Acer, Its Not All Bad

As I have said in previous threads, I'd been having some problems with my acer 37" TV. The TV is a year and a half old and is in for repair for the forth time. Acer rang me yesterday and said they can no longer get the parts required to fix the TV and they will replace it with a brand new in box Samsung 40" lcd tv. I am very happy with the outcome but I forgot to ask them if it was the series 6 or 7 they are sending me, I supose I will find out when it arrives. :D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad thats it broke so many times - but a good outcome!

You could also ask for a full cash refund from the retailer (depending which is more $ for you)... theyve probably arranged a store credit for you, and the retailer has offered up a comparative value samsung (at a very discount price i'd imagine)... acer will just be crediting the retailer for the goods...

Cheers,

Bitey

Bad thats it broke so many times - but a good outcome!

You could also ask for a full cash refund from the retailer (depending which is more $ for you)... theyve probably arranged a store credit for you, and the retailer has offered up a comparative value samsung (at a very discount price i'd imagine)... acer will just be crediting the retailer for the goods...

Cheers,

Bitey

I didn't want a cash refund as I only paid $1670 as a very sepcial runout deal and acer told me that the new samsung would have all of the features my old TV had plus beter specs. It could be a series 5, it would have to be the LA40A550 as it's the only series 5 with picture in picture. They told me the new TV will be sent to my house and I should recive it in the next week.

Edited by 4vclevo

To the OP -

If your Acer TV was one of their HD models (3720 or 3730 series) then you might get a new Samsung 40" B450 TV, which is HD and can be comparable to the Acer it replaces.

After reading your post, it's making me feel a lot better that I didn't take the $99 cashback but opted to extend my Acer's factory warranty to 5 years instead. No worries till March 2012 !

To the OP -

If your Acer TV was one of their HD models (3720 or 3730 series) then you might get a new Samsung 40" B450 TV, which is HD and can be comparable to the Acer it replaces.

After reading your post, it's making me feel a lot better that I didn't take the $99 cashback but opted to extend my Acer's factory warranty to 5 years instead. No worries till March 2012 !

It was the ACER AT3705 HMGW 37" which is a full hd 1080p TV, the picture quality was good but the sound was beter than any other I have heard. My sister has the series 6 samsung 46" and it didn't sound half as good as the acer, but the samsung picture was alot beter.

I liked the acer tv, acer were good in that they always tried to fix it but all up it spent 5 months of the year and a half that I ownd it at the repair center.

It has a 3 year acer warranty, and I was very worrid they would just keep patching it up untill the warranty was over and then I would have to get another TV. Thankfully that didn't happan and I should recive my new samsung within a week.

Edited by 4vclevo

Where did you get a box to send the TV to Acer? I'm about to send my Acer AT3705 into Acer for warranty repairs, but the instructions they sent me say specifically that it can't be the original packaging. But I've got no idea where to get another box of similar size to pack it in...

Where did you get a box to send the TV to Acer? I'm about to send my Acer AT3705 into Acer for warranty repairs, but the instructions they sent me say specifically that it can't be the original packaging. But I've got no idea where to get another box of similar size to pack it in...

Gday, I sent mine in the original box the first time and they sent it back in a smaller box, so I've been useing that ever since.

On another note, my new TV arrived today, it's a samsung LA40B530P7F, not what I was hopeing for but good all the same.

So have Acer stopped making TV's altogether now?

Even though I've just replaced my AT3705 with a new Samsung UA46B6000, the Acer served me well.

They still make TV's up to 24".

I have been watching the new samsung to night and am very happy with it, the picture quality is very good.

Thanks for that - I might use my original box then.

Yeah, my Acer's served me very well too - I've only contacted the customer service lately cause it's developing vertical banding and dark smears on the right-hand side of the screen that are getting darker and harder to ignore. Pity, it's been a great unit otherwise.

Thanks for that - I might use my original box then.

Yeah, my Acer's served me very well too - I've only contacted the customer service lately cause it's developing vertical banding and dark smears on the right-hand side of the screen that are getting darker and harder to ignore. Pity, it's been a great unit otherwise.

If it's still under warranty and needs a new screen then you will most likely have the same outcome as me.

If it's still under warranty and needs a new screen then you will most likely have the same outcome as me.

... which is a good outcome, IMO.

I've heard too many horror stories about dodgy manufacturer warranties and the lengths to which customers have to go in order to get the service that should be delivered as a part of their rights.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting...I'm wondering what's actually the cause of the problem with mine. Acer's had it for 2 weeks or so now, I emailed them yesterday for updates and got told "Your Television is in our Repair Centre currently awaiting spare parts." :(

I have an Acer 42" that's coming up to 3 years old at Christmas and again has served me well, but lately is starting to develop dark smears on the RHS that are starting to annoy me. There not so bad when you use it as as a TV with moving images, but I also have a media PC that use through it and when you have the desktop displayed it really stands out. The TV has a 5 year warranty, used the cashback to extend the warranty another 2 years. Reading some of the horror stories about Acer's service department on the different forums I was wondering how your experience has been and how did you contact them. Are dark smears a legitimate service gripe? Should I expect a new TV as a replacement ?

Also have an Acer 32" TV which I use as a monitor and has never given any trouble in the 2 years I have owned it, but its probably never racked up the in service time on it that the 42" TV has.

That's the same as me - dark smears on the righthand side, especially annoying when using my media centre PC. I'm still awaiting to hear what they'll do - it was collected a few weeks ago and shipped off to Sydney, now it's "currently awaiting spare parts". In terms of how I contacted them, I lodged a service request online.

• 2 weeks later...

AT3201W about 4 years old, (Nice of it to wait until it was out of warranty), went into LCD hospital 08/05/2009 still awaing parts. And the repairer thought some of the generic brands were bad with support.

I've now banned anything Acer at home or in the business.

From Acer's perspective I might be the 0.1% failure in customer service, but from my perspective it is a 100% failure.

Samsung got the business to replace the TV in my son's bedroom as I'd given up ever seeing the Acer again.

Glad to hear that some people get service, it gives me a glimmer of hope.

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...
Adhoc any feedback on how your Acer TV repair is progressing?

Yep, I contacted them a couple of weeks ago, they said they'd look into it. I got a call later that day saying the panel was stuffed, the TV would need to be replaced since Acer don't make TVs anymore (replacement will have same specs, same size if not slightly bigger), and I am currently waiting for the replacement to arrive! :D

Looks like a Samsung 40" B530 coming your way ........

It's apparently just arrived at home. But not a Sammy.

It's a TECO TA42N1PR (Official Site). I think it's equivalent specs to the Acer, but I've never heard of the brand. Anyone else got any experiences with TECO?

I'll report more later when I've had a chance to play with it.

Well...it's not too bad. I've hooked up my HTPC to it and bumped up the res to 1920x1080, but it doesn't look like it's displaying at a native res (slightly 'blurred'), and there's no 1:1 pixel mapping. :'(

No PiP either, which my Acer had, but I never used it anyway.

• 1 year later...
Yep, I contacted them a couple of weeks ago, they said they'd look into it. I got a call later that day saying the panel was stuffed, the TV would need to be replaced since Acer don't make TVs anymore (replacement will have same specs, same size if not slightly bigger), and I am currently waiting for the replacement to arrive! :D

Just a footnote to my Acer TV problems, I meant to post this ages ago but forgot. Last December I purchased a new Sony Bravia 46" because I was getting pissed off with the Acer PQ (Black smears etc). Very happy with the Sony so I retired the Acer to sit with its face to the wall in my study thinking I will leave it there for a few months and sometime in 2010 would claim my warranty as others have done, as I have a 5 year warranty. Well the year went by and I had nearly forgotten about it. So I decided to turn it on again and low and behold all traces of the black smears have disappeared. Its like new again. So I have taken it up to our holiday home to use and its been a gem. However, I do switch it off at the rear when we leave so it has no trickle power to the circuit board and components. It is still like it was when we first got it. I am running DVD/STB via component cables and the PQ is excellent. So at this rate I am never going to get a new set, never mind it deserves a nice home.