaling devices and yet to see any that can overcome poor resolution sources. EG. LOTR DVD's must be the best quality SD material I've owned and the BD versions are only a minor improvement. But most SD aren't a patch on genuine HD sources.

As Pietro says, I think it is very unfair to blame the TV for how it handles FTA. The HD channels are a farce. Gem and 7Mate rarely have anything worth watching..........!

I watch mostly Foxtel HD channels or BD/HD movies. These are just fine. I've had a few very highly regarded upscaling devices and yet to see any that can overcome poor resolution sources. EG. LOTR DVD's must be the best quality SD material I've owned and the BD versions are only a minor improvement. But most SD aren't a patch on genuine HD sources.

I have only had this for a week or so and comparing with my PZ700A 50 iinch which is still in the next room I am very happy with the PQ. It varies depending on channel of course but on the dynamic, cinema or THX setting it looks great.

the other settings are okay as well but THX is very natural. BD is great and so is DVD.

As I do not have cable and do not watch much TV anyway I am quite happy when something like "A few good men" comes on Gem.

Worth every cent.

I think anyone would be happy with this TV. Now to wall mount it.

Edited by bradp51

I have only had this for a week or so and comparing with my PZ700A 50 iinch which is still in the next room I am very happy with the PQ. It varies depending on channel of course but on the dynamic, cinema or THX setting it looks great.

the other settings are okay as well but THX is very natural. BD is great and so is DVD.

As I do not have cable and do not watch much TV anyway I am quite happy when something like "A few good men" comes on Gem.

Worth every cent.

I think anyone would be happy with this TV. Now to wall mount it.

good to hear mate....enjoy

I have the TH-65PZ850A and I have seen the 65" Vt20 and I can't judge the picture quality with this TV as I saw it in a Harvey Norman with all the fluoro lights and everything but I still prefer the build quality of the TH-65PZ850A. I'm sure the picture quality is an improvement on the Vt20, but build quality wise I still prefer the 850A!

:D

Brad did you see this post re James Cameron's settings Here

Hi Rob,

thanks for that. Will have a look. Lots of settings to play with on this TV. Mailed my Avatar 3D offer by registered post cost $3.60 on tuesday. Also about to go wild on some 2 for $30 BD deal at JB hifi online.

I have the TH-65PZ850A and I have seen the 65" Vt20 and I can't judge the picture quality with this TV as I saw it in a Harvey Norman with all the fluoro lights and everything but I still prefer the build quality of the TH-65PZ850A. I'm sure the picture quality is an improvement on the Vt20, but build quality wise I still prefer the 850A!

:D

Hi what is better on the older model ? I nearly bought an 850A a while back but they wanted about $6500 for it then if I remember and it was a shop display.

Thing that impresses me about the VT20A is the adjustability of the picture. You can even memorise settings for SD and HD Tv separately

Really keen to know difference in build quality. VT20A is made in Japan.

I have a 50 inch 700A and have only looked at PQ difference must admit not looked at chassis quality.

• 6 years later...

I'm thinking of buying one of these (65-vt20) to replace a 63 inch samsung lcd. Can pickup a mint condition (cosmetically) for around 800 bucks which I think is not a bad deal.

A 7 year old plasma, supposed Panasonic flagship model vs a crappy LCD samsung with damaged screen coating,crappy motion and ordinary contrast. (I only used windex on it and the coating came off and looks terrible)

I had the VT50 50 inch version of this the last one made in Japan and really regret selling it.

I'll have no warranty of course.. but I think it might be worth the risk as they seem reliable.

Use a good set top box for free to air NOT the internal tuner.

Old Panasonic's filter the input from the internal tuner resulting in an unnecessarily soft image. I have seen other brands with the same issue as well.

I picked up a low use 65-VT30 for $600.00 last year and have set up a second HT sound around it - could not be happier with my buy.

Reviews point to what Owen said re Panasonic Plasma internal tuners softening the image and the use of a set top box as the solution. Not a concern for me as the Pana 65 is 99% streamed from the home server..

My understanding is that Windex is a big no no as it contains ammonia and will strip screen coatings. Use an ammonia free spray for any screen.