Panasonic Viera Th-p54v20a

Firmware has nothing to do with it.I had the same thing with a BD player and Pana told me i had to send it to a service centre.I wasn't going to have my time wasted like that so i just took it back to DSE for a full refund. B) Any normal company would have a simple 4 digit remote code to region free the player that they could give you over the phone. Panasonic will likely call this not a waste of your time though but simply a "Feature" :D

My BD Panasonic player was made region free (for DVD's, not BD) by the shop I brought it from, using a special remote. Took about 2 minutes. Wouldn't call that abnormal or **** can Panasonic for that, it is just the way it is. My original Philips DVD player was the same.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my p54v20a after a 4 week wait,just wanted to ask how to I go about recording a tv show with this USB record feature,first of I plugged in my western digital passport 320gb harddrive and the tv picked up the drive registered it and then formated it,my problem is how do I get it to start recording a show,I tried pressing the red button on the remote but nothing happens,and I can't see any record option in the menues,is there an easy way to do this.

I just got my p54v20a after a 4 week wait,just wanted to ask how to I go about recording a tv show with this USB record feature,first of I plugged in my western digital passport 320gb harddrive and the tv picked up the drive registered it and then formated it,my problem is how do I get it to start recording a show,I tried pressing the red button on the remote but nothing happens,and I can't see any record option in the menues,is there an easy way to do this.

Make sure the little switch on the bottom of the remote is set to TV. Think you have to push it to the right from memory.

I just got this working on a 320Gb HDD I had, works pretty good can you program it to record like a Topfield?

Hello all,

I just got the p54v20a for $2450 from Harvey Norman including the extended warranty and delivery.

I am really happy with the picture quality, however, the TV buzzes during bright scenes. I don't think it is bad as what Macy517 was experiencing.

I have turned the contrast down to 20, but I can hear a faint buzz when the volume is low during greyish bright scenes and can hear the buzz when the volume is loud when the screen is white (like during SBS white logo scene at the start of commercial breaks)

I read in a whirlpool.net.au post that plasma panel buzz is a normal phenomenon, but at approximately 3metres away, I would have thought it to be reasonable to not have to hear this annoying sound.

The TV is on the stand and is about 30cm away from the wall.

I am looking for advice on how to proceed.

Do I:

A ) Get the TV fixed/replaced

B ) Get an LCD instead

C ) Do nothing and just put up with the noise.

Thanks

Edited by Cal&-d

Hello all,

I just got the p54v20a for $2450 from Harvey Norman including the extended warranty and delivery.

I am really happy with the picture quality, however, the TV buzzes during bright scenes. I don't think it is bad as what Macy517 was experiencing.

I have turned the contrast down to 20, but I can hear a faint buzz when the volume is low during greyish bright scenes and can hear the buzz when the volume is loud when the screen is white (like during SBS white logo scene at the start of commercial breaks)

I read in a whirlpool.net.au post that plasma panel buzz is a normal phenomenon, but at approximately 3metres away, I would have thought it to be reasonable to not have to hear this annoying sound.

Do I:

B ) Get an LCD instead

Thanks

===============================

Go for A all the way.... it is very odd to have this buzzing noise. As for my set it is almost dead silence with the buzzing... I have rigorously tested it with mute on while having all sort of bright scenes and action scene and have not heard a single buzz. Get it over and done with while it is still an early purchased. Good luck and keep us all posted.

Try moving the TV away from the wall, like in the centre of the room and then sit the same distance away and see if you can still hear the buzz.

If you still can then get it replaced or repaired. If you can't then the problem may be room acoustics (sound reflecting from the wall behind the TV), some sound absorbing material behind the TV may fix it.

Hello all,

Do I:

B ) Get an LCD instead

Thanks

Mine is exactly the same (delivered last week) and when I spoke to Pana Services they said it was normal and that all their sets make a low buzzing noise. I normally hear buzz's where others don't but it does seem particularly loud with bright screens.

Should I speak to Panasonic again or go back to the retailer?

Edited by Siddo

Go for A all the way.... it is very odd to have this buzzing noise. As for my set it is almost dead silence with the buzzing...

Good to know that not all sets buzz. I have called Harvey Norman and they are replacing the set tomorrow. Wow, I was really impressed with their service.

Try moving the TV away from the wall, like in the centre of the room and then sit the same distance away and see if you can still hear the buzz.

Didn't help unfortunately. :(

Mine is exactly the same (delivered last week) and when I spoke to Pana Services they said it was normal and that all their sets make a low buzzing noise. I normally hear buzz's where others don't but it does seem particularly loud with bright screens.

Should I speak to Panasonic again or go back to the retailer?

Based on my good experience with Harvey Norman - I would give your retailer a call first, as Harvey Norman are replacing it without question (I was lucky and they still had one in stock). I would be fine with a buzz that you can hear from only a couple of feet away (and was expecting this), but not from my sitting position. Based on kawei8's experience, I think we each have got noisy tvs, but there is hope for quieter ones.

Sup everyone... just a heads up...

How's everyone with their tv? Hope all is well and good like my one. Everything seems to be working just fine.

Hope everyone got their buzzing tv repaired or replaced.

Preferably replaced would sound great and also got their BT-230 already as well =)

Cheers Mates!!!

So this plasma buzz effecting both Panasonic and Samsung is rather hard to avoid.

My advice is to have the set replaced only if the buzz is too hard to ignore.

From my extensive research I have came to the conclusion that the buzz comes from defective capacitors.

These major electrical companies buy these things by the millions and unfortunately some of these capacitors are defective to a degree that they output this noise (some louder than others).

From my extensive research I have came to the conclusion that the buzz comes from defective capacitors.

These major electrical companies buy these things by the millions and unfortunately some of these capacitors are defective to a degree that they output this noise (some louder than others).

If your research is correct it raises a few questions.How many of these defective capacitors can a tv carry before it stops working altogether?Is this just consumer demand for tv's to get cheaper leading to dud components being used in manufacture to save money?What can the consumer reasonably expect the new generation cheap tv to operate for before it dies?

If your research is correct it raises a few questions.How many of these defective capacitors can a tv carry before it stops working altogether?Is this just consumer demand for tv's to get cheaper leading to dud components being used in manufacture to save money?What can the consumer reasonably expect the new generation cheap tv to operate for before it dies?

These defective capacitors still work properly albeit just with this buzzing sound.

I don't agree with you that the manufacture is using cheaper components at all. In this case its as I stated out of millions of capacitors there will always be a few that are not just right.

My 7 year old plasma has buzzed since day one and is still working a treat and it runs 5-10 hrs a day.

Back to the buzzing, it is directional because inside the board each section is insulated around the capacitors so the sound can only from in front or behind and not from the sides.

These defective capacitors still work properly albeit just with this buzzing sound.

I don't agree with you that the manufacture is using cheaper components at all. In this case its as I stated out of millions of capacitors there will always be a few that are not just right.

My 7 year old plasma has buzzed since day one and is still working a treat and it runs 5-10 hrs a day.

Back to the buzzing, it is directional because inside the board each section is insulated around the capacitors so the sound can only from in front or behind and not from the sides.

Well thats ok then.I'm buggered if i know how anyone with a tv that buzzes can get a replacment though in that case :huh:.It would seem to me your at the mercy of your retailer who could just tell you it's normal tv operation.My Pana TH-P54Z1A has been whisper quiet from day one.I just muted the amp and i had to stick my head round the back of the thing to hear the faintest noise from the ventilation fans but no buzz!

Edited by ekkieTHUMP

If the “buzz” was coming from the speakers filter capacitors in the power supply could be the cause, but since that's not the case it is definitely NOT faulty capacitors so your “extensive research” was not very extensive.

Edited by Owen

If the “buzz” was coming from the speakers filter capacitors in the power supply could be the cause, but since that's not the case it is definitely NOT faulty capacitors so your “extensive research” was not very extensive.

Listen to you, rather stern choice of wording there. So you must me the know it all on this forum hey. :lol:

Who said the buzz is coming from the "speakers filter capacitors in the power supply" ?

I did not say that, so seeing that you have attacked me for voicing what my extensive research has told me then you tell us what is causing this on the samsung plasma?

Sorry I'll correct my punctuation.

If the “buzz” was coming from the speakers, filter capacitors in the power supply could be the cause.

If the “buzz” is not coming from the speakers there is NO WAY its due to faulty capacitors.

I am an electronics tech.

Sorry I'll correct my punctuation.

If the “buzz” was coming from the speakers, filter capacitors in the power supply could be the cause.

If the “buzz” is not coming from the speakers there is NO WAY its due to faulty capacitors.

I am an electronics tech.

So what is the cause of the buzz in the samsung plasma? What part it is coming from?

Probably the power supply board, pull the back panel off and with the TV operating you should be able to find the component that is vibrating and generating noise. Once identified it should be possible to apply damping to the offending component or board and mitigate or eliminated the vibration and hence noise.

WARNING, dangerous voltages are present so be bloody careful when touching anything, if in any doubt don't bloody touch.

Probably the power supply board, pull the back panel off and with the TV operating you should be able to find the component that is vibrating and generating noise. Once identified it should be possible to apply damping to the offending component or board and mitigate or eliminated the vibration and hence noise.

WARNING, dangerous voltages are present so be bloody careful when touching anything, if in any doubt don't bloody touch.

I very much doubt that the sound is coming from vibration in the samsung case. That is common on pana but not with samsungs.

Any other thoughts?

(Thinking, what am I doing in this thread?...)

But, yeah, I have a Samsung 22" monitor that has a buzz - and it's really annoying - and it goes away if you press on the edge of the screen really hard in one spot! That was a few years ago, now I remember pulling the thing apart because it sucked so badly... I couldn't find an easy way to put pressure in the right spot to fix it however.

Funny how you forget these things.

Guest macy517

Okay, I had the authorised repairer come back the other day with the replacement part. He said the Panasonics have two boards in them. Looking from the back, the one on the right is the SS board and the one of the left is the SC board. He figured the sound was coming from the SS board so he replaced that. Nothing different I'm afraid. So, as far as he is concerned, nothing else can be done.

I will be ringing Harvey Norman, Nunawading, tomorrow to see if they will keep their word and replace the TV.