Sportscenter On Espn & Espn Hd Australia

Yeah I've kind of come around as well. What I do support is ESPN moving away from being an American channel, and trying to become a more mainstream sports channel - one that competes with Fox Sports.

You only say that because your a soccer fan, those people that like American sports would prefer it to stay the way it is or to even become more American centric.

Also in regards to your blog it would help if you checked your facts. You said:

"Let’s ignore the fact that the AFL neither owns or payed for these facilities - while they have on occasion invested in stadium redevelopments and construction the funding for the facilities the AFL uses has come almost exclusively from state and federal governments."

Etihad Stadium which is what the AFL is mostly arguing about, was built by private investors in association with the AFL and after a certain amount of years reverts to being fully owned by the AFL. Other stadiums that you correctly say are not owned by the AFL but the AFL is the major tenant and is the only reason these stadiums are viable and they also have long leases on these venues.

Edited by Hosko

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have given this new local SportsCenter a go.

It is absolutely horrible, and useless. It now gives a horrible wrap up of local sport (million times worse than foxsportsnews or even the FTA's sports segments really), and now a horrible wrap up of American sports.

it focuses too much on world soccer, when straight after it is the soccer show press pass, which goes over the same stories!

It is mind-bogglingy bad, and surely it cant stay like that? It is embarassing.

To add insult to injury - the "local" stuff is clearly out of the USA - so we are receiving nearly youtube like quality from the Sydney International Tennis. It looks like it is played a million miles away!

It is simply a lose/lose for everyone. It would cost them more to run this shamoozle, when they can just use the already produced sportscenter which we had.

You only say that because your a soccer fan, those people that like American sports would prefer it to stay the way it is or to even become more American centric.

"Let’s ignore the fact that the AFL neither owns or payed for these facilities - while they have on occasion invested in stadium redevelopments and construction the funding for the facilities the AFL uses has come almost exclusively from state and federal governments."

Etihad Stadium which is what the AFL is mostly arguing about, was built by private investors in association with the AFL and after a certain amount of years reverts to being fully owned by the AFL. Other stadiums that you correctly say are not owned by the AFL but the AFL is the major tenant and is the only reason these stadiums are viable and they also have long leases on these venues.

The Great Southern Stand at the MCG was built with AFL money too and that's why half of it is the AFL members, the AFL agreed to chip in a heap of cash in return for 25000 seats for their members.

Yes, I want ESPN to become more American not less (or at least keep it the same as before).

I am glad to hear that the new Sportscenter is rubbish. Hopefully it proves a complete disaster (trashes the ESPN brand) hence ESPN are forced to reverse this stupid change.

Give us back the original Bristol or LA Sportscenter for heaven's sake.

I just wish there was a way for us to protest this such that the people in charge are made aware of the negative effect of this change. My only protest at the moment is to never watch the new show.

Dennis.

How is ESPN in the US going to help us? I would think this programming decision was decided upon by ESPN Australia.

Well there is number for viewers information line for ESPN International specifically and you just tell them you would like to give feedback or make a complaint to the specific ESPN Channel which is ESPN Australia, and they transfer me through. Its only open between 4am - 8.30am est australian time. At least You get to speak with someone and they pass the message along.

I'm sure there are plenty that would rather ESPN stay as a US-focused sports channel - I can certainly understand why, they do American sport exceptionally well. (And I quite like watching American football, occasionally some baseball.)

It's not going to happen though. ESPN are clearly trying to become a more general and less US-centric channel. ESPN is now available in 200+ countries, and is unquestionably the leader in world sports coverage. It is inevitable that ESPN will grow less US focused, especially now with their push into the UK and Europe.

I am very much for ESPN America being launched here, to ensure US sports fans don't get shafted. In fact, probably my 'most wanted' foxtel channel. I don't think it's a pipe dream either, ESPN America has proved a big success in Europe + Asia.

Off topic, but just quickly - I know Docklands is an exception to the statement I made, but most of the controversy (when I wrote the blog) was about the MCG - Docklands was the hot topic a few days afterwards. Obviously the AFL is the major tennant of major venues, but football was asking for one month in 15 years. Perfectly reasonable, and considering the boost for the economy, the AFL should be prepared to be accommodating.

Another thing, why have any soccer on it, cross to the Press Pass crew to talk about the African Cup etc and then...have Press Pass on straight after which covers what they said in SportsCenter anyway?

Not true. Press Pass is an analysis show, doesn't show many highlights, doesn't give you a wrap of results or anything. They also are very limited in what highlights they can show on Press Pass - they can only show highlights from events that ESPN has the English rights to (so only one premier league game a week, no spanish football, no champions league).

I've been convinced that a local sportscenter is unnecessary (although I'd like to see ESPN doing more local content one day, even bidding for Australian sport), but a world version of sportscenter is sorely needed. There are really no good European/World sports news programs on Australian TV - Fox does a decent job, Eurosportsnews is ok, but in no way comprehensive.

Short term, I do agree that they need to fit the primetime edition of US sportscenter back in, why not have local sportscenter/press pass from 6-7, then US sportscenter from 7-8?

I'm sure there are plenty that would rather ESPN stay as a US-focused sports channel - I can certainly understand why, they do American sport exceptionally well. (And I quite like watching American football, occasionally some baseball.)

It's not going to happen though. ESPN are clearly trying to become a more general and less US-centric channel. ESPN is now available in 200+ countries, and is unquestionably the leader in world sports coverage. It is inevitable that ESPN will grow less US focused, especially now with their push into the UK and Europe.

I am very much for ESPN America being launched here, to ensure US sports fans don't get shafted. In fact, probably my 'most wanted' foxtel channel. I don't think it's a pipe dream either, ESPN America has proved a big success in Europe + Asia.

Off topic, but just quickly - I know Docklands is an exception to the statement I made, but most of the controversy (when I wrote the blog) was about the MCG - Docklands was the hot topic a few days afterwards. Obviously the AFL is the major tennant of major venues, but football was asking for one month in 15 years. Perfectly reasonable, and considering the boost for the economy, the AFL should be prepared to be accommodating.

Not true. Press Pass is an analysis show, doesn't show many highlights, doesn't give you a wrap of results or anything. They also are very limited in what highlights they can show on Press Pass - they can only show highlights from events that ESPN has the English rights to (so only one premier league game a week, no spanish football, no champions league).

I've been convinced that a local sportscenter is unnecessary (although I'd like to see ESPN doing more local content one day, even bidding for Australian sport), but a world version of sportscenter is sorely needed. There are really no good European/World sports news programs on Australian TV - Fox does a decent job, Eurosportsnews is ok, but in no way comprehensive.

Short term, I do agree that they need to fit the primetime edition of US sportscenter back in, why not have local sportscenter/press pass from 6-7, then US sportscenter from 7-8?

I think the only way for ESPN to succeed in the long term is to have two channels.

One focused on American sport as it does now and one that focuses on world sport with a touch of Australia.

I think everyone would support this.

If this didn't happen, please leave ESPN alone and dont try and reinvent the wheel!!! (* disclaimer: except to improve the soccer coverage)

Edited by Aussie Villan

I think the only way for ESPN to succeed in the long term is to have two channels.

One focused on American sport as it does now and one that focuses on world sport with a touch of Australia.

I think everyone would support this.

If this didn't happen, please leave ESPN alone and dont try and reinvent the wheel!!! (* disclaimer: except to improve the soccer coverage)

There are other ways they could go as well. Just start ESPN2 so there is more room to fit both world and US content in, maybe make ESPN2 just 24hr sports, with ESPN1 being more sportscenter, news programs, panel shows etc.

I think having ESPN + ESPN America is the best way to go though (especially as it's the same thing they've done elsewhere) - ESPN would still have plenty American content - live sports from the US and Europe don't overlap that much, but probably put things like sportscenter on ESPN America. They have access to plenty of other content that could be seen here to make up enough for two channels - ESPN UK has a few talk shows, would love them to get some stuff from ESPN Asia...

They have access to plenty of other content that could be seen here to make up enough for two channels - ESPN UK has a few talk shows, would love them to get some stuff from ESPN Asia...

I highly doubt they will get any content from ESPN Star as its 50% owned by News Corp and they wouldn't want to do anything that could damage Fox Sports here.

Yes, an extra ESPN channel would fix this mess up. I think we all agree on that: either

* ESPN + ESPN2 (two general channels [mixture US/Euro/Aus]).

* ESPN + ESPN-US (one general channel [mixture US/Euro/Aus]), plus one focussed solely on US).

* ESPN-International + ESPN-US (one Euro/Aus channel, plus one focussed solely on US).

However, how likely is that to happen?

I'd love it......I won't hold my breath.....give us back our prime-time Sportscenter (US version) in the meantime.

Dennis.

Yes, an extra ESPN channel would fix this mess up. I think we all agree on that: either

* ESPN + ESPN2 (two general channels [mixture US/Euro/Aus]).

* ESPN + ESPN-US (one general channel [mixture US/Euro/Aus]), plus one focussed solely on US).

* ESPN-International + ESPN-US (one Euro/Aus channel, plus one focussed solely on US).

However, how likely is that to happen?

I'd love it......I won't hold my breath.....give us back our prime-time Sportscenter (US version) in the meantime.

Dennis.

I'd request one more too, ESPNEWS HD

I highly doubt they will get any content from ESPN Star as its 50% owned by News Corp and they wouldn't want to do anything that could damage Fox Sports here.

Yeah, it's a shame as some of ESPN Star's stuff is fantastic. There is content on ESPN/Star that Fox could use as well (Asian Champions league coverage, coverage of other Asian football that Fox already has the rights too + analysis shows), just a shame that because both ESPN and News Corp have a stake in it it's likely neither ESPN or Fox here will ever get much content. ESPN has taken a little in the past though, and ESPN and News Corp's relationship is healthy - in the UK Sky Sports News even promotes ESPN's games.

Anyway I'd say the likelihood of another channel from ESPN is fairly high. Possibly not for a couple of years, but they are continuing to expand the number of channels they have internationally.

Up until late november early december we had ESPNews as a filler program sometimes in the mornings and usually between 4-6 pm in the afternoons. I could live with that again. They just stripped it away off us again. I Cant handle espn australia's 8ull5hit. They scheduled nba fast break (highlights program live) twice this week and guess what the show espn history of cricket instead because sportscenter went over by 1hour. WTF

Well i know this doesn't mean australia but this is from wikipedia.

ESPNews is now planning to launch in Asia in late 2009. Although it is now currently a channel test broadcast up to this date. It also share the same feed in US feed but the datascreen format and commercial is different in Asia. It contains sports news from Asia on the datascreen courtesy of espnstar.com website itself, including advertisement from ESPN Asia, STAR Sports and other STAR TV channels both Chinese and Hindi channel programs only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPNews#Broadcast_International

Now im guessing that will mean places like Hong Kong, India etc, One thing i don't like about the above statement is that it will use different It contains sports news from Asia on the datascreen courtesy of espnstar.com website itself, which may mean they will 'break in/on top of' local ESPN NEWS , ie a Hong Kong version, now im guessing if foxtel did decided to take the feed they would only do it if ESPN australia included there own local commercial which i understand, And if ESPN news is any thing like american cable networks which repeat prime time shows throughout the night then it may be a OK decision to air a local 'asia' ESPN NEWS which would be our late daytime,

Also anyone wanted ESPN NEWS or even ESPN Australia, i know Bigpond tv provides free ESPN US & AUS sportscenter daily(+ Unmetered for bigpond customers) so when Telstra launched there T-Box later this year then you should be able to watch sportscenter US & AUS that way, Now im not sure if the T-BOX will provide live IPTV so we might not be able to get LIVE ESPN but the point is that if you want ESPN AUS and maybe ESPN NEWS available on other platforms then foxtel, Contact ESPN & Telstra, Also ISP like internode and iinet are launching Fetch TV which will provide low cost pay tv so maybe we might see ESPN on that because i don't think Fox sports will be available.

TXT@espn.com

I *accidently* turned on the Sportscenter Aus edition and noticed when they show highlights of the NBA games they usually put the broadcasters name. Now On monday they showed LA vs bucks highlights and said the broadcaster was ESPN/One HD Now thats a frikken lie. None of them broadcast that game on monday in Australia It was a Fox sports West game in the US, and today the same with NBA boston vs chicago they had broadcasters were One HD/ESPN. I agree One HD was the australian broadcaster but TNT is real broadcaster in U.S, So why is ESPN saying they broad cast it, there lying to everyone. This is completley false.

This Aus edition Sportscenter is making me sick.

I *accidently* turned on the Sportscenter Aus edition and noticed when they show highlights of the NBA games they usually put the broadcasters name. Now On monday they showed LA vs bucks highlights and said the broadcaster was ESPN/One HD Now thats a frikken lie. None of them broadcast that game on monday in Australia It was a Fox sports West game in the US, and today the same with NBA boston vs chicago they had broadcasters were One HD/ESPN. I agree One HD was the australian broadcaster but TNT is real broadcaster in U.S, So why is ESPN saying they broad cast it, there lying to everyone. This is completley false.

This Aus edition Sportscenter is making me sick.

I think in that case they are just saying who the source was, to ESPN Australia the source they had was probably ESPN US. Quite confusing, but the show overall is a waste of time. The only time I've been able to catch SportsCenter this week was at midnight when they replay the LA edition.

Last night (Saturday 6pm) they showed the LA Sportscenter edition.

Excellent; proper and complete NBA highlights plus Boomer's 2 Minute Drill.

Looks like tonight (6pm) we may also get a US edition of Sportscenter.

Is the new (waste-of-time-and-space) Aussie version of Sportscenter only a Mon-Fri thing?

Dennis.

Last night (Saturday 6pm) they showed the LA Sportscenter edition.

Excellent; proper and complete NBA highlights plus Boomer's 2 Minute Drill.

Looks like tonight (6pm) we may also get a US edition of Sportscenter.

Is the new (waste-of-time-and-space) Aussie version of Sportscenter only a Mon-Fri thing?

Dennis.

Yes Mon - fri, weekends normal U.s edition.

Looks like all of month of march as well still getting the aus edition. WORST

Yes Mon - fri, weekends normal U.s edition.

Looks like all of month of march as well still getting the aus edition. WORST

But they are leaving the weekend editions alone.....so it's not a complete disaster; the weekend 6pm editions of Sportscenter have always been the versions I've watched the most.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the change, and I want a reversal.

But, it's not as bad as it could have been.

Dennis.

I got the bull$h1t response after 3 weeks.

Thank you for your e-mail.

We appreciate your taking the time to write and share your thoughts with us regarding our SportsCenter programming in Australia and have passed your comments on to the appropriate personnel for their review and consideration.

As you may know, you will still be able to view the U.S version of SportsCenter on ESPN (7 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tuesday - Saturday, and midnights daily) and on ESPN HD (8 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tuesday - Saturday, and midnights daily).

Sincerely,

ESPN Viewer Response Team

ahhh just when its lead up to nfl playoffs and superbowl, You look for indepth coverage.

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN to launch European edition of SportsCenter

The American TV network ESPN is to launch a European edition of its flagship sports show, SportsCenter, on its digital TV channel ESPN America.

The 30-minute information and highlights bulletin, which will also be broadcast in the Middle East, will air at 7am on ESPN America in the UK with an updated show at 10.30pm.

ESPN America, which is dedicated to North American sports including baseball, basketball and American football, is a sister channel of ESPN, which picked up the rights to live Premier League and FA Cup matches previously held by Irish pay-TV outfit Setanta.

The new SportsCenter show will be anchored by Michael Kim, who has been with ESPN since 1996, and will be based at the network's headquarters in Connecticut. It will be its 13th edition around the world.

"There is a dedication and passion amongst fans of US sport throughout Europe and the Middle East," said Kim. "Our show will bring those fans the signature balance of news, great highlights and a personality each day that has been a staple of SportsCenter for decades."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/feb/0...enter-europe-uk

More information here

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/n...pn-america.html

Wonder if Australian ESPN/ESPN HD will pick it up and if they did would you watch it.

And just for anyone who cares it looks like Sweden will be picking up ESPN America HD so i guess this sportscenter uk would also be in HD.

http://www.digitalspy.com/forums/showthrea...17&page=140

Sportscenter uk website:

http://www.espnamerica.com/portal/content/SportsCenter

If it's to be on ESPN America, doesn't that mean it will be focused on American sports? If so, why not just use the American version?

My guess is that this is because broadcast restrictions in Europe where you can't show highlights of sports you don't have the rights to. The European edition will probably have highlights only of sports that are shown on ESPN America.

Guest sportshead
If it's to be on ESPN America, doesn't that mean it will be focused on American sports? If so, why not just use the American version?

My guess is that this is because broadcast restrictions in Europe where you can't show highlights of sports you don't have the rights to. The European edition will probably have highlights only of sports that are shown on ESPN America.

Exactly right, the main issue being NFL highlights.

There will be a decent amount of hockey as there's quite a strong following by viewers (obviously thru certain european countries as well).